Swiss Air to Europe

MFG Cruise Lady

We will be traveling from LAX to FCO and then return from Venice to LAX. In regard to the luggage weight issue, 2 bags 23 KG from what I have read. How was the food and service, any comments would be appreciated.:)

One of the best airlines we have flown. We had a personal entertainment center, wines with dinner in coach, and of course chocolate.

After a bit of a rough patch Swiss Air have turned the corner and have a very good hard and soft product in all classes, I would not hesitate to recomennd them.

After a rough patch SwissAir declared bankruptcy and went completely out of business is 2002.

An airline, with the similar sounding name of Swiss International Airlines took over a number of routes and aircraft, and that company is now owned by Lufthansa.

They have recently refitted the First Class. They probably have now, the most stylish product in the whole Europe. Swiss is now a shadow of what it was. However, it´s one of the best option for flying, with a good product indeed.

After a rough patch SwissAir declared bankruptcy and went completely out of business is 2002.

An airline, with the similar sounding name of Swiss International Airlines took over a number of routes and aircraft, and that company is now owned by Lufthansa.

Actually I was referring to a time period after that, from the MD11's to the 343's it was blah, it's only really since the 330's came along that Swiss has gotten their act toegether.

They have recently refitted the First Class. They probably have now, the most stylish product in the whole Europe. Swiss is now a shadow of what it was. However, it´s one of the best option for flying, with a good product indeed.

I have to agree, though from what friends have said it does seem the seat is a little hard.

As can be seen here and here they really have a nice product in place.

BTW the person that took the flights is someone I trust, he takes first class flights all over the world and really is not overwhelmed easily, I think a couple of the regular posters in this forum know him as well.

Actually I was referring to a time period after that, from the MD11's to the 343's it was blah, it's only really since the 330's came along that Swiss has gotten their act toegether.
I think you've missed the point. You didn't actually mean "Swiss Air" at all.

Not really, i'm a stubborn old person who still refers to RCL as RCCL.

When it comes down to it, there are very few of us on here who can tell difference between say an MD 10 and an MD 11, let alone the history of Swiss, it is best left to A'Net IMHO, but we can get into the history if you like, LX used to be one of my favorite long haul airlines.

When it comes down to it, there are very few of us on here who can tell difference between say an MD 10 and an MD 11, let alone the history of Swiss ...
Entirely so, but I think that it would help those who don't know the history to be able to distinguish between reports (especially those thrown up by Internet searching) about the current airline known as "SWISS", which has had an up-and-down record, and about the late great "Swissair", may it rest in peace.

Not really, i'm a stubborn old person who still refers to RCL as RCCL.

When it comes down to it, there are very few of us on here who can tell difference between say an MD 10 and an MD 11, let alone the history of Swiss, it is best left to A'Net IMHO, but we can get into the history if you like, LX used to be one of my favorite long haul airlines.

Quite easy; MD10s were never in passenger service. They are a DC10 with the cockpit reengineered for 2 pilot operation (ala the MD11), I think it was FedEx that initiated it.

Entirely so, but I think that it would help those who don't know the history to be able to distinguish between reports (especially those thrown up by Internet searching) about the current airline known as "SWISS", which has had an up-and-down record, and about the late great "Swissair", may it rest in peace.

Yes you do have a point there.

Quite easy; MD10s were never in passenger service. They are a DC10 with the cockpit reengineered for 2 pilot operation (ala the MD11), I think it was FedEx that initiated it.

:D

Ok or the fact that the 747 series has only been 3 lengths, but my point is, the majority of people on here do not wear the anorak with pride, they are looking for quick simple advice.

We will be traveling from LAX to FCO and then return from Venice to LAX. In regard to the luggage weight issue, 2 bags 23 KG from what I have read. How was the food and service, any comments would be appreciated.:)

I am just making reservations on it today. It is a great airline - runs like a Swiss watch.

We like it better than Lufthansa. Keep an eye out for their special business class fares...

Of course, you do know that LH owns Swiss....

Yes, but they're much nicer on Swiss! Oops, guess my Swiss heritage kicked in for a moment!

Seriously, my main reason for choosing Swiss over LH is connecting through ZRH instead of FRA. The only airport I dread more than FRA is the Tom Bradley Terminal at LAX.

Bob

For those that have travel on Swiss Air, tell me how much the weight limit for liggage is. We called the airlines and they told us one thing, but I would appreciate the info from someone that has traveled recently. We will be flying fom LAX to FCO .

Thank you.

I agree with Globaliser's post. Go with what the airline says. Many times people post questions which IMHO are better addressed either by calling the airline or by going to the airline web site. Here is the link to the Swiss Air site that should answer your question about the luggage.

http://www.swiss.com/web/EN/services/baggage/Pages/free_checked_baggage.aspx

And here is another link on their site that provides additional information with respect to luggage.

http://www.swiss.com/web/EN/services/baggage/Pages/baggage_overview.aspx

Keith

Another in the continuing string of posts asking if they can get away with breaking a rule about something or another. ABC Corporation says that the rule is "XYZ". Why believe that -- let's ask for anonymous, apocryphal anecdotal evidence to disprove what they say and thus confirm my own wishes.

Let's see....checked baggage weights, number of carry-ons, very early morning departures, free flight changes, smuggling booze.....

Oops, that last one's from another forum (or two). :D

We read what the regulations and then my husband called Swiss Air and they informed him that we could take 50 LBS. Well according to their web site it is 44 LBS. I do not want to change things , I just want no surprises. We always follow the rules. I thank you for your opinions.

Swiss International Airlines are very unlikely to have an imperial measurement (50 lbs) for luggage given that the entire world excepting a few nations is metric, Switzerland is definitely metric. It's most likely 20kg. (which is approx 44 lbs)

MFG Cruise Lady,

In April 2008, I flew Swiss International from LIS to LAX. The connecting flight to Zurich was a code shared TAP flight. TAP had strict regulations regarding the weight of carry on luggage. My laptop bag and all my "electronic gear" was too heavy but they also allowed a small tote; I was paranoid about the weight and my laptop and tote carry-on luggage met TAP's reqiurements. When I checked in (I flew business class all the way), the agent did not pay any attention to my carry-ons or even weight them. Swiss International did not have as strict weight regulations on carry on luggage.

Upon arrival in Zurich, we deplaned and got into a bus to the main terminal and went through passport control. Then you have to take an underground train from the main terminal to the "satellite terminal." If you have a long layover in ZRH, the only VIP lounge is in the main terminal and not the satellite terminal. This is because, I was told when I asked, of US Department of Homeland Security regulations. :confused: Since my layover was not too long, I went straight to the departure terminal.

The train ride from the main to the satellite terminal was very interesting! After we got underway, there were strange sounds coming out of the speakers — cows mooing, children laughing and playing. Then I looked out the port side of the train and on the concrete wall was a continuous mural and when the train sped by, it was like a motion picture! As the train approached the terminal, I realized the "soundtrack" went with the "mural movie!"

The departure terminal is very spacious with lots of seats and they were comfortable. The only annoying thing was we all had to queue up to several kiosks to write down our flight numbers, passport numbers and address in the USA, sign and hand to the attendant. Presenting a print out of the same information I had posted to the airlines' website before leaving home was not acceptable.

Once onboard the flight, the food and service in business class was wonderful. The seat was also comfortable and I was able to actually able to get some sleep and arrived in LAX refreshed after the 12 hour 30 minute flight.

As others have posted, I booked this flight about 330 days before departure when the airlines load their fares and schedules into the airline reservation system and got a good one-way fare. This was my flight home after a spring Trans-Atlantic crossing.

Archived