Bad Reviews From Cranky People

lushou

To plan my trip I read majority of the bad reviews first and view pictures. I see if there is a pattern or theme. From there I ignore the top and bottom 10 percent. If a ship sinks someone will thank the line for the water excursion. If the ship rocks someone would complain about it being surrounded by water. I am quite average so I know I can have a good time where 80 percent of posters had a good to great time. The rest will be up to me. The only times I have been really disappointed with areas of my vacation, were times when I could not find enough mix review to adjust my expectation. Two of those times were with Princess and one with Sunset at the Palms. Not enough to ruin my vacation, that would take a lot. The good reviews I use to get excited about my trip, the bad ones to adjust my expectation. I enjoy reading them both, and try to do some without judgment but some level of appreciation. Many make me laugh and I never knock a good laugh. I laugh at the ones who had the heavenly experience and the ones for which it was hell. Don't you have to die to experience either:eek:

Good or bad, I hate knowing so much about my vacation and even digital camera. It takes away the sense of wonder. In the good old days there was something wonderful about going some place you did not know everything about and waiting for a few days before seeing your pics. Apart of me likes finding out in the moment, adjusting as you go along. I have been to places where information, no matter how much, won't make your vacation come off as planned but always memorable.

I'd submit that all those cranky reviews generally come from lifelong cranky people who have nothing better to do than write cranky remarks about what they consider their perception of cranky experiences on what the rest of the world considers another beautiful day waking up on this side of the turf.

Easy solution...life is too short baby. Ignore the complainers for their role in life is to get you down. Why even bother getting down before you even leave for the ship? Live life as if it were a good day, a new day everyday and enjoy your cruise regardless of what the "crankies" say.

Ciao for now!!!

I am definately a glass half full kind of person, but there is a part of human nature that makes us remember negative things. Think about your day. If 100 nice things happen and 1 ugly, we start the dinner with "you won't believe what happened to me...." I actively work against doing that, but it seems that we are wired a bit that way.

I like reading all of the reviews. Most of the negative ones make me laugh or shake my head in wonder, but some have a nugget of information that helps me enjoy my trip more. For the most part it is just entertainment.

I admit to having one very awful vacation (resort, not cruise) that to this day I believe they were totally off base and I was a saint...but when I came home I just went on with my life. I would never go there again, but I didn't write a review on line or letters to the owners. I rarely think of it unless we are talking about trips from hell. Even those have a comic story during a party!!!

As everything in life, it is 1% what happens and 99% how you react to it. It is a rare event that can't be made better by a smile and patience.

I have to throw my two cents in for what it is worth--before I book a cruise I read all the reviews I can, which I believe gives you a general sense of the ship and crew--not to mention what to expect. I truly believe some people just aren't cruisers--like us. If someone complains about everything--well then, they just aren't part of the club--they don't get the whole cruising experience, just like --complaining about long lines and food...Now, Cruisers--like us --know that in order to have an amazing vacation--for starters, stop being so critical, sit back--order a tropical drink with an umbrella and cherries in it, and enjoy the buffet.

I don't write reviews very often for my past cruises, I do write reviews on TripAdvisor, mostly because I depend on it pretty heavily when I travel and I believe it gives you a general sense of a eating establishment or hotel if you read several reviews. I wrote some shining reviews about my favorite local resturants an got some nasty e-mails from people accusing me of working for them--which makes me laugh....I work in a healthcare field.

Bottom line--we happy, easygoing, laid-back cruisers just enjoy ourselves so much we don't waste our time complaining--we are busy booking another cruise. ;)

CoffeequeenJ

I was on 8 cruises before finding out that there were discussion boards about cruising. So hadn't seen any reviews bad or good before then. But I do find the really bad ones amusing. After my last cruise, I did put together a review that I posted on the Princess board (never got around to submitting for the main review section). Someone else from my roll call started a thread relaying her many complaints, including that the pineapple wedges in the buffet had their rinds still on. I wasn't the only one rolling eyes over that one.

