Southwest Airlines seating nightmare

rzdj96

Has anyone else experienced the seating nightmare on Southwest? We thought that "chair hogs" were a problem until we experienced this air carrier. Upon boarding, we were "shot gunned" to fend for a seat. They specifically state that there's no assigned seats. One lady had 8 seats with packages on each of them. When trying to sit down, she stated that "these seats are mine and they're saved"! The stewardess commented that there's "No reserved seating"! At this time, the lady started all kinds of indignant comments and the stewardess turned and walked away (thus avoiding the confrontation). Another stewardess, when asked for assistance, ignored the passengers pleas. Just curious if anyone else experienced this "cattle car" seating dysfunction by Southwest Airlines!

I fly Southwest frequently and have never seen this type of behavior. You just must realize there are idiots and morons all over the place. If it had been me, I'd have removed a package and taken the seat.

No problem.

I can't address the actions attributed to the flight attendants. I've never seen this type of behavior from them at any time and I wasn't there. I can say, without reserve, that they normally handle troublesome situations quickly, quietly and efficiently...and have been known to remove passengers who don't obey directions from the flight crew.

I can deal with unassigned seating but when I do have an assigned seat what I hate when it is taken by someone else who just knows I won't mind so they can sit with their SO. There is no win in this situation stating I do mind causes a delay as they shift seats and leaves me with an annoyed seat mate or taking the change means often I am in a window or middle seat when I book for aisle seating.

I can deal with unassigned seating but when I do have an assigned seat what I hate when it is taken by someone else who just knows I won't mind so they can sit with their SO. There is no win in this situation stating I do mind causes a delay as they shift seats and leaves me with an annoyed seat mate or taking the change means often I am in a window or middle seat when I book for aisle seating.

I have had this happen - guess it is pretty common. I handle it by saying calmly "I believe this is my seat."

Sometimes the person took the wrong row by mistake. Sometimes they know they are in the wrong seat and hope the occupant does not show. And sometimes, they have a boarding pass with the same seat number as I have.

In all cases, I just wait for them to move (which they quickly do, if they know they are wrong) or wait for an attendant to sort things out. They always do.

As long as I am not stuck in a middle seat, or next to a large person who takes up more space than they bought, I am fine with switching. It usually works out fine.

We have never had a problem with Southwest. In the last couple of years, my dh has been disabled so we get to board first.
My DW is also disabled so we also get to board first. By looking at her one would never know that she is disabled. One time someone actually had the gall to say something rather loudly and rude on why we got to board first. The person who was doing the questioning was told it was none of there business on why we got to, and if they said one more thing about it they would be bumped off this flight.

My DW is also disabled so we also get to board first. By looking at her one would never know that she is disabled. One time someone actually had the gall to say something rather loudly and rude on why we got to board first. The person who was doing the questioning was told it was none of there business on why we got to, and if they said one more thing about it they would be bumped off this flight.

Probably one of those idiot frequent flyers who racks up 100,000 miles a year and expects special treatment. They should have seated him in the very last row!

I absolutely luv Southwest airlines, but I have to admit that I wish they has assigned seating. I always make sure I print my boarding passes as soon as possible to get the earliest boarding times.

My husband was injured last year while skiing and Southwest couldn't have been more accommodating. We got priority boarding and they had a wheelchair waiting for him at every stop. Of course, I don't recommend getting injured to get on the plane first though, but I'm glad Southwest employees took such good care of us.

I asked a Southwest employee at the gate one time how people who got checked in 24 hours ahead of time were bumped to the bottom of the A group and he explained that if you had people on your flight who were connecting from a previous flight, their 24 hour window started earlier than yours (because their 1st flight began probably a few hours before your flight). So they would get the first A slots after the business select customers. I'm one of those people that sets an alarm to check in 24 hours in advance too and I've been in the A40s or A50s before. Doesn't bother me, there have only been one or two times I haven't gotten the seat I prefer (17F). Hope that helps to explain it.

I am a huge Southwest fan! I've flown enough with them since 2004 to earn 4 free tickets. They get me there on time or early, don't lose my luggage, don't nickel and dime me to death, the employees are usually pleasant and helpful, I think their seats are more comfortable than many other major carriers, and they have a very generous compensation policy if you volunteer to be bumped. I'm flying down to FLL with them for my cruise in 1 week. There has to be a very compelling reason for me to fly with anyone else!

We have flown Southwest many times, but less frequently in the last couple years because there are other low-fare options where we can select our seats. When we do fly Southwest (as we will twice next month), we check in exactly 24 hours in advance to be sure of "A" boarding passes (we still hate that experience...even with the numbered spaces).

One time on Southwest we were the first guests in the "A" section. When we arrived at our preferred exit row, a priority boarding guest was seated in it. It was one guest, three seats, so we proceeded to take the other two. Then she announced that she was saving the row. We simply called the flight attendant. We told her that we were the first people in the "A" group and that this priority guest was "saving" the exit row. The flight attendant was awesome and enlightened this extremely unhappy guest who actually continued TO CALL US "rude" over and over again during the flight.

