What Alaskan cruise is your favorite?

sun&sea

We have limited experience, two cruises, both round trip from Seattle. But my first thought is Vancouver is better than Seattle for a RT base, because it keeps you closer to the passage.

My second thought is a one-way, preferably with a land tour before or after, would be best if you can work it into the budget. I just think it would be more relaxing, more time to linger and explore.

We've been to Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay on our two Seattle round-trippers, and I just didn't see the hand-down preference for Glacier Bay that everyone else seems to observe. That might have been a weather thing. If you get to Glacier Bay with high hopes, crummy weather can shoot them down.

I do think it's easy to have a good time and hard to have a bad time on an Alaska cruise, so the odds are with you no matter what.

Jim

Holland America has a 14 day round trip out of Seattle. It goes to Sitka, Homer, Icy Strait Point, and the other typical ports. It's always on a smaller old ship which is a positive or negative depending on what you like. The only real negative is that it doesn't go to Glacier Bay (unless they get special permission which doesn't always happen). It was my favorite Alaska cruise. I prefer Princess in general, but they don't offer a similar cruise.

I too vote for the Southbound land and cruise tour, from Fairbanks to Whittier and then on the ship (preferable to include Glacier Bay) and onto Vancouver. We've done this twice and may want to substitute Sitka for Ketchikan, but that may be the only change needed.

Our favorite is the northbound itinerary Vancouver-Whittier. Very relaxing, and an easy itinerary, with the only challenge being the "collision" of packing, eating, and seeing College Fjord on the final evening. Southbound just doesn't appear to be as convenient. However, as we've moved to the Seattle area, the RT Seattle cruises are just too convenient.

But to be honest, the "cruise" I want to do most is actually two: someone here posted a nearly-live account of their B2B Grand Princess to Alaska from San Francisco that included Glacier Bay AND Tracy Arm, Skagway AND Sitka, and if I remember correctly Juneau AND Icy Strait Point. WOW. All of that at-sea time would be wonderfully relaxing, and then all of those options. WOW. I just can't afford that kind of vacation time, nor could I afford the camera lens rental AND shipping to California to do it. :)

We have yet to take an Alaskan cruise. 2018 is our 30th anniversary, and we may look into doing just that! However, I would love to hear which Alaskan cruise is the best (your favorite), especially for someone who will probably only take just one such cruise. What are the "must sees" and "must dos?"

Thanks,

Janet

We have been sailing Alaska almost every year since 2008. We have taken two of the cruise-tours (land/see) and have enjoyed them. We have one more to take someday. If you decide to do this take the land first and finish with the sea portion last. (The land can be very busy) Also if it is your first take an itinerary that gets you to Glacier Bay. The other nice place is Tracy Arm which we really like. We take an excursion which picks you up off of the ship at the terminus of the fjord and takes you up close to the South and North Sawyer Glacier then takes you back to you ship in Juneau. Great excursion and we take it every time we are in Tracy Arm.