Carnival Secrets & Tips they don't usually tell you about

imagine8

I have really enjoyed the OP with similar title but it is dated 2004 and a lot of the responses go WAY back and seem to be outdated.

I thought it would be good to start a new thread so all of the info would be current.

So???? Spill the beans!!

I have found that by sending a letter (NOT an E-Mail) to any cruise line regarding you past cruise, Good or Bad, you will usually get a response with a percentage off your next cruise, shore excursion or OBC if you book their line in the future. :DName people in the letter. Crew members work hard and a pat on the back for them doesn't hurt.

I have really enjoyed the OP with similar title but it is dated 2004 and a lot of the responses go WAY back and seem to be outdated.

I thought it would be good to start a new thread so all of the info would be current.

So???? Spill the beans!!

I see that original thread is on page one again. If you go to the "Last Page" and work your way backwards, all the info is new :) Plus, most of that stuff, while outdated, is still good info. Like, "Where is the secret door on the Imagination?" That door hasn't moved in 6 years ;)

I have found that by sending a letter (NOT an E-Mail) to any cruise line regarding you past cruise, Good or Bad, you will usually get a response with a percentage off your next cruise, shore excursion or OBC if you book their line in the future. :DName people in the letter. Crew members work hard and a pat on the back for them doesn't hurt.

Carnival used to do this but does not anymore. Now, when you send a letter (not email) you get a note back thanking you and that is it. Mostly, I don't think they read them very clearly as, in my last letter I praised my steward and wait staff and described what an awful CD Risa was (though I voiced it nicely, of course ;)). I said nothing about the Captain at all. The letter I got back thanked me for my "praise of the steward, wait staff, Risa and the Captain." So, it was clear to me that no one actually read very clearly, what the note said.

Best advice is don't book excursions onboard. MUCH cheaper if you book once you are at port. Don't let anyone scare you either. I have never had any trouble getting back to the ship on times.

BTW, what's up with all the bitchiness?? "First thread was fine"....Whatever....this IS 2010. Don't feel bad.

I would say its much better to book and research while you are at home. This board has all the info you could ever want regarding excursions.

Yes but I don't recommend booking ahead. Too much chance of a change of itinerary. If you wait until there u don't risk losing any moulah!;)

The vast majority(80%) of excursions dont require a deposit and those that do, usually offer a refund if there is a schedule change.

But that's a decision each person has to make.

LOL then why u reading this thread?

I just joined today so I wouldn't know about the old one.

Well, may I be the first then to direct over there. A wealth of information from old, new and regular cruisers.

And as a newbie being asked to follow guidelines, please let me instruct you to do a search first before posting. It really helps the community.

LOL then why u reading this thread?

I just joined today so I wouldn't know about the old one.

You go girl -ask away and welcome by the way. You have to take a lot of these posters with a grain of salt. They feel that if a question has been posted in the past it should not be asked again - if they had their way this board would not exist as every imaginable question has been asked at some point. I think sometimes they feel this board is theirs and no newbies should be allowed. There are different searches out there but if you don't know that or how to access them then this is where to come. Some posters are awesome and will give you any advice needed, others, if you go back on their posts are just critical and demeaning. |Me thinks they put to much starch in their shorts. Just ignore them and ask away. Have an awesome cruise.

When I searched for new posts, this came up. I thought it was probably the same ol' one I had read with a few new things. I was surprised and pleased to see the new one. I think BOTH are good. There is a lot of good stuff in the old one. I have been on the boards for a few years and it seems there are some posters who are getting REALLY cranky. :mad: Dont condemn people for their threads. If you dont like a thread or arent interested in the topic, dont read it.

PLEASE, this is for people going on a cruise, hence they should be happy! Why would you want to dampen their spirits by being hateful? If I were a newbie and came on now, reading some of these posts would scare me away, not only from this board, but possibly from cruising..........I would think, Jeez, I dont want to go on my wonderful happy vacation with all these grumpy people.

Dont worry, Be happy:D

Be positive & truthful, I know there are some things that happen on a cruise that arent always great, tell it like it is, but dont scare them away with your attitude.

I sent letter after our cruise in 2008 where we renewed our wedding vows. I kept receipts so I'd have names spelled correctly etc. We received letter back thanking us for our comments and they offered us a free gift from the bon voyage department for our next cruise. I believe it had a dollar amount on it as I ordered a bar coupon worth $21 and change for our 2009 cruise. I wrote after our 2009 cruise and got a thanks for writing letter, nothing else. I think they looked at our 2008 sail and sign account and the gift was a token for "see if you can top that amount next year":D Spent A LOT on anniversary cruise:eek:

But I'd like to add the comment that if you name names, those letters are put into their personnel file and their supervisors bring them in to discuss the passenger comments. Bartender we became friendly with and were e-mailing told us they brought her into the office. I did not tell her I was sending letter so she thought she was in some kind of trouble. Instead she got a pat on the back. I'm hoping my 2009 letter did the same for all the employees I mentioned.

Archived