Southwest Airlines seating nightmare

rzdj96

Has anyone else experienced the seating nightmare on Southwest? We thought that "chair hogs" were a problem until we experienced this air carrier. Upon boarding, we were "shot gunned" to fend for a seat. They specifically state that there's no assigned seats. One lady had 8 seats with packages on each of them. When trying to sit down, she stated that "these seats are mine and they're saved"! The stewardess commented that there's "No reserved seating"! At this time, the lady started all kinds of indignant comments and the stewardess turned and walked away (thus avoiding the confrontation). Another stewardess, when asked for assistance, ignored the passengers pleas. Just curious if anyone else experienced this "cattle car" seating dysfunction by Southwest Airlines!

SORRY you had a problem-we never have on SW. Doesn't mean that this will ever happen again. Sounds as if you should put this in writing to the "powers that be" at SW Airlines-give them particulars, i.e. Flt info and names of personnel if you remember.

I've never had that problem on SWA, thankfully. What boarding group were you in? If B or C, I can see that might happen. I always check-in right at the 24 hour mark and get group A.

Knowing me, I would have plopped my butt down after the flight attendant said there was no seat saving.

We had the same problem. We had checked in 24 hours earlier but there was a group of cheerleaders that took up about half the plane that had all the A's. Since they were a group we always wondered if they didn't get to check in before the rest of us. My DD and I wanted to sit next to each other and a woman had a bunch of seats saved. We asked to sit in them and she said that they were for people coming later. When we complained to the stewardess he threatened to throw US off the plane for complaining(and no we were not making a scene). So apparently they say no seat saving but like Carnival not enforced. I guess this is the price we pay for the cheaper fares but it is very frustrating. We tend to fly airtran now more often because at least we get seats that no one can take and lately they have been cheaper. Cindy

My DD and I wanted to sit next to each other and a woman had a bunch of seats saved. We asked to sit in them and she said that they were for people coming later.

That's where you went wrong. You should have sat first and discussed it later. Sure the person who was there first would be mad, but then the flight attendant would be threatening to throw HER off the plane, as you sit silently, and she gets upset.

Seat saving is someone else's problem, not yours. There is no guideline that says people can save seats, or that all members of a party should be able to sit together.

I've never had that problem on SWA, thankfully. What boarding group were you in? If B or C, I can see that might happen. I always check-in right at the 24 hour mark and get group A.

Knowing me, I would have plopped my butt down after the flight attendant said there was no seat saving.

We (just getting off our cruise) were in category B for boarding. The lady boarded with a child (who was seated by himself in the saved row in front of her, 3/4 into the acft). Her group of friends were in boarding category C. We had a great cruise and didn't wish it destroyed during the flight home. If Southwest is that ignorant to not expecting problems when uncontrolled seating exists, we don't care to fly them. It's not that difficult to load an aircraft seat by seat.

We (just getting off our cruise) were in category B for boarding. The lady boarded with a child (who was seated by himself in the saved row in front of her, 3/4 into the acft). Her group of friends were in boarding category C. We had a great cruise and didn't wish it destroyed during the flight home. If Southwest is that ignorant to not expecting problems when uncontrolled seating exists, we don't care to fly them. It's not that difficult to load an aircraft seat by seat.

I would have been upset as well. Especially since the flight attendant didn't take charge of the situation.

I can see why it would leave a bad taste.

Like someone else said.....write to SWA. Not that it will do you any good now, but if enough people complain about it they might address the problem in the future.

I've never understood why folks who want to sit together don't ARRIVE together! It's one thing to get a chair for the wife or hubby at the pool, if one gets there 10 mins. before the other...(IMO!)

But, sending someone ahead to the theater for 1/2 hour to hold 2 rows...not cool. Same with the airline seats...where's the rest of the party???

I, too, like "assigned" airline seating!

Between my DH and I, one of us fly SWA just about every week. We have only encountered the seat saving one time and the flight attendant took care of it immediately. SWA is the best airline in my opinion because they don't charge you to check your bags and they always seem to get you there when some of the others can't. Their employees are some of the most pleasant in the industry and most act like they truly enjoy their job and are glad to have you as a customer. I am sorry you had to encounter these rude passengers but that is the exception and not the norm.

The problem with plopping down in the seats is all the carryon's that are in the seats. It is one thing to plop in an empty seat but another to move another's belonging when the steward is backing the person saving the seat because they don't want to get involved. It is very easy to get thrown off of SW (ever seen airline?) and I did not want to spend the night at BWI. We did write a letter about our experience but once again never got a follow up and judging from airlines leaving passengers on planes for 6 hours I don't think they care too much. I think our instance might of been worse because of the group of young cheerleaders on the plane and they were being very considerate of them to include encouraging them do cheers on a ten oclock pm flight where alot of others would have liked to sleep or quietly read. Cindy

If someone tells me the seat is reserved or taken, I inform them that it sure is - by ME.

It is rare that I see this on Southwest, but it happens.

I will be flying SWA again next week and will be keeping an eye out.

As for contacting SWA, I definitely would - there are several ways:

http://www.southwest.com/about_swa/luvbook.html

I have never had a problem although i have to say i am religous about checking in on line at the 24 hr mark-- I prefer it to assigned seating most of the time since every time I get an assigned seat it usually come along with -- a screaming child...snorer ..or person who needs way nore room than the seat allows ...

I am a road warrior and have had to recently fly SWA due to the location of my business.

SWA is a budget carrier, plain and simple. I do not like, nor have I ever liked having to stand like cattle in a feed lot in order to get on the plane and having no choice in who sits next to me (or being able to check for empty seats on a seat map).

