Thinking of booking RCCL?

I'm in the opposite position of you - I've done 5 RCCL cruises but I've been trying to talk my wife into a Carnival one just to see the differences.

A couple notes on that: We did a Carnival cruise in 1984, but its not fair to compare that to recent RCCL cruises because times have changed. We almost did a Carnival cruise last February - ended up doing RCCL, met some people on the Carnival cruise we would have taken - they said food was great, service lousy. From what I've seen on these boards, I'd expect slightly better food on Carnival (I have no complaints personally about RCCL's food), but better service on RCCL.

We have been on 3 cruises all with Carnival and have 2 more already booked.. We have really enjoyed all and have NO REAL complaints. But thought we would try anyother cruise line. What are some of the differance, besides the cost?

I've cruised Carnival, RC, and Princess. Carnival and RC are very similar. I like the food better on Carnival, but you won't go hungry on RC. I've had a wonderful time on both lines. I don't have any major complaints about either line! I think it is fun to try other cruiselines and I plan to try different ones in the future. RC doesn't have self-serve laundries, but that has only been a problem for me on our long cruises. RC ships are beautiful and have a nice flow to them. (I've been watching too much HGTV!):) Have fun whatever you decide!:)

There are a lot of similarities. I saw it once described that RCCL was a notch down on the whoopie scale than Carnival. I would have to say that was so regarding the decor of the ship. Some Carnival ships are definately garish. :eek: RCCL ships are more elegant. A lot of marble, glass, wood, and light. Our first two cruises on Carnival were wonderful but something just didn't fit right with us and wanted to try something different. We both loved our RCCL cruise! So much so, I'm not sure we would go back to Carnival

The ages of passengers is about the same. As to their conduct, I saw more bad behaving guests on Carnival than RCCL (yelling at staff for no reason calling them f..ing idiots (more than once and more than one passenger) - all over nothing:eek: For example, a guys wife slipped on the deck getting out of the pool and he began berating the staff for being so f..ing stupid that they couldn't keep the water mopped off the deck! That comment and others I saw/heard were absolutely not the employee's fault. I felt sorry for the employees. Maybe that was why they weren't as warm and friendly?? I also saw a lot of wife beater tshirts, shorts, and flip flops in the MDR. Hmm, maybe it was because I was on an RCCL cruise to Alaska that I didn't see any of that in the dining room with them?DISCLAIMER: I am not painting everyone with the same brush!! I think because of the lower price, you get a few more passengers on Carnival that, perhaps, are a bit lower class. Now not everyone. But you know the saying one bad apple spoils the bunch? Not as well refined maybe????:confused: Sort of like if I were to sail on Regent Seven Seas, I doubt I am refined enough. You could probably go on the boards after I cruised with them and found some reference to the "white trash" that just sailed with them, LOL.

I like the layouts of the ship on RCCL. I didn't have a bad meal on the RCCL cruise so to say that the food it better - I don't know. I think that the buffet area is better laid out than on the Carnival ships and I thought it did have better offerings. They do have some ways to "get your money" on RCCL. Like a surcharge for Johnny Rockets, Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream, Mochas, etc. But I think that is becoming industry wide. You will only find soda in a can on Carnival which I thought odd considering from the gun it is cheaper and less bulky with less to get rid of later. You certainly won't find the wonderful pizza on RCCL!

Try it. You never know till you do if it is something you will like. At this point in our life, we are willing to pay the higher price to go with RCCL.

We have been on both although haven't been on CCL for a number of years. We have brought our kids on both, both when they were young and into their late teens. We prefer RCL, particularly my wife because we think (in our opinion) that the service is better and their ships are nicer. We went on Carnival Legend when it was very new and had a great time. I liked the late night comedian on Carnival and the laundry facilities came in handy but overall, I would pick RCL, given a choice. The food might be a bit better on Carnival (the pizza is great) but I have never had a bad meal on RCL (I am not a picky eater). I have no doubt that I will cruise Carnival in the future. Take a shot with RCL and I'm sure you will have a great time.

Archived