Has anyone cruised the Majesty to Bermuda?

Ann262

Hi everyone! I am not completely new to cruise critic but I haven't been on in awhile and I forgot my user id and password and changed my email address so I reregistered.

Anyway, my husband and I are thinking about sailing on the Majesty to Bermuda in May. Has anyone sailed on the Majesty? I know it's an older ship but stretched and refurbished. Reviews have been pretty good. The only complaint I saw was the behavior of spring breakers.

Also any thoughts on Burmuda as a destination. It sails out of Boston and spends 4 days in St. George.

I would love to hear anything good and bad!!

I haven't cruised in awhile and I am getting withdrawal!!

I have another question:

Are there plenty of restaurants and food options that do not charge a surcharge?

We don't mind doing that for a meal or two but we aren't used to having to do that for all meals and I am just wondering. I found a great deal on a cruise to Bermuda in May, but if meals aren't included it might not be the deal it seems.

Just want to know.

As you can see from my signature, we've sailed the Majesty many times, with another trip coming up in July. She's an older, smaller ship without the glitz of the newer ships, but very comfortable with a crew that is the best in NCL's fleet.

There are two main restaurants (seven seas and four seasons), LeBistro, LaTrattoria, and the buffet on the Majesty. There's also the San Marco grill which is open 24 hours for hot dogs, burgers, fries, pizza, salad. Since you're cruising in May, you won't have any problem getting into the restaurants (kids are still in school, so the ship shouldn't be too full). Do make your reservations for LeBistro ($15 cover charge) and LaTrattoria (no extra charge) early.

Bermuda is a beautiful place, our absolute favorite! Go on the Bermuda forum for information on all there is to do there. Do take advantage of the dining ashore vouchers ($5 gets you lunch -- worth $25, or upgrade to a dinner voucher for $10 -- worth $50) and enjoy a meal in Bermuda.

Enjoy the Majesty and Bermuda! She's a great little ship!

Are there plenty of restaurants and food options that do not charge a surcharge?

We don't mind doing that for a meal or two but we aren't used to having to do that for all meals and I am just wondering. I found a great deal on a cruise to Bermuda in May, but if meals aren't included it might not be the deal it seems.

Just want to know.

The Majesty is an older ship and as such not really set up for the multiple-dining venues. There are two main dining rooms, and an Italian Restaurant that are not extra. There is a very small "Le Bistro" that does have a surcharge. And of course there is the buffet.

Also in prior years, and I assume the same for this year, NCL offers a dine ashore program in Bermuda. A voucher is offered - 5 dollars for lunch or 10 dollars for dinner. This voucher is for dining in Bermuda. Bermuda is a beautiful island and many people prefer over many of the Caribbean islands. If you haven't looked at a map, it is located about as far north as the Carolinas. May is beautiful, but won't necessarily be beach weather. We have been a couple of times in April and have been swimming but we are crazy.

Yes the ship is older and there are complaints about that. Many people love the ship and make the trip an annual event. The crew is the best. We've been on 6 times. We're not sure if we are going to be able to sail her this year and since it is the last year will be pretty disappointed if we can't fit it in.

Anyway, my advice is to go for it, you will love it.

Thank you all so much for your nice replies.

DH and I will talk it over this weekend and make sure we can get off work and a sitter for the dog!

Thanks for the tip on the meal ashore vouchers. That's great! Of course, we'd want to enjoy a meal Bermuda. That's part of the visit!

This is a favorite sailing of mine. The most relaxing cruise I've ever been on. As the others have said, and as you've read, it is older but she's a gem and we'll all miss her when she leaves the fleet.:( There are many who have been on this sailing 5+ times.

Bermuda is absolutely gorgeous. Lot's of info can be found on the Ports of Call board and I also have a favorite author that writes books that feature cruises.:) Her Winds of Change book has a cruise to Bermuda and I read it after I'd gone and it was wonderful to read about the places I'd been. www.AlisaAllan.com is where you can find more info. That site also has a picture link on the left and there's some pictures of Bermuda and the Majesty I think.

Have fun!:D

Stop thinking about it. Book it now.

The Majesty is an older, smaller ship, without balconies, with few suites, and with fewer restaurants, but it is in great shape and the crew will take of you well.

When you are in Bermuda for three days, you will not mind missing a balcony or a handful of extra speciality restaurants. Bermuda makes the best balcony anyone could ask for. A beach is within walking distance to the ship. Shops are just a hundred feet from the pier. NCL's dine ashore program more than compensates the Majesty's lack of restaurants. Why dine aboard the ship when you can dine ashore at real 5 star restaurants?