And the 24-hour thing having to check in... I have checked in where it was too early and kept retrying over and over and as soon as was allowed to check in was already at number A50! I don't know how 35 other people got ahead of me. (For those that don't know, the Business Select customers get the first 15 seat numbers reserved for them.)

I'll only fly SWA when I absolutely must, but will make sure every other avenue is researched ahead of time where I can choose my seat and can continually make updates to my seat choice if I so choose. JMHO

If the second person is on the plane and in the restroom. I have seen a SO head to the restroom then get stuck back there for long periods of time (ala Salmon swimming up stream). If I want a seat I will usually ask if there is someone in the restroom - if they aren't on the plane, I would tell them that seats are first come first serve and sit down. I've never had a problem personally and find that the open seating allows them to board considerably faster than the other airlines meaning more on time departures and arrivals. :)

I have never flown with them as of yet, since the places we have gone they don't fly to.

But anyways, they do that for a reason as it gets planes out on time. I personally like to have my seat pick out ahead of time. But if SW was cheaper then any other airline I would fly with them and suck it up on the seat picking.

Sorry you had a bad experience, but at least they got you home. Which means you had a GREAT landing. :p ;)

GREAT Landing = can use the airplane again and walk away on you own.:D

Good Landing = can't use the airplane but walk away on you own.:o

Bad Landing = can't use the airplane again and didn't walk away on you own. :eek:

Any landing you walk away from is a good landing... :D

I am a road warrior and have had to recently fly SWA due to the location of my business.

SWA is a budget carrier, plain and simple. I do not like, nor have I ever liked having to stand like cattle in a feed lot in order to get on the plane and having no choice in who sits next to me (or being able to check for empty seats on a seat map).

And the 24-hour thing having to check in... I have checked in where it was too early and kept retrying over and over and as soon as was allowed to check in was already at number A50! I don't know how 35 other people got ahead of me. (For those that don't know, the Business Select customers get the first 15 seat numbers reserved for them.)

I'll only fly SWA when I absolutely must, but will make sure every other avenue is researched ahead of time where I can choose my seat and can continually make updates to my seat choice if I so choose. JMHO

fyi the first 20 or so are reserved for the business class in case they show up. They get to board first. you have to pay alot more for these seats. Also southwest heard all the complaints about the cattle calling and have changed this. you dont have to arrive hours before your flight and stand in the cattle call area. You now just wait until they call a, b or c and you wait a few minutes before they start boarding.

I have heard many couples will sit in the aisle and window seat and leave the middle seat opened so that no one would sit there, thus they have more room to themselves.

Also for all the comments, first, why would you want to sit anywhere near a bunch of cheerleaders, I would rather sit in the back where it would be more quiet. Also why would you want to plop yourself down in a sit that is 'reserved" and then sit the entire flight feeling the fumes of the bad lady. Also I would never complain on a plane even if I Know I am right because in an instant you will find yourself off the plane and being considered a risk to fly. I would wait until after you get home, write a letter to southwest and maybe get a credit for your next flight.

I love Southwest! I have only had the best flight attendants - they are nice and funny! I have never encountered a seat saver, though I am usually one of the first people on the plane. I have a fear of flying - though it's getting better and better - at least I get on planes now - and I can't stand to sit in the back and look up the long expanse of the tube (I shudder just thinking about that) so I am fanatical about getting in the A group.

Sorry, can someone explain this seating situation?

I amd pretty sure I flew Southwest within the last year or so (they are the blue and red and orange planes, right?) and I just had to check in online and had an assigned seat for the flight. So does your boarding pass not have any seat number on it? Maybe I am really confused and I didn't fly southwest, but I could have sworn I did, but I never faced any seating issues like the ones you are describing! Yikes!

I fly alot and Southwest has the best service over American, Delta etc. I check in always at 24 hrs ahead and have never been past A30. The first 15 do cost more and not worth it to me. I am fine as long as I am in the first half of the plane. Have never had a problem with people saving seats either. I think that this type of seating gets the people on the plane faster and gets us out of the gate faster. Can't beat the price also.

Sorry, can someone explain this seating situation?

I amd pretty sure I flew Southwest within the last year or so (they are the blue and red and orange planes, right?) and I just had to check in online and had an assigned seat for the flight. So does your boarding pass not have any seat number on it? Maybe I am really confused and I didn't fly southwest, but I could have sworn I did, but I never faced any seating issues like the ones you are describing! Yikes!

With online check in you are given a letter A,B or C followed by a number and this is just your space in line once you get there. Before it was just letters and regardless of when I got to the airport there were always people sitting on the floor waiting. Now you have an assigned space in the line so you don't have to sit and wait. Hope that makes sense, when they call A I get up and go to the assigned # spot on my boarding pass.

I know many people dislike SWA but I personally love them and will fly them whenever possible :) As for the OP's question, I have never seen what you described but would have been equally ticked, people never cease to amaze me. A bit off topic but on our last cruise, it was DD's first she loved the shows and every night she would try to get a front row seat but the same family would send a few kids and the grandparents down to save the entire row, I thought that was pretty ignorant!

There are only two restrooms on Southwest planes, so that pretty much limits the number of people that can use that excuse.

I, for one, am tired of the "majors" who have once again raised baggage fees for non-FF on that airline. Next time they go bankrupt, I hope they STAY bankrupt.

Similar to the "majors", Southwest does have an elite program - the "A-list". If you fly 32 one-way (16 rt) on them in a year, you will typically end up with an "A" pass on all flights the following year.

http://www.southwest.com/rapid_rewards/aList_membership.html

Archived