Southwest Airlines seating nightmare

rzdj96

I have issues with Southwest, I used to fly them routinely from Midway to Philadelphia when I was in college. I had a free ticket and flew out to visit my friend in Denver last year (actually it was almost exactly a year ago.) On the flight back they were looking for people willing to be bumped as they oversold the flight. Since I was leaving first thing in the morning and could easily be rerouted across the country, I inquired. They were offering a certain amount of money plus what you paid for your ticket. So I assumed that I would get my 1 way voucher back (a reasonable assumption, no?) They were telling me that no, I would be getting just the taxes that I paid back, so basically $7. I thought it was BS, I challenged it...mind you I hadn't signed anything yet and they stood firm. Meanwhile, they began to board the flight. They didn't budge, so I boarded that flight, they took someone out of the line of people yet to board.

It left a bad taste in my mouth. You don't say we're going to give you what you paid + $X and then say, actually, just kidding. What I paid was a voucher that I earned by being a loyal customer. Not anymore.

Then on SW's boarding procedure...it's ridiculous. You always have to make sure that you check in exactly 24 hours before your flight. It's rather exhausting. Between that, the bad service I got from SW (yes, I did write a letter, and I didn't receive a response), and the fact that it's an hour's drive to Buffalo vs flying out of Rochester...I fly JetBlue now, my back up is AirTran. SW is awful.

The SW boarding policy has improved.

It used to be that they issued A, B, and C tickets but no distinction within the category. In other words, if you were at the beginning of the B line you had a pretty good choice of seats but if you were at the back of the B line you might get stuck with a lot of middle seats.

Then they started giving out the A1, A2, A3, etc. tickets and you have to stand in line according to that number.

I like it much better. I hated when the lines could start HOURs before the flight and you started to feel obliged to stand in them. Now you can wait and get into line in your designated spot.

(Although I did encounter a woman once with a high number B who stood near the front of the B line saying "didn't matter just so I'm in the B line!" There are some in every crowd!)

I havent flown in awhile so I have a question.....do they still let pax with children or special needs board first? One of my sons is autistic and is overwhelmed at long lines with lots of people, cattle calls if you will. He is 12 and appears normal. Would I be allowed to board with him prior to the crowds? Also he would have to have a front row seat because he is nervous in unfamiliar situations and places and I am sure he would fidget and kick the seat in front of him to the horror of the person sitting there. Just curious as we may be flying in the next year.:confused:

I am sure if you tell the agent prior to boarding they will go out of their way to honor your request if the seats are available. When my husband was injured on our last flights, we boarded first and we got the front seats. When I flew with my mom a few years back who used a wheelchair, we boarded with the group of special needs passengers. On those flights we did not get the very front seats, but my mother was able to get in and out of other seats so that wasn't important. I have always felt well taken care of on Southwest, love the fact that you can change flights with no penalty [unless the cost of flight goes up], and don't have to pay for luggage.

I love Southwest. I just check in 24 hours before and I always get A group. I will go without an assigned seat in order to be able to change my flights without paying those crazy fees. Southwest has saved my fiance and I over 1000 dollars in the last 2 years. The Military is always changing when he can leave to come home.

The last time I had an assigned seat was when I flew to Ireland last year. I sat next to a girl who apparently did not believe and showers and wrote I love toes on notebook paper for the whole 6 hour flight. I was wishing I could change my seat the whole time lol

Too funny!:eek:

If Southwest has flights to the destination I am looking for, then I fly Southwest and get online at the 24 hour mark to get my place in line. I have never had a problem with the flight crew and rarely have had a delay.

I fact I prefer finding my own seat. I look for a row that already has adults in the row behind, so I avoid the "seat back kickers."

I like southwest because i dont have to book my flight and I'm not sandwiched in between two 300 pound people without a choice for a long flight. If i get there early i get a better seat.

Also they flew me from oklahoma to new york round trip for brain surgery i needed for free. I am more likely to give someone business who helps those who are in need.