I will gladly pay a few bucks extra to select a seat that works for me and avoid this whole ridiculous scenario.

Oh and while I haven't witnessed any of the bad behavior everyone has described, I believe it happens. Before they instituted the ABC system I used to see people cutting in line all the time. sometimes they just didn't understand how it worked but a lot of the time they figured people either wouldn't notice in the commotion or wouldn't say anything.

Really, do you have to have a group of 8 sit together? Isn't it enough to sit next to 1 person you know? How hard is it to be polite while we all have to share a little slice of the world for a while???

I asked a Southwest employee at the gate one time how people who got checked in 24 hours ahead of time were bumped to the bottom of the A group and he explained that if you had people on your flight who were connecting from a previous flight, their 24 hour window started earlier than yours (because their 1st flight began probably a few hours before your flight). So they would get the first A slots after the business select customers. I'm one of those people that sets an alarm to check in 24 hours in advance too and I've been in the A40s or A50s before. Doesn't bother me, there have only been one or two times I haven't gotten the seat I prefer (17F). Hope that helps to explain it.

I am a huge Southwest fan! I've flown enough with them since 2004 to earn 4 free tickets. They get me there on time or early, don't lose my luggage, don't nickel and dime me to death, the employees are usually pleasant and helpful, I think their seats are more comfortable than many other major carriers, and they have a very generous compensation policy if you volunteer to be bumped. I'm flying down to FLL with them for my cruise in 1 week. There has to be a very compelling reason for me to fly with anyone else!

I would never have thought of that explanation. It does make sense.

I only take SW on short flights. I don't like the lack of assigned seating, but nevertheless I've never witnessed seat saving. That completely goes against the logic of having the a, b, c boarding groups. I wouldn't put up with it, and I'm not usually one to make an issue of stuff like that.

I have to wonder why the US doesn't have a rule where assigned seating must be done for safety sake. How will they know who was sitting where f there happens to be a aplane crash and have to ID passengers by row/seat?

I have known many people who fly Canada's discount airline, Westjet, and they do assigned seating. No cattle call for them.....Price of a flight to LA ws very cheap around $400 (all taxes included).

As a Southwest FA, I may be able to shed some light on the "seat saving" issue you had. Please keep in mind that this is just my take and in no way reflects the opinion of SWA Mgmt. That said, first of all I am sorry that an obnoxious lady ruined your flight by saving seats for her whole group. I know this can be very frustrating especially, since you took the time to check-in early so you can board ahead of the group.

We as FA's have been frustrated by the "saving seats" the rare times it happens. It is rare in that in almost 10 years, I have seen it becoming an issue maybe 2-3 times total. Our management has taken a "neutral" stance on this issue within reason. By within reason, I mean sometimes a DH and DW are traveling to gether DH gets A and DW B. We find this perfectly ok to save a seat for the person traveling with them. What we do not like is one person trying to save 4 exit row seats or bulkheads or someone saving multiple seat or rows. One time this happened with the exit rows and a couple boarding wanted to sit there. When the man "saving " the seats tried to prevent the couple from sitting there, I explained that "we have an open seating policy and everyone has an equal chance at each seat. Additionally, we have a safety responsibility to ensure that each exit-row occupant is qualified and I can't be sure that the rest of your party, (coming later) is.

Anyway, definitely let the powers at be know, thats the only way we can make sure this thing does not happen and improve our customer experience.

We hadn't a problem with our flight south, it was the return that was a nightmare. Yes, there were a number of couples that did the "center vacant seat scenario" but they moved as soon as they realized the flight was full (thus leaving an open seat here and there, which adds up). It's kind of difficult to "check in" 24 hours in advance when your on-board a cruise ship. There was one couple that asked for assistance and were ignored by "just find a seat" and the stewardess then turned away. Lets just say the lady in question had a mouth on her that wasn't conducive to any sort of mannerism. Why Southwest opened themselves up to this behavior through "shot gunning passengers" is beyond me. They could easily print seat numbers as easily a they can print A, B or C on a boarding pass. It's not as though they haven't a clue how many passengers they'll board.

Thanks Cary737 for your input. As stated, the flight south was uneventfull. I used to work for TWA years back and we kept an eye on this sort of behaviour. I'm familiar with the exit requirements but SW needs to load passengers with some sort of observance and control. I've written SW of the concern. From experiance, there's got to be a better way than the "shot gun" effect.

Cattle call seating nightmare. Really, nightmare? So someone was saving a seat for their friends or families, big deal, just move along. And if you don't want to, then sit your butt down and be just as rude as they are.

I suppose you never went to the Movie theatre again because someone was saving the five middle row seats. Let's all ban and boycott United Artists Theatres because there are chair hogs.

There are rude people everywhere.

