Scooter Rental Comparisons

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Disabled Cruise Travel
Cruisers with physical limitations share their advice & experiences.
Cruise Critic Disabled Cruise Resources
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:35 AM.
6,438 Posts
Joined May 2009
Originally posted by mamasylvia
As ladylyn suggested, check with whoever you are renting from. But all the scooters I have seen are similar enough that I doubt you will have a problem if you are used to scooters at all. I was used to the grocery store electric "shopping carts" when I rented a scooter for the first time and didn't have any difficulty using it. The only thing that might take some adjusting is how you set the rental scooter's speed, some models use a dial or have a high/low button like my Triaxe.
The Pride Mobility brand of scooters that both Scootaround (formerly CareVacations ) and SpeciaNeedsatSea rent all have a "Speed Adjustment Dial" and not a high/low button. The speed adjustment dial on the rental scooter has a Turtle Icon denoting the slowest speed and a Rabbit Icon denoting the highest speed.
Waterford, WI
499 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Also worth considering - I usually rent a scooter from a store near my home for less than half of what they charge to deliver to cruise ships. Then, I also have the benefit of using the scooter to get through the airport instead of having someone push me in a wheelchair. I ride it right down to the door of the plane, they take it from there and it's waiting for me when I get off. NOTE: to do this, you must know what kind of battery is in your scooter and it's approximate weight. They have mostly stopped using the kind of batteries that must be sealed and checked in, but you'll still need to know what you have. Is also nice to have for embarkation and disembarkation. Especially the latter! My back can't handle standing in those long lines. (Pulling my carry-on bag while driving a scooter is a finely tuned art.) The drawback is that it's a pain to disassemble and reassemble for taxi rides, etc. But, to me it's worth the savings.

As for fitting in non-accessible cabins, I have done it on Royal Caribbean in both sizes of balcony cabins. However, that's when I'm traveling alone and there's nobody else who has to try and get around my scooter. It would be a very tight and uncomfortable fit for two people.

Good luck in your travels. I have found the freedom a scooter provides to be WONDERFUL. The last cruise I tried to do without a scooter, I found wasn't going all of the places, or doing all of the things I wanted to because the walk was just too much. A woman in my group had a scooter she wasn't using, and gave it to me to use on about day 3. It completely transformed the cruise for me. Now I won't cruise without them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Rotterdam of the Seas, 2003
Adventure of the Seas, 2004
Voyager of the Seas, 2005
Jewel of the Seas, 2006,
Freedom of the Seas, 2007
Adventure of the Seas 2008
Adventure of the Seas 2010
Jewel of the Seas 2012
Liberty of the Seas - Fibro Cruise 3/9/2015
Allure of the Seas 11/27/16
Liberty of the Seas - Fibro Cruise 4/2/17
Upcoming Fibro Cruise, Freedom of the Seas 4/14/18
Upcoming Fibro Cruise, Oasis if the Seas 2/24/19

Delaware, USA
162 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
Thanks.
I thought of renting or buying, but new to using scooter in cruise and trip. We are flying internationally and was worried if it broke down, what would I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Waterford, WI
499 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by Seashoregal
Also if buying, was confused which to buy, hopefully I'll get to see other scooters in ship.

I was just reading another thread that had a ton of great information on shopping around for scooters.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jewel of the Seas, 2006,
Jewel of the Seas 2012

Waterford, WI
499 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2498801
While this wasn't the topic of the thread, people shared a lot of great information in it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jewel of the Seas, 2006,
Jewel of the Seas 2012

6,438 Posts
Joined May 2009
Originally posted by payitforward
Also worth considering - I usually rent a scooter from a store near my home for less than half of what they charge to deliver to cruise ships. Then, I also have the benefit of using the scooter to get through the airport instead of having someone push me in a wheelchair. I ride it right down to the door of the plane, they take it from there and it's waiting for me when I get off. NOTE: to do this, you must know what kind of battery is in your scooter and it's approximate weight. They have mostly stopped using the kind of batteries that must be sealed and checked in, but you'll still need to know what you have. Is also nice to have for embarkation and disembarkation. Especially the latter! My back can't handle standing in those long lines. (Pulling my carry-on bag while driving a scooter is a finely tuned art.) The drawback is that it's a pain to disassemble and reassemble for taxi rides, etc. But, to me it's worth the savings.

