Maui - Clockwise (and Parking Question)???

RachieLnnn

I was wondering if anyone had driven from Lahaina/Kaanapali back to the Kahului port "clockwise."

Is this unwise? There doesn't appear to be any major roads from Google Maps. Would it take a long time?

I have no problem going back the way we came (looks like 380 to 30). I was just wondering if going clockwise would be good idea, because we could see a little more of the island.

Additionally, once we are to the Lahaina area would it be better to park the car for the day and get to the Judo Mission by foot and Kaanapali by shuttle? Or is there plentiful parking at Kaanapali/Judo Mission to go from point to point?

Thanks again for any help you have, the people on this board are an amazing resource! :D

Rachie,

Driving around the West Maui mountains is a beautiful drive. It is a very slow drive with many one lane sections. Sometimes you have to negotiate the raod and even back up for others. If you are adventurous and don't mind cliffs and very small roads...it's great. I would get a guide book..enjoy the small village, and the beaches in honolua,kapalua,napili...all the way to kaanapali. Plenty of parking in kaanapali, and the jodo...then end in Lahaina for the evening. Lahaina is awesome for sunset and shopping, dinner and such in the eve.

Have fun!

It's beautiful and worth it for the confident driver. Allow a bare minimum of 3 hours from Lahaina to Kahului for the drive and stops along the way.

It is not a good drive for the nervous or new driver or for one who isn't familiar with one-lane etiquette. It's not horrible, but it is challenging, much more so than the road to Hana, IMO.

beachchick

Thanks Beachchick, that's good to know. Are there places to pull over and rest along the way? Gas stations? Food? Small towns? Or is 3 hours of straight nerve-wracking driving?

It sounds really fun to me, and I wouldn't mind 3 hours of driving compared to the whole day for Hana. I do like an adventure! (And enjoy driving, too!)

Thanks Beachchick, that's good to know. Are there places to pull over and rest along the way? Gas stations? Food? Small towns? Or is 3 hours of straight nerve-wracking driving?

It soudns really fun to me, and I wouldn't mind 3 hours of driving compared to the whole day for Hana. I do like an adventure! (And enjoy driving, too!)

We actually took this great drive last summer but in the opposite direction from Kahului to Lahaina. It was one of the highlights of our trip and every bit as beautiful as the Road to Hana (which we also drove), IMHO! My hubby LOVES to drive so this was a piece of cake for him. Going the counterclockwise direction like we were, put ME on the "view" side with the steep drop-offs,etc. But I really loved it! There are not any gas stations once you reach the "serious driving" parts. There are several small towns at either end of the drive but we had a picnic with us and then had a snack in Lahaina. There are plenty of places to eat and get gas in Kahului but I can't remember about other places. Make sure you are driving it on a clear sunny day so you can see the gorgeous views! I wouldn't want to attempt is in rainy or foggy conditions!!

Are there places to pull over and rest along the way? Gas stations? Food? Small towns? Or is 3 hours of straight nerve-wracking driving?

Lots of places to pull over and enjoy the view, but none of them are gas stations or the like. Scenery, shave ice stands, scenery, fruit stands, an art gallery, scenery.

It's an amazing drive. I loved doing it clockwise. I wouldn't recommend doing it counter-clockwise and you should never ever drive it after dark.

It should not be 3 hours of straight nerve-wracking driving. That would completely defeat the purpose of driving that route. Stop often (get the revealed books) at places like the Nakele blowhole and the olivine pools. Break for some shave ice. Pull over and just watch the ocean. Take it slow and don't be a hurry. If you're just doing it to get somewhere, go the other way.

Our Roll Call group has been searching Lahaina extensively, and have found if just running around Lahaina, to rely alot on the shuttles. Parking is at a premium. If you can locate an overnight parking lot, ( Diamond) it is costly. There is nothing right where you Tender. Many of us are going to the OLL so won't bother with car the 1st day. As stated above, plan on a full day if traveling the island with stops, and don't try and do it all in a day, split it up.

RADIANCE OF THE SEAS, HAWAII OCT 11, 2008

RachieLnnn: Please see my post on the other thread regarding your planned schedule. Everyone is right. This is a road to spend time and enjoy. It is not a "major" road by any means. And the timing you laid out in the other thread is problematic because you need to plan 3 to 4 hours and absolutely should not be driving this road after dark.

beachchick

Gwoodman,

There is parking behind Burger King directly across Front St from the Banyan tree. If you have the Maui Revealed book, the map of Lahaina shows where the parking lots are located. I seem to remember about $15 from 4 pm to 9 am when we parked there in 2003. There are several other lots within walking distance of the pier.

Archived