Cruising without your spouse

btrbill

I call it the best of both worlds. I enjoy sharing my life with a spouse. But being on my own for cruise vacations, without catering to please anyone else, is a good thing for me.

I can't agree more. My wife finally does enjoy cruising with me and we have enjoyed a few cruises together. But for the first 5 years since my first cruise (it was love at first cruise) I cruised solo. Now we do a cruise together each year and I get to do one solo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done a few solo cruises and have often met other solo cruisers who are married and cruising without their spouses. If my ex and I hadn't divorced, I would be a solo cruiser most of the time as he felt cruising was just "okay" and wasn't in love with it like I am. I don't think it's all that unusual among solo cruisers.

I've done a few solo cruises and have often met other solo cruisers who are married and cruising without their spouses. If my ex and I hadn't divorced, I would be a solo cruiser most of the time as he felt cruising was just "okay" and wasn't in love with it like I am. I don't think it's all that unusual among solo cruisers.

I discovered cruising after I split up with my ex. She would never have allowed me to cruise or take any vacation without her. (Maybe that's part of the reason she's my "ex"). I am now very happily married to a woman who is OK with me cruising solo (and sometimes we cruise together) because I love cruising more than she does and have more time off work than her.

I'm going in Sept for 3 weeks transatlantic w my mom. My spouse is staying home w our teens. He's 11 years my junior, works, and I'm a home maker.

I respect him so much that he doesn't hold me back. He knows if he asked me to not go, I wouldn't. He loves soccer and if all the ports were soccer based, he'd see the point...😂

Honestly, if you can't trust your mate for the length of a cruise or on a cruise, why married?

Mrs. Afeez Usman (Jennifer)

After my husband passed I solo traveled. I'm newly married and we will go on our 1st cruise together in September. I guess I should mention I went solo in October for 26 days.:D He was fine with it. I'm sure most of my cruising will continue to be solo but we're both fine with it.

I'm retired, DH is not. He is also not that thrilled with cruising. He goes with me every now and then. I use to cruise with my daughter, but now she's all grown up and married. I have cruised solo 5 times and I am watching for a good deal for a 6th solo. I hadn't even considered cruising solo until meeting a woman that cruises solo all the time. I quizzed her. She dared me. I am so glad she pushed me to try it. There is a difference between cruising 'solo' and cruising as a 'single'. I've cruised solo on Royal, Celebrity, MSC, and Oceania. My favorites are Celebrity and Oceania. I am looking forward to #6.

I discovered cruising after I split up with my ex. She would never have allowed me to cruise or take any vacation without her. (Maybe that's part of the reason she's my "ex"). I am now very happily married to a woman who is OK with me cruising solo (and sometimes we cruise together) because I love cruising more than she does and have more time off work than her.

I'm glad you're with someone who honors that you're not just her spouse but also an individual. I don't see any reason you shouldn't go on a cruise when you have more vacation time than she does. :D

Honestly, if you can't trust your mate for the length of a cruise or on a cruise, why married?

Did anyone say anything about trust being an issue? I must have missed it... I suppose some people would consider it a trust issue, but that speaks to either an insecurity of the non-trusting spouse or the solo cruiser's having given the non-trusting spouse a reason to not trust. I've met a number of people who were traveling solo though married and it was usually what people have mentioned here--either their spouse doesn't like to cruise or the solo cruiser has more vacation time than the absent spouse.

Did anyone say anything about trust being an issue? I must have missed it... I suppose some people would consider it a trust issue, but that speaks to either an insecurity of the non-trusting spouse or the solo cruiser's having given the non-trusting spouse a reason to not trust. I've met a number of people who were traveling solo though married and it was usually what people have mentioned here--either their spouse doesn't like to cruise or the solo cruiser has more vacation time than the absent spouse.

Ha! When one has a former professional soccer player as a husband, I learned trust super fast. 😂😂 Our ages are 45 me and he 34, so quite younger than typical.

