Swiss Air to Europe

MFG Cruise Lady

Well according to their web site it is 44 LBS.
I think you're probably looking in the wrong place on the website. See this page:-

Rules for flights between the U.S., Canada, the Caribbean, South America and from/to Cameroon, Star Alliance Round the World Fare

SWISS Economy

Number of pieces: 2

Dimensions per item (L+W+H): 158 cm

Maximum weight per piece: 23 kg*

*Baggage items with a weight between 23 and 32 kg are subject to an excess baggage fee. Prices can be found at: Piece concept.

So it sounds like what your husband was told on the phone was correct, although that is the weight per bag and you should be allowed two (on the assumption that you are connecting straight to FCO and not breaking your journey at ZRH).

In April 2008, I flew Swiss International from LIS to LAX. The connecting flight to Zurich was a code shared TAP flight. TAP had strict regulations regarding the weight of carry on luggage. My laptop bag and all my "electronic gear" was too heavy but they also allowed a small tote; I was paranoid about the weight and my laptop and tote carry-on luggage met TAP's reqiurements. When I checked in (I flew business class all the way), the agent did not pay any attention to my carry-ons or even weight them. Swiss International did not have as strict weight regulations on carry on luggage.

Glad you had a good experience with Swiss, Paul. Although I normally fly Economy with them using United frequent flier miles (business never seems to be available for award tickets), I find their service excellent and ZRH is certainly a more pleasant connection point than most other European airports.

One small correction: Swiss now has an 8kg (about 18lb) per piece hand baggage weight limit in all three classes. However, unlike Virgin and LH, I've never seen them weigh hand baggage.

Bob

One small correction: Swiss now has an 8kg (about 18lb) per piece hand baggage weight limit in all three classes. However, unlike Virgin and LH, I've never seen them weigh hand baggage.

Thanks for the update Bob. Ironically the year before last, I flew home from LIS on BA as they had the best business class fare. Going slightly OT here, at that time, BA had a maximum carryon size (the standard 22 inch "rollaboard") but no weight limit. Hence BAs website said words to the effect of "If you can hoist your carry on into the upper luggage bin, you are good to go." :eek:

Going slightly OT here, at that time, BA had a maximum carryon size (the standard 22 inch "rollaboard") but no weight limit. Hence BAs website said words to the effect of "If you can hoist your carry on into the upper luggage bin, you are good to go."
That is still the position on BA, and applies to all cabins. But they are serious about being able to lift it yourself. Cabin crew have strict instructions that (other than in very limited circumstances) they are not to lift cabin bags for passengers who can't lift them themselves.

And that is a good thing, some people (myself being one of them) do pack a little on the heavy side for the carry on, due mostly to the fact that there is no way I am trust a ramp worker with my camera gear.

With VS, I have had something of a mixed time, I have only been asked to weigh my carry on once and that happened to be a time when I was traveling light, the rest of the time they didn't even look at it.

• 2 months later...

Archived