Anyone have experiences to share with gluten-free specialty dining?

Ninotchka

We're AQ and I'm optimistic about Blu -- but I wonder about the specialty venues. I'm particularly interested in Murano and Sushi on Five.

Getting glutened would give me a miserable 2-3 days so I'm not inclined to risk it if it's iffy. If anyone has experience, please share! Thanks.

I cannot talk about gluten free dining specificly but our experiences with food allergies and dining with Celebrity at every level have been very positive. Blu is a great place to dine, enjoy it and let the Maitre'd and your waiter know you have a gluten problem. If you want to go to one of the specialty restaurants, I know they have gluten free there too but you might want to give them a heads up when you make your reservation just so they can be prepared. I cannot say enough about how far they go, with a smile, to work with food issues but it is up you to let them know ASAP. The past few years our waiters have introduced themselves and then asked about food issues and allergies so they are truly aware of the need to be wary and not cross contaminate. Go and enjoy it all.

Our daughter has celiac disease and it has been a fantastic experience on Celebrity for all of our cruises. As soon as you board go to the main dining room and introduce yourself to the maitre 'd. From that moment on, she was catered to even in the buffet. They put food aside for her that had no cross contamination and she was able to enjoy every meal no matter where she ate. The only thing she did not eat was the gluten free bread...it was put on the salad bar next to the regular bread.

My wife is stage 4 Celiac, even the small amount of wheat or gluten in a salad dressing with put her in bed for the day. We only cruised 1 time between 2003-2011.

2011 RCCL ( 1st in 1989 )

2012 Princess ( 1st in 1992 )

2013-14-15 and our next this yr 2017, have all been with Celebrity ( 1st in 1994 )

We fill out the 'Special Needs' form, fax it in, so her Celiac is noted on our reservation.

The staff in Murano, Lawn Club Grill, and Silk Harvest have been fansastic at taking care of her. We love the filet in Tuscan, have been there 3-4-5 times, but the last visit they brought out a soup with pasta in it. She got a piece before she knew what happened. The damage was done, sick within the hour.

Celebrity has trained their staff better than the other lines, IOHO. But things do go wrong. We will go to Tuscan this cruise, but will ask and verify as each selection is put in front of her.

The dedicated, made to order, GF pizza n the Oceanview buffet was so good it almost made her tear up with joy!

When we mentioned GF, they had one of the Chefs come out and walk her thru the entire buffet area pointing things out that were ok, and other to avoid!

EW

PS:

We were in Aqua and dined in Blu on our last cruise. They made sure we had the same waiter every night so as not to need to re explain the Celiac. The second service he had a separate GF bread basket for her!

I just cruised with a friend who needs to eat gluten free. They were very good about it in every venue we ate at... including Qsine. Speak up and ask, ask, ask. Don't assume anything. There were signs at the Oceanview Café saying if you have any allergy to please ask to speak to someone before making your selections. They want to help!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so glad to hear that my dietary restrictions won't be an issue on Celebrity. I have stuck with another cruise line in the past because I didn't have any issues with my restrictions on the line. I'm wanting to go on an Asian cruise with Celebrity, but was worried about how seriously they took food issues. Glad to hear that won't be a problem.