My mother went on her first and only cruise just some years ago (the 4 day Royal Car. Baja one). After she and my sister got home, I asked her for her impressions, expecting her to complain about sea sickness and everything else. She had no trouble with the patch, she enjoyed her dining companions, she enjoyed the food, she enjoyed the entertainment. So even a chronic complainer can still enjoy a cruise.

I've been wanting to ask this question for a long time. Do you think that the price one pays for a cruise can affect expectations and enjoyment of the cruise experience? My husband and I have cruised in balcony cabins and inside cabins. Never a suite. I'm afraid that we could have certain higher expectations if we spent more money and could change the way we feel about our cruise. Is this a dumb question, or do you think that the people who complain are the ones who spend the most money?

BTW, our most memorable cruise to date is the one in the inside cabin. It had more to do our fellow cruisers and the fact that we were out and about meeting people and making new friends.

This is just my opinion so please don't razz me. How can I put this tactfully? Ok, I think maybe people who are - lets just say - better off financially and maybe not had to work for it too hard ie. family money might be a little less understanding of the hard work some people have had to do to get on in life. There are a lot of people on a cruise that have saved up hard for a long time to have a cruise and are happy and appreciative of everything. Then there are those that think because they are rich that they look down on the ordinary rabble and are not happy no matter what - because - they expect perfection, indeed demand perfection and if they don't get it they are very ticked off.

BUT at the same time I know people who are multi-millionaires who are wonderful people and would never dream of being too demanding. AND I know people who are so unhappy because they have no money and think the world is against them..... probably would be a good idea to get off their backsides and get a job - might help.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it takes all kinds and there will be that group of people onboard every cruise that no matter what happens, they will still have "s**t on the liver"!:eek:

I personally can't stand the demanding, loudmouthed fools that embarass themselves and everyone around them. I can't help myself and usually say something.

I've been wanting to ask this question for a long time. Do you think that the price one pays for a cruise can affect expectations and enjoyment of the cruise experience? My husband and I have cruised in balcony cabins and inside cabins. Never a suite. I'm afraid that we could have certain higher expectations if we spent more money and could change the way we feel about our cruise. Is this a dumb question, or do you think that the people who complain are the ones who spend the most money?

BTW, our most memorable cruise to date is the one in the inside cabin. It had more to do our fellow cruisers and the fact that we were out and about meeting people and making new friends.

RR:

Absolutely!

Nearly everything in life can be viewed on a "cost basis".... houses, cars, boats, time shares, vacations (paid low = love; paid high = not so good).

We all have expectations. We all have opinions.

My motto has always been "have no expectations about anything" (but always hope for the best).

With no expectations, one can NEVER be disappointed.... only pleasantly surprised!

(And I like reading ALL the reviews!)

Let's face it. Some folks are only happy when they are miserable!;) You have to consider the source of some of the reviews and take them with a grain of salt. Since misery loves company, maybe the cruise lines ought to consider a cruise for those who are constantly miserable. They could sit around and complain to one another all day!!

Although normally a chipper optimist, I was embarrassed to realize I had been whining about the hard beds to other dinners at our table on our cruise last year. :eek: Hey, some people love them but I don't so it's MY problem (we're bringing our own fluffier foam topper on our Sept - b2b Alaska; great plan since we'll leave the foam and fill the empty space in the suite case with season-end sale items :D ). It's possible that some growsers don't realize at the time how lame their complaints are in the scheme of things, and that they can take personal responsibility to change something that bothers them.

There are a lot of people on a cruise that have saved up hard for a long time to have a cruise and are happy and appreciative of everything. Then there are those that think because they are rich that they look down on the ordinary rabble and are not happy no matter what - because - they expect perfection' date=' indeed demand perfection and if they don't get it they are very ticked off. [/quote']

I have seen the opposite happen often enough. Those that have to save for a while seem to think that they are spending a fortune and therefore demand the utmost in service etc and find fault with every little thing. I have also been with those that could buy the ship that are just so polite and down to earth.