Your statement "They have mostly stopped using the kind of batteries that must be sealed and checked in" is incorrect as well as misleading. Mobility Scooters being manufactured today fcontain non-spillable sealed batteries. Whether it's an AGM ( gel cell) Dry cell or lithium battery it must be a non-spillable sealed battery. FAA regulations as well s the Air Carrier Access Act require that mobility scooter contain non-spillable sealed batteries. Additionally the reason why your statement is also misleading it appears that you may not understand that even if the scooter is being driven directly to the plane and loaded onto the point it's still has to be check-in, and a luggage tag reattached by the gate agent before the ground crew can load it on to the plane.

Originally posted by payitforward
As for fitting in non-accessible cabins, I have done it on Royal Caribbean in both sizes of balcony cabins. However, that's when I'm traveling alone and there's nobody else who has to try and get around my scooter. It would be a very tight and uncomfortable fit for two people.
For further clarification though there are models of scooters that will fit through a standard cabin doorway it needs note that most standard cabins that are not full suites regardless of the cruise line/ship have 23" wide doorway. The 23" measurement is from door frame to door frame and therefore 2" must be deducted for the depth the door as it does not close flush to wall. The end result is there is only actually a total clearance of 21". Which means that the scooter must not be more than 21" at it's widest point in order to fit through most standard cabin doorways.
Wyoming
1,058 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
> I have found the freedom a scooter provides to be WONDERFUL

I have to share what happened yesterday. I bought a 53-lb folding scooter last November with the goal of being able to load and unload it without help. Unfortunately, even that was too heavy for me and DH has had to do loading duty, although I'm independent once it is on the ground.

I have been working out at the Y to build up my strength and yesterday, for the first time EVER, I was able to unload and then load my scooter myself! I can now go wherever I want (that a scooter can go) even if DH can't come along! I AM SO THRILLED! And I bet those of you with mobility limitations know exactly how thrilled I am!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Most of the members here are great! But when you get tired of incorrect information from unhelpful posters, the Ignore List is your friend!
Norwegian Pearl May 21, 2017 - Alaska
First cruise EVER on RCL Oasis of the Seas July 27, 2013 - Eastern Caribbean
somerset, nj 08873
324 Posts
Joined Oct 2000
> I have found the freedom a scooter provides to be WONDERFUL

I have to share what happened yesterday. I bought a 53-lb folding scooter last November with the goal of being able to load and unload it without help. Unfortunately, even that was too heavy for me and DH has had to do loading duty, although I'm independent once it is on the ground.

I have been working out at the Y to build up my strength and yesterday, for the first time EVER, I was able to unload and then load my scooter myself! I can now go wherever I want (that a scooter can go) even if DH can't come along! I AM SO THRILLED! And I bet those of you with mobility limitations know exactly how thrilled I am!

Mamasylvia that is wonderful!!! I am so happy for you!

somerset, nj 08873
324 Posts
Joined Oct 2000
As ladylyn suggested, check with whoever you are renting from. But all the scooters I have seen are similar enough that I doubt you will have a problem if you are used to scooters at all. I was used to the grocery store electric "shopping carts" when I rented a scooter for the first time and didn't have any difficulty using it. The only thing that might take some adjusting is how you set the rental scooter's speed, some models use a dial or have a high/low button like my Triaxe.

Ladylyn - absolutely our abilities and desires differ. Wouldn't it be a boring world if we all wanted the same things? But I am glad you responded with your outlook, so the OP can apply whichever parts of our differing responses apply to her situation and make the best decision for her. (And I will be curious to see if you still think any regular mini-suite would have plenty of room for a scooter after you have cruised!)

Ha Ha. We only have a balcony - good thing I love my grandchildren to the moon and back! I will definitely come back and let you know how it went.

381 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by Seashoregal
Also if buying, was confused which to buy, hopefully I'll get to see other scooters in ship.

See Post #26!!!