Ketchikan Adventure Kart Expedition Review

cruisin'mama

I was in Ketchikan on Wed. June 28 with my 3 teenage boys. They chose to do the Adventure Kart Expedition ( $199 PP). We met at the dock and had some late additions to the group so we were a little late getting started. We boarded an old school bus for the hour long ride to the Tongass National Forest for the adventure. The bus driver pointed out "highlights" along the way including the elementary school, high school, harbor, etc. The last half of the ride was over a bumpy dirt road. We were extremely fortunate to have a beautiful sunny day and the driver at one point stated she had never been thru that particular area when it hadn't been raining. We arrived at the base camp and were given some safety instructions, then waterproof suspender pants and helmets. We could have taken rain coats, but we didn't need them that day. We were told we could leave our personal items behind or take a bungee cord to strap our stuff down. There were probably 26 people or so in the group. Surprisingly there were a lot of older people in our group. We loaded into 2 person open ATVs and had a lead guide and a trail guide. We were off and went thru beautiful area on gravel roads. I rode with my 18 year old following my 19 year old with my youngest son as his passenger. The karts went pretty fast and my boys tried to see what all they would do. They were really enjoying this! It was kind of bumpy, but you would expect that if you were in an ATV! We stopped for a photo op stop by a waterfall. Then off again. We went a little further then took a longer break by a stream. We were given a little pack of Goldfish crackers and a small bottled water. Our Kart kept dying when my son try to start it up again, so they switch karts for him with one of the guides. The kart they gave him wasn't in as good of condition and I was a little concerned with the steering wheel lifting up. We took off again and my son said the brakes on the new kart didn't work as well as the original one we were given. We went around a curve and we spun out. My son had to get turned around quickly before the next kart came around the bend. We just got going again when we saw my other sons off the side of the road. They had come around the bend a little too fast and slid off the road and were stuck. I must let you know that my son had already been given a warning to stay in the middle of the road so I am sure he had a major hand in the kart getting stuck ( if you are worried that it might happen to you too ) The guides came back and we in contact with each other over walkie-talkies. It was determined that they wouldn't be able to dislodge the kart so I sent my youngest son in my place and I stayed back with my 19 year old to get a ride back with the guides. When we got back to camp, my son had to fill out an accident report. They were selling T-shirts and sweatshirts then we headed for the catamaran that was right there for our ride back to the pier. There was a young guy giving narration on the way back and he was very informative. We were told that the regular boat was chartered for the day so we got the "nice " boat so I don't know if he would normally be on the catamaran. This boat had complimentary hot chocolate and coffee and sold a few snack items and microwavable sandwiches. It took about 1/2 hour to get back. I was upstairs on deck and saw a bear on the shore, but no one inside, downstairs noticed it. Overall it was a very fun day and my kids say that it was the highlight of their cruise. I know for me it didn't beat the Hubbard Glacier or a few other things, but it was fun. I'm not sure how it would be on a rainy day when it's muddy, which probably happens quite often. If anyone has any questions, I'll be happy to answer them if I can.

Cathy

• 2 months later...

Cathy,

Thanks so much for the review! We are on the Sun 9/16 and I was thinking about doing this tour. There was not alot of information about it on the boards, so your review was really helpful. I am pretty sure that we will be doing the Karts!

My boys still talk about that excursion. I'm taking my youngest son on a Mexican Riviera cruise in Feb. and he wants to make sure that we go another ATV trip while we're there. It won't be quite the same as Alaska, but I've agreed to do another one. Hope you enjoy it and have nice weather.

Cathy

Archived