I only fly SWA and that is because it flies VERY cheap to Tampa FL where my mother lives. When you get get TWO round trip tickets for under 200 dollars, you can herd me like cattle. It's not going to bother me.

What does however bother me are the families that don't get online and print their boarding passes, and then expect to all get to sit together. We actually had our stewardess (sp?) begging people to move their seats so these people could sit together. This happened to me twice on one trip!

I'm sorry, but if you don't take the time to research and plan ahead, I'm not getting out of my seat for you. You should have gotten their early and taken advantage of the fact that they now offer earlier boarding for families with younger children, OR taken five seconds out of your day to print the boarding pass as early as possible like the rest of us.

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but I'm a firm believer in planning ahead.

Personally, I have always thought that airlines have it backwards when they let the people needing extra time board first. They just slow up boarding. Able body passengers can board, put belonings in the bins and sit down a lost faster and be out of the way. People needing more time should come after that for effieciency.

Ever notice that some of those who need priority boarding must have encountered a miracle in the sky? I've been on flights where those who needed assistance to board first were told to remain in their seats and let eveyone else off the plane first. Well, some of those who "hobbled on", walked off first, without any problems. That high altitude air must have some special healing powers!

Ever notice that some of those who need priority boarding must have encountered a miracle in the sky? I've been on flights where those who needed assistance to board first were told to remain in their seats and let eveyone else off the plane first. Well, some of those who "hobbled on", walked off first, without any problems. That high altitude air must have some special healing powers!

Sort of like the people who you see walking all around the ship and in ports and then need a wheel chair to get on and off the ship because it moves them to the front of the line.

Knowing me, I would have plopped my butt down after the flight attendant said there was no seat saving

Durn tootin' !! Pete & I would have sat there & announced that our two seats were in fact saved. If she had made too much of a stink we would have called for the police.

I am sure if you tell the agent prior to boarding they will go out of their way to honor your request if the seats are available. When my husband was injured on our last flights, we boarded first and we got the front seats. When I flew with my mom a few years back who used a wheelchair, we boarded with the group of special needs passengers. On those flights we did not get the very front seats, but my mother was able to get in and out of other seats so that wasn't important. I have always felt well taken care of on Southwest, love the fact that you can change flights with no penalty [unless the cost of flight goes up], and don't have to pay for luggage.

Last year we tried to take an earlier flight from FLL to Hooouston but they wanted more than 50% more than the flight we were booked on.:eek:

I started flying SWA when it was the fastest bus in Texas. It's still a bus, but the "premium" main lines have become so bad you can't even count on getting peanuts.

Probably one of those idiot frequent flyers who racks up 100,000 miles a year and expects special treatment. They should have seated him in the very last row!

Now that's not very fair; why would you think a frequent flyer was an idiot? IME, the most troublesome passengers on average are those who don't do much flying. A FF is well aware of airline rules and regulations, and usually are not the ones complaining or holding up the line, as they know the procedures.

My DH has flown over 100,000 miles this year, and I'm getting close. After you park yourself in an airline seat for that much flying, IMO, you have earned your status. But, I guarantee most people with that kind of BIS miles, didn't get it flying WN. And why would they? You can only fly domestically with any rewards, and you don't get anything else but the "privilege" of boarding in the A group. Totally not worth it.

WN is great for the domestic flyer if the fares are good for you. Not usually worth it for us.

DW loves Southwest and I hate them. I hate the cattle line, if they changed the boarding system I would fly them more often and get one of there credit cards.

SouthWORST usually raises my stress level for about a hour before the flight. I would rather walk up 5 to 10 min before the door is shut and sit in my seat that I picked out when I booked the flight.

The only time I enjoyed my flight on SW was when the plane was half booked.

I am very thankful that back when my company use to fly us out for trips, we never used SW.

As for being a low cost airline, I find there prices are usually the same as everyone else. Sometimes cheaper, sometimes more expensive, just depends on where and when you are flying.

