Effective immediately, COVID-related discussion should be limited to actual policy on board ships (and other forms of travel) and its practical application. Discussion should NOT veer into opinion or debate.
Every one of us has experienced the unprecedented restrictions, disruptions and changes to our cruise travel, work, shopping, schooling, social interactions and so many other aspects of our lives since the global pandemic began in early 2020. Frankly, we have been inundated with news, information, mis-information, frustrations and opinions. We’ve heard them, we’ve shared them, we’ve argued about them.
Over the past few months, we have heard from many of you that the discussions, debates and arguments about the virus, distancing and masking policies, various politicians’ statements and actions have been overwhelming and divisive. Many topics have derailed or devolved into arguments. Cruise Critic understands the passion you all have – we have it too! -- and we are confident that we’ve moderated with a light hand and most discussions have run their course. However, there simply are better places on the web to learn about -- and debate -- scientific, medical and political issues.
The good news is….we now have a great deal to look forward to! Cruise (and travel) is beginning to open up again and it is time to refocus on why we are here: our love of cruise! So, here are the specifics:
We will NOT welcome debate or opinion about medical, scientific, or political aspects of the pandemic. There are a few often repeated trigger items that won’t be allowed:
- No statistics about infection rates,
- no discussions about where the virus may have started,
- no dialogue about individual rights,
- no commenting about after-effects of vaccinations,
- no debate about whether vaccinations or masking are effective,
- no anti-vaxxer or pro-vaxxer comments of any kind,
- no discussions about which governor or politician or news personality did or said what.
We will welcome information on COVID policies RELATED TO CRUISE. Things like:
- vaccination policies issued by individual cruise lines, venues or destinations,
- cleaning or distancing procedures in use, practical tips for cruisers or things they might need to know that are different from ports of call to embarkation ports are all valid topics.
- official policies issued by cruise line, travel destinations, airlines, etc. regarding requirements for boarding or shore excursions can be shared. This information needs to be on-topic for the specific forum and thread where posted.
We understand that you may be passionate in your opinions on this topic and want to discuss or debate them, and appreciate your understanding that there are more appropriate places than the Cruise Critic Community to do that. If, however, you are here to talk about the most passionate of vacation travel -- cruising -- let's get on with it!
Please note that the above is not all-inclusive and that Cruise Critic reserves the absolute right to reject any and all content, in our sole discretion, without notification to its author. All of our Community Guidelines are in effect. Any questions, comments or concerns regarding the above should be addressed to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org using your email address of record. Please include your member name.
Thank you to WebmasterKathy from the DISboards.com for her inspiration in creating the above notice!