Legend of the Seas – 9 Night Rome to Venice Review Summary

jrmint427

I finally finished my picture-heavy review of our cruise on Legend of the Seas. While it feels great to be done, I wish I could edit the first post to include links to the highlights. I know some people are only interested in the reviews on certain locations, whereas others may scroll through to find the daily menus and Cruise Compass listings or other information on the ship. I found all this information in other people’s trip reviews helpful to my planning. So I thought I would summarize my review here, for those who want to quickly browse for just the information you might be looking for.

As background, I traveled with my husband. We are both late 20’s, no kids (when we took this trip – one year later we now have a baby girl). I am a vegetarian, so many of the food posts highlight vegetarian options. My husband is not a vegetarian, so you will still find some pictures of meat.

The Ship – Legend of the Seas

Our Room – We stayed in room 7555, a Panoramic Ocean View (Category F)

• Cruise Compasses – Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Day 4, Day 5, Day 6, Day 7, Day 8

• Food (includes menus – all dinners were in the MDR)

o Night 1: Dinner (Casual), Dessert

o Day 2: Room Service Breakfast, Dinner (Casual), Dessert

o Day 3: Breakfast in MDR, Dinner (Formal), Dessert

o Day 4: Breakfast at Windjammer, Dinner and Dessert (Smart Casual)

o Day 5: Lunch in MDR, Dinner (Formal), Dessert

o Day 6: Dinner (Casual), Dessert

o Day 7: Dinner (Smart Casual), Dessert

o Day 8: Dinner and Dessert (Formal)

o Day 9: Dinner (Casual), Dessert

• Entertainment

o Night 4: Love & Marriage Game Show

o Day at Sea – see this post for highlights on the gym, the pool and our Cruise Critic Meet and Mingle

o Night 5: Quest Game Show

o Night 6: Aerial Show

o Night 9: Aerial Show

Ports of Call

Rome, Italy: Pre-cruise on our own - Hotel, Colosseum, The Roman Forum, The Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Dinner, Vatican Museum & St. Peter’s Basilica Tour (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4)

Naples, Italy: We took a 6-person private tour with Sorrento Top Car - Intro to Naples, Positano, Sorrento, Lunch, Pompeii

Sicily, Italy: We took the Taste of Sicily tour offered through RCI - Taormina where we visited the Greek Theater in the rain, Mount Etna where they offered “the taste” portion of our tour, and a driving tour of Catania

Valletta, Malta: We took a 12-person private tour with Touring Malta - Sail-In, Blue Grotto, Dingli Cliffs, Mdina, Cakes in Mdina, Marsaxlokk, Valletta (includes St. John’s Co-Cathedral)

Corfu, Greece: We took a 14-person private tour – Monastery in Paleokastritsa, Boat ride in Paleokastritsa (Part 1, Part 2), Paleokastritsa Beach, Lakones, Angelokastro Castle, Lunch in Corfu, we were dropped off in Corfu and had a long walk (45+ min) back to the ship

Kotor, Montenegro: We toured on our own – Sail-In, Tender Boat, Kotor, Climbing Saint John’s Fortress (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3), Lunch

Split, Croatia: We took a 14-person private tour – attempted to visit Krka National Park, ended up in Trogir, then toured Diocletian’s Palace on our own, Lunch in Split

Koper, Slovenia: We took an 8-person private tour with Roundabout – Drive through Slovenia, Vintgar Gorge, Lake Bled, Ljubljana, Lunch

Venice, Italy: We disembarked and toured on our own – Piazza San Marco and the Bell Tower, Rialto Bridge, Lunch, Saint Mark’s Basilica, Gondola Ride, Harry’s Bar, Dinner and Venice at Night

Food in Port

Rome: San Crispino (gelato), L’Archetto di Cavour (dinner), Alice Pizza (lunch)

Naples: Bar Mulino Verde (cannoli & cappuccino in Positano), Vino Vero (lunch in Sorrento)

Malta: Fontanella Tea Garden (cakes & cappuccino in Mdina), Ron’s (lunch in Marsaxlokk)

Corfu: Porta Remounda (lunch), Muka Muka (gelato)

Kotor: La Pasteria (lunch)

Split: Pizzeria Fortuna (lunch)

Koper: Rio-Momo (lunch in Ljubljana)

Venice: Da Mamo (lunch), Gelato Fantasy (gelato), Harry’s Bar (drinks), Bistrot de Venise (dinner)

Planning Posts

Part 1 – How we saved a lot of money!

Part 2 – Negotiating room upgrade and phone bill

Part 3 – Planning and packing tips

Part 4 – Pre-trip to-do list

Safety Tips

The time I almost got pick-pocketed by a 7-year-old

Always pack an umbrella

Transportation

Flight from US to Rome

Rome Cabs from airport to hotel

Using the Metro in Rome

Rome Cabs from Rome to Civitavecchia

The Tender Process (we tendered in Kotor and Split)

Alilaguna from port to hotel in Venice

Alilaguna from hotel to airport