Now that's not very fair; why would you think a frequent flyer was an idiot? IME, the most troublesome passengers on average are those who don't do much flying. A FF is well aware of airline rules and regulations, and usually are not the ones complaining or holding up the line, as they know the procedures.

My DH has flown over 100,000 miles this year, and I'm getting close. After you park yourself in an airline seat for that much flying, IMO, you have earned your status. But, I guarantee most people with that kind of BIS miles, didn't get it flying WN. And why would they? You can only fly domestically with any rewards, and you don't get anything else but the "privilege" of boarding in the A group. Totally not worth it.

WN is great for the domestic flyer if the fares are good for you. Not usually worth it for us.

As another of those 100,000+mile "idiots", ditto on 6rugrats comments.

We travel enough that we KNOW how the system works. We give plenty of business to an airline and want something back. And get it. Just like all of those here on CC who tout the loyalty programs of their favorite cruiseline.

WN has successfully convinced the mass of the traveling public that it has the cheapest fares (when that has been demonstrated to be a fallacy). In their desire to replace value with price, much of the public flocks to WN. However, WN imposes conditions on their tickets....no assigned seating, no baggage interline, no alliances and more. When you buy a WN ticket, you get the whole "seating issue" as part of the package.

If you don't like open seating, the answer is simple. Don't fly WN. If your desire to fly WN is strong, you'll have to overcome those issues.

Finally, no one puts a gun to your head and forces you to fly WN. It's most assuredly a free will choice.

I don't know what it is about Southwet that brings out these repeated threads.

Yes, they do boarding differently than most airlines.

Some folks like myself think its' fine. Others don't.

For those who don't they will likely do better on another airline.

There are some markets that without Southwest there would be very limited options for travelers.

Sometimes Southwest has the lowest price. Sometimes they are about the same. Sometimes they are higher. I can say that about many airlines.

For some places we fly Southwest is perfect for us, particularly those short haul flights within the state of Texas. At the same time for some places like long haul flights we use another airline, particularly American Airlines.

In the end, each person needs to make a decision about who they fly.

There are very few airlines, particularly USA airlines, that get 90%+ consensus from folks as to prefering that airline over another. In the case of USA airlines consensus would likely be much lower.

So, for those who like Southwest for whatever reason continue to fly them.

And for those who don't care for Southwest find another airline.

This is no different than most products. If we all had the same opinion, need and taste we would all drive the same car, wear the same clothes, eat the same food, take the same cruise line, etc. etc etc. and this would be a rather boring world.

Keith

i don't know what it is about southwet that brings out these repeated threads.

There are some markets that without southwest there would be very limited options for travelers.

Sometimes southwest has the lowest price. Sometimes they are about the same. Sometimes they are higher. I can say that about many airlines.

For some places we fly southwest is perfect for us, particularly those short haul flights within the state of texas. At the same time for some places like long haul flights we use another airline, particularly american airlines.

There are very few airlines, particularly usa airlines, that get 90%+ consensus from folks as to prefering that airline over another. In the case of usa airlines consensus would likely be much lower.

So, for those who like southwest for whatever reason continue to fly them.

And for those who don't care for southwest find another airline.

This is no different than most products. If we all had the same opinion, need and taste we would all drive the same car, wear the same clothes, eat the same food, take the same cruise line, etc. Etc etc. And this would be a rather boring world.

Keith

Well said!

I don't know what it is about Southwet that brings out these repeated threads.

There are some markets that without Southwest there would be very limited options for travelers.

Sometimes Southwest has the lowest price. Sometimes they are about the same. Sometimes they are higher. I can say that about many airlines.

For some places we fly Southwest is perfect for us, particularly those short haul flights within the state of Texas. At the same time for some places like long haul flights we use another airline, particularly American Airlines.

There are very few airlines, particularly USA airlines, that get 90%+ consensus from folks as to prefering that airline over another. In the case of USA airlines consensus would likely be much lower.

So, for those who like Southwest for whatever reason continue to fly them.

And for those who don't care for Southwest find another airline.