I'm retired, DH is not. He is also not that thrilled with cruising. He goes with me every now and then. I use to cruise with my daughter, but now she's all grown up and married. I have cruised solo 5 times and I am watching for a good deal for a 6th solo. I hadn't even considered cruising solo until meeting a woman that cruises solo all the time. I quizzed her. She dared me. I am so glad she pushed me to try it. There is a difference between cruising 'solo' and cruising as a 'single'. I've cruised solo on Royal, Celebrity, MSC, and Oceania. My favorites are Celebrity and Oceania. I am looking forward to #6.

On my second cruise (a long time ago- before my wife agreed to cruise with me) I did learn the hard way there is a difference between cruising solo and cruising single. I met a very nice woman who I liked hanging out with and we enjoyed each other's company until she wanted to do what single people do. I had to put on the brakes. (It wasn't really her fault. I didn't actually say I was married because I didn't want to scare off my new "friend"). Now, when I cruise solo (which I still do occasionally), I make it very clear, in the beginning, when I meet someone that I am married. Some women become disinterested and some more relaxed.

I call it the best of both worlds. I enjoy sharing my life with a spouse. But being on my own for cruise vacations, without catering to please anyone else, is a good thing for me.

I couldn't agree more with that statement. My husband and I cruised together once. He suggested after that cruise that if I wanted to cruise again I should find someone else to cruise with me. I did, and I now cruise with one or two female friends, and we enjoy it tremendously. We've met many others who do the same.

Try it, you'll like it!

I have taken 5 cruises so far, all without my wife. The first cruise was a professional continuing education cruise and I shared a cabin with a collegue. After that it was always solo with one along with my elderly parents. My wife does not want to go on a cruise at all because she fears the open ocean ("fear of floating" instead of "fear of flying") but she allows me one or two cruises a year because she knows that I love it so much.

Same here! Although I'm new to cruising I'm hooked. My Dh has a fear also. He won't do it at all. I cruise with my MIL. And if she can't come, I have no problem going solo. I'm like that anyway. Movies, restaurants etc, I can go alone.

CARNIVAL LIBERTY 2017

CARNIVAL LIBERTY 2016

Same here! Although I'm new to cruising I'm hooked. My Dh has a fear also. He won't do it at all. I cruise with my MIL. And if she can't come, I have no problem going solo. I'm like that anyway. Movies, restaurants etc, I can go alone.

CARNIVAL LIBERTY 2017

CARNIVAL LIBERTY 2016

The post you quoted is from a while ago. Since then, my wife has been on a couple of cruises with me. After the first one she said "Now I understand why you're so cruise crazy!" She doesn't like cruising as much as I do but at least she's overcome her fear of floating.

The post you quoted is from a while ago. Since then, my wife has been on a couple of cruises with me. After the first one she said "Now I understand why you're so cruise crazy!" She doesn't like cruising as much as I do but at least she's overcome her fear of floating.

That's so nice! I'm glad it's something you and your wife can share now. I absolutely love to cruise, but I do it solo most of the time so my family and friends have to hear about it! LOL. They know me well, so they know I'm not gloating and they're excited for me, but it's not the same as sharing the anticipation with someone who's actually going with you. While I love cruising solo, I also love cruising with my daughter. She's 22 and her first cruise was more than 20 years ago. We haven't cruised together in about three years, and I booked her on my cruise next year, which is 14 nights and goes to bucket list places for both of us. I'm really looking forward to sharing those two weeks with her. :) But, if something comes up in her life (like she may be planning a wedding!) and she can't go with me, I'll still be on that ship! :D:D

Hi All,

For me solo is the way to go as DH hates travel of any kind. He went when the kids were younger and his parents came too. But now kids are adults and his mom has passed. He is a homebody. He like his own bed and shower and is not interested in seeing the world. What makes us different is what makes us interesting to each other.

My husband prefers to stay home in his favorite chair watching Gunsmoke, Bonanza and Rawhide so off I go cruising solo. I love it and we're both happy! He does come every few years but I like to cruise twice a year or more if I can. I've also done many solo trips to Las Vegas, The Bahamas and more. The first time I did it I was terrified but once I did, I felt like Wonder Woman and was completely hooked! Cruising or traveling solo is the best kept secret!!