Just curious if anyone else experienced this "cattle car" seating dysfunction by Southwest Airlines!

Nope, I've flown with them many times and never experienced a problem. And the fact that they don't charge to check suitcases makes them even better!

I have flown SW many times and I always get somewhere in the A group. I have never encountered seat hogs.

On flights with assigned seats, I occasonally get asked if I can switch seats w someone. My answer is always "NO".

DON

I have to wonder why the US doesn't have a rule where assigned seating must be done for safety sake. How will they know who was sitting where f there happens to be a aplane crash and have to ID passengers by row/seat?

I have known many people who fly Canada's discount airline, Westjet, and they do assigned seating. No cattle call for them.....Price of a flight to LA ws very cheap around $400 (all taxes included).

In a serious plane crash, how many seats do you think remain in their assigned spots?

I already know that if I survive a plane crash, I'm not going to look for the standard emergency exits. I'm looking for the big hole in the plane.

If there's a crash, they will ID people based on other methods (ID they are carrying, dental records, DNA if necessary). I don't think they'd ever use seat assignment as a positive form of ID. Even with assigned seats, people do switch seats for a variety of reasons.

I'm not the biggest fan of the unassigned seating arrangement on Southwest. I have not flown with them very often though. I feel a little bit awkward about choosing whom to sit next to.

I vividly remember the first time I flew with Southwest a few years ago. I remember a large group of people hanging out at the gate. Several men approached me and started conversations. I thought it was a bit odd .. I mean, sure I sometimes have conversations with strangers at airports, particularly when there's delays, but this did seem a bit unusual. I sort of politely excused myself from all the conversations and my time to board came up pretty soon.

Some time later I happened to come across an article about dating onboard Southwest Airlines. Apparently a lot of people scope out their fellow passengers before boarding, start conversations and try to find someone they might want to sit next to, with the possibility of meeting someone special. Apparently there have been weddings and such. Suddenly it all made sense. That's what those pre-boarding conversations were all about.

Reading that only helped to make me feel more awkward about Southwest. I usually travel by myself, but I'm certainly not looking to meet anyone. When I do fly Southwest, I try to get a window seat on an empty row, so that I won't have to sit down next to someone who is already there. I have not had anyone really horrible sit next to me, though there was one guy who smuggled on some alcohol (this was back when you could still carry on drinks) and kept trying to share it with me.

Anyway, while I have sat next to some overly large people in assigned seating arrangements, I still much prefer that. I have often ended up with empty seats next to me, and there can be no question about my motives when I sit next to someone :p

I wouldn't classify that a 'nightmare'.

I wouldn't have minded. The lady apparently was not a businesses traveler I would guess she was traveling a family group who neglected to get boarding passes in the same group.

The true nightmare would have been if kids/teens and such in that group were split up...yelling across the cabin, placed in single seats next to me, and them trying to 'deal' with other passengers to swap seats when the entire group finally boarded.

I think the boarding process on SW is fair ... I like it ..

Over the past year I travelled quite a bit ... mostly SW ... American a few times..

I had not flown on American in a number of years ... I was appalled at how squished the seats were ... those were the most UNCOMFORTABLE flights I've ever flown. I don't have particulary long legs - but could not sit in my seat w/o my knees hitting the one in front of me ... add to that they guy in front who HAS to recline his seat all the way back ... and it's one cramped flight.

On SW I've always been in the A group - well the beginning of B once ... NO problem ever finding an aisle seat (which I prefer)... Even in B

I have to laugh at those who fuss about couples who "split" hoping for that middle ... the expect one of the couple to move to the middle. Hubby prefers windows, I prefer aisles ... we sit that way - and if someone wants to sit between us more power to them! We rarely chatter on flights anyway ...

Also a hint for avoiding conversation ... take a book and an mp3 player and slap those headphones on ...

It's kind of difficult to "check in" 24 hours in advance when your on-board a cruise ship.

We have always bought internet minutes onboard to use specifically to do the 24-hour ahead online check-in....so it really is not difficult if you really want to get a good spot in the check-in. :) :)

We love SW. We are a family of 5 and always sign in at the exact 24 hour mark (love that you can do it from your mobile phone now!) Anyway, our last trip we were all in B group for some reason and still got 2 rows together. We had to go to the back of the plane, but so what? We'll fly SW anyday over American. SW gave us free snacks and drinks and multiple times. American left us on the tarmac for over 5 hours, wouldn't bring us back to the gate and had little to no food for us. Even after most of the travelers had missed connections, they told us to look up the 800# in the seatback magazine and call American's reservations to rebook ourselves! Even those with tight connections after the delay weren't given priorty disembarkation. Oh, and this happened again on our flights home, only this time we "only" sat on the tarmac 2 hours and they were kind enough to play a non family appropriate movie for us! We'll take the cheap flights, free bags and yes, the "cattle herding" as some of you called it anyday!

Archived