I wrote a partial review or our Majesty cruise last June if you want to check it out. (finished 4 days, I believe)... The roll calls are not as active as for some of the other ships.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=531192&goto=newpost

We loved it and would recommend this cruise to anyone. Just know that it is not a new ship, but the crew and staff were fantastic. Some of the rooms are very small, so make sure you check the size if you want something larger than 108 sq. ft.

We loved Bermuda also. It's very relaxing to be docked at the same port for 4 days.

Enjoy your cruise....

Jackie

The Majesty Boston to Bermuda cruise was our very first cruise in May 2002. We have done this cruise a total of 9 times. Just booked #10 for Sept 30, 2007. Have to agree with everyone else it is a wonderful experience. We will be so sorry when she leaves the NCL fleet.

Same here...I love the Majesty! I'm going in June for my seventh time. It is a smaller ship, but it's not lacking in charm. The Majesty has the best crew. Definitely take advantage of the Dine Ashore coupons. I like to use mine at The Carriage House in St. George. They do not give you a limited menu as some of the others do. You can choose anything from their regular menu. The food is excellent. St. George is a quaint little town, and I'm sure you will love it. It's easy to get allover the island using public transportation. Book it now and have a great cruise!

We've cruised to Alaska and Hawaii amongst other places. I have to say that Bermuda has been our favorite andfor that reason we have done this cruise several times. I have posted a video with pictures from our last cruise on the "Video" page of these boards - feel free to take a look at that!

Thanks so much! You guys are great!

I am looking at flights into Boston and I can get one that arrives at 1:35. The ship leaves at 4:00. Is that enough time? If not, we could fly into Boston Saturday evening. Where would be a good place to stay that would be quick and easy to get to the ship in the morning without costing a fortune? We basically would want a place that's safe and clean. Any particular areas of Boston I should look for when booking.

We always, always, fly in the day before when we've booked our own air. So many things can go wrong with flights I never want to chance it. As for hotels you can check the East coast Departure board and there might be some suggestions there. We stayed at the Hyatt, can't remember where exactly it was but it had a gorgeous view across to the city on the other side. And just took a cab to the port. I'm not sure if there's anything really, really close to the port.

Whenever I book hotels I tend to use Priceline and more info on how to bid and hotels that come up in the area can be found at www.biddingfortravel.com. As I said, it was a gorgeous Hyatt and I think I got it for less than $60.00 when it normally went for a couple of hundred. But check the departure boards and you should find more info. Have fun!:D

The Majesty Boston to Bermuda cruise was our very first cruise in May 2002. We have done this cruise a total of 9 times. Just booked #10 for Sept 30, 2007. Have to agree with everyone else it is a wonderful experience. We will be so sorry when she leaves the NCL fleet.

Looks like we'll be on the same cruise, Sept. 30th, 2007 It will be the Majesty's last cruise out of Boston. I'm sure going to miss her!!

When we wanted to just relax, this is the ship we took.

I wonder if they will have some kind of going away party for her!

Any ship replacing her won't be doing the 3 1/2 days docked in St. George. I love St. George. The shops, the beaches and the people!

Maddie

We're not sure if we are going to be able to sail her this year and since it is the last year will be pretty disappointed if we can't fit it in.

Now I'm quoting myself. I am so excited. Smellytoes reports live from the Dawn that this will NOT be the last year for the Majesty.:D

There is one 5 day cruise after the Sept 30 cruise.

I'm actually planning on booking that tomorrow. I hadn't noticed it before last Friday. DS will be a senior on the football team and I really don't want to miss a game. It would probably be the one where he scores the winning touchdown or something. The October one means no loss of being home Friday or Saturday.:)

Hi everyone! Good news. DH and I have decided to take this trip. He got the approval for the time off I just have to talk with my boss today. If she gives me the green light, I will book it.

I am going book through Continental so I can get miles for it. I've priced this just about every which way and it's the same no matter what.

One question, we will likely stay at the Adams Inn. Do they have shuttle from the airport? Do people just take taxis? How do you get from the ship to the airport?

I lied two questions. I am planning to book a 2:00 pm flight home. Is that okay timing wise? If I remember correctly, anything after noon works.

Now, I just have to figure out what to do with my 13 month old, 80 pound, labrador retriever........any takers?:p

You'll have to get him to Boston and back if you want any of us to watch him. :D

Boston is nice in May, you might want to think about spending an extra couple of days if you haven't been here before.

Jackie

Archived