RR:

Absolutely!

Nearly everything in life can be viewed on a "cost basis".... houses, cars, boats, time shares, vacations (paid low = love; paid high = not so good).

We all have expectations. We all have opinions.

My motto has always been "have no expectations about anything" (but always hope for the best).

With no expectations, one can NEVER be disappointed.... only pleasantly surprised!

(And I like reading ALL the reviews!)

Although we mustn’t forget the complainer’s motto.;)

‘A pessimist is never disappointed.’:(

Since misery loves company, maybe the cruise lines ought to consider a cruise for those who are constantly miserable. They could sit around and complain to one another all day!!

We have been to C.C. meetings where other passengers wanted to participate to complain because our meeting was called Cruise Critic.:rolleyes: Princess has become smarter now and does not post any meetings in the Patter anymore.

I am beginning to think that might be best - we usually like to sit at a table of 6 or 8 but often get complainers or "one-uppers" - neither of which I can take.

Ron

It is nice to meet people onboard, but I usually only eat with people I know. If you meet someone onboard at one of the lounges and they start to complain you can politely excuse yourself (and run:D) not so easy at dinner.

My favorite is when i read about people complaining about the size of the bathroom and cabin. Do they forget they are on a ship. LMFAO . Let them spend $3000 to $4000 for a bigger bath.

After being on the inside cabin of RCCL and Carnival, I knew I would be fine with 2 kids in small places. I have never felt more cramped in cabin as I did on Princess. I went in thinking a couple of inches can't make that much of a difference.....wrong:eek: As for the bathroom, I stepped in the shower and b00S were touching the shower wall and my butt was still hitting the sink. I am working on the junk in the trunk but nature already turned 'dem' Bomaby Mangos into bowling pins. For my size and condition I should not have this problem. Proper etiquette has taught me never to complain about size, so this is sharing of experience as most reviews are meant to do. Wait a second I can complain, proper etiquette states not to point and laugh.....I think:confused: Now I have to take this out of my review in progress :-)

2926671630101627832S425x425Q85.jpg2701813640101627832S425x425Q85.jpg

We are not being objective. We're complaining (or praising) based on our personal perception of the way we're being treated.

And, each of us is unique (just like everyone else, lol) so we each will have a personal slant that is also unique.

So I take any complaint or praise and try to see how it fits with my personality and I accept or disregard in my own fashion. (see my previous posts regarding Princess pizza for some of my own personal opinions).

All that being said, when facts (rather than opinions) are presented, I try to put a little bit more weight on them. However, sometime it's difficult separating fact and opinion.

Bottom line: when I cruise, I'm on vacation. If I don't like something, I won't do it again. If I like something, I'll take advantage of every opportunity.

I try very hard to use the words "in my opinion" when I'm expressing my opinion. Sometimes it works.

Do you think that perhaps the first time poster who posts a bad review just MIGHT be confused about the name of this board?

I remember reading a post once about someone who showed up at a Cruise Critic get-together on a ship to complain about the cruise.

Do you think that perhaps the first time poster who posts a bad review just MIGHT be confused about the name of this board?

I remember reading a post once about someone who showed up at a Cruise Critic get-together on a ship to complain about the cruise.

yes, read post #62.

Sometimes it is fun reading about complaints...it's sometimes funny that what annoys some people is what pleases others.

I read somewhere (not on this board though) that someone complained there was too much shrimp! Who complains about too much seafood? Maybe if you're allergic.

There are times though that some things are worth complaining about, haha! :)

I walk with a Service Dog; I enter an elevator, on a formal night [not too full, there's room to maneuver], a lady standing in a corner opposite me says; "I don't like dogs", I say I'm sorry you don't.