This is no different than most products. If we all had the same opinion, need and taste we would all drive the same car, wear the same clothes, eat the same food, take the same cruise line, etc. etc etc. and this would be a rather boring world.

Keith

Good post.

And to answer your question its because people either hate or love SW, I happen to love it.

a little off topic 'airline' but just wanted to share what I found to be a great method of seating on my recent flight on United.

They issue their boarding passes by window-first, middle-second and aisle- third. Made sense to get the window seats filled first to avoid the crawl over... Possibly other airlines have this method also, but this is the first time I had encountered this. It seemed to work pretty well for the most part - as always, there were those that didn't think the rules applied and of course the gate agent didn't enforce it.

back on topic - I have flown Southwest and thoroughly enjoyed the flight - was one that printed out an A boarding though and had no troubles.

a little off topic 'airline' but just wanted to share what I found to be a great method of seating on my recent flight on United.

They issue their boarding passes by window-first, middle-second and aisle- third. Made sense to get the window seats filled first to avoid the crawl over... Possibly other airlines have this method also, but this is the first time I had encountered this. It seemed to work pretty well for the most part - as always, there were those that didn't think the rules applied and of course the gate agent didn't enforce it.

I also like the way UA boards passengers as it makes a lot of sense.

Window seats are in group two, middles group three and aisle seats group four. Before all numbered groups board, boarding starts with first class, Global Services and 1Ks. Then Business, if there's a business class. Then Premier Executive and *A gold.

Then group one which are Premier, Premier Associates and *A silver.

Then onto the window, middle and aisles. Certainly a good thing to remember with these days of increased carryons and limited overhead bin space.

I do not like, nor have I ever liked having to stand like cattle in a feed lot in order to get on the plane

The "cattle in a feed lot at the gate" syndrome isn't something restricted to airlines that don't have assigned seating. Every time I fly Delta, United, AA, etc, I find that most everyone forms a crowd around the gate area regardless of their boarding status. I can't count the number of times I've had a boarding status that allows me to board coach ahead of the majority of other passengers. But you still have to fight and weave your way through the crowd of people who are ticketed to board after you. So to me just about all airlines are cattle calls at the gate when ticketed in coach.

Hadn't booked Southwest in over 10 years, but have a flight out the end of the month. Hadn't given the 'no assigned seating' a second thought until I read this thread. Now, after reading some of these horor stories, I wish I would have booked a different airline. Our flights were NOT the least expensive of what was offered, but the schedule was what we wanted.

Guess we will see for ourselves soon if Southwest fits us or not.

Hadn't booked Southwest in over 10 years, but have a flight out the end of the month. Hadn't given the 'no assigned seating' a second thought until I read this thread. Now, after reading some of these horor stories, I wish I would have booked a different airline. Our flights were NOT the least expensive of what was offered, but the schedule was what we wanted.

Don't worry! It's not as bad as some would make you think.

You'll love it when you don't have to pay for your checked bags!

By the way, it isn't nearly as bad as this thread makes it out to be. If you have an A or a B pass ( and about any number) you shouldn't have a problem avoiding the middle seat!

I love this thread..

The next to last time I flew on SW the flight attendant was so funny, as we are wondering down the aisle he pops on and says

"Yes ladies and gentlemen, look left look right, see those seats in the middle!! those are you seats!! Very funny. I took a seat and the couple immediate sat together and I got the window!!

the last time I flew SW I got a front row seat, so exciting. They asked for a volunteer to switch so that someone from the rear could move with a child for more leg room. No one budged, so I said I would so long as I could have the aisle. No problem, The guy I switched with ended up being 6'5 and was really grateful to get the extra leg room. Then before I sat down I took a look at the poor guy in the middle seat, and asked him how tall he was, 6'2. I said, get up I am 5'4 and have very short legs so I took the middle.

The airline attendants where so happy that I moved for them I got two free beers on the flight!! woot woot..

worked for me.

The way they are doing it now, lining up by boarding number makes the line much more bearable.

See ya..

K

Archived