I try and move myself and Brenda as far away from her as I can. We stop at a floor and 2 more people get on the elevator; a woman & her husband, dressed in a lovely, formal gown & tux, the woman spots "Brenda" and says; "I love dogs, and miss my own, may I touch her", I say, "How wonderful and, of course you may!" And, she maneuvers herself closer to me and Brenda. She leaves the elevator with a big smile and a wink to Brenda.

The "dog hater" moves closer and says; "may I touch your dog", I say, "please do!" We became very fast friends [in that elevator] and she would stop to touch or talk to Brenda every time we bumped into her.

Moral of the Story: Everyone has some love inside them....it just takes another lovely person [or a dog] to bring it out!!!!!

this is a GREAT story!

I would love to be on a cruise with you and your dog! :D

I feel bad when I read a review that is not positive because it means a fellow cruiser did not enjoy his cruise. For some people a cruise is a major expense that may have been looked forward to for quite some time. To come away so disappointed after spending a lot of money on, perhaps, their only vacation of the year is a sad situation IMHO.

I feel CC boards are a place where we can relate our wonderful and not so wonderful experiences to our fellow cruisers. Who are we to judge whether something important to someone else is valid.

If you're tired of reading negative reviews, don't read them. It's a simple as that.

Lew

Nicely said Lew! I posted what I felt was a positive review recently, but did put in the few minor things that were "off", not because they annoyed us or ruined our vacation because I said many times that they didnt and I also said how much we enjoyed our trip. I got blasted by someone because she wanted to hear about things that I didn't write about! And she proceeded to rip my review apart! I had told everyone if they had questions, feel free to ask. It was rude of this person and to be honest, I will never post another review on these boards again. If I ever decide to post one it will be in the "review" section so that I can't be ripped apart for not giving information that someone wants or saying something that someone doesn't want to hear, despite the fact that it was MY review and MY thoughts on MY trip!

I walk with a Service Dog; I enter an elevator, on a formal night [not too full, there's room to maneuver], a lady standing in a corner opposite me says; "I don't like dogs", I say I'm sorry you don't.

I try and move myself and Brenda as far away from her as I can. We stop at a floor and 2 more people get on the elevator; a woman & her husband, dressed in a lovely, formal gown & tux, the woman spots "Brenda" and says; "I love dogs, and miss my own, may I touch her", I say, "How wonderful and, of course you may!" And, she maneuvers herself closer to me and Brenda. She leaves the elevator with a big smile and a wink to Brenda.

The "dog hater" moves closer and says; "may I touch your dog", I say, "please do!" We became very fast friends [in that elevator] and she would stop to touch or talk to Brenda every time we bumped into her.

Moral of the Story: Everyone has some love inside them....it just takes another lovely person [or a dog] to bring it out!!!!!

Dogs have a way of bringing out the best in MOST people!

I have been very lucky with all my cruises. I enjoyed every one even though they were not 100% perfect. I think that is where the problem lies. People hear how wonderful cruising is only to find out there are so many variables to the experience. Weather, causing ports to be missed, rough ride when seas are stormy, or maybe they had that famous experience of a toilet not working. Then there is the occasional A/C problems.... and so on, you get my point. ;)

Any of these and many more things could happen on any cruise ship. I consider this part of the crusing experience, and what makes every cruise an adventure. I certainly would not be happy if every cruise was the same. I suppose if anyone is looking for a "cookie cutter" type cruise they will not be happy and should choose a different type of vacation.

This will be my 3rd cruise and my husbands 2nd. I didnt have a good experience on my first cruise...it was not on a Princess boat, so when I went on our Princess cruise 2 years ago, my expectations were low. We had the BEST time on the cruise! I was amazed at the level of service that we received! We were so impressed and happy with everything that we went and bought FCC our 3rd day on the ship! LOL

We are now going on our 2nd Princess cruise and cant wait!:D

I do have to say that it amazes me what people will complain about though. One complaint that i read before our first cruise was that there wasnt enough food. WHAT?!?!?!? You could gain 100lbs if you ate all the food avaliable to you on the ship!! LOL

Archived