Holiday Inn - South Beach - Florida DISAPPOINTING

The Cellar Dweller

HOLD ON TO YOUR WALLET?? Spent one evening at the Holiday Inn in South Beach. Hotel is located around 22nd Street. Hotel was clean. Location is very bad. More vacant buildings than occupied buildings. Lot of grafitti. Resturant selection is very poor. There is an "OUTBACK" attached to the Holiday Inn, 2 steak dinners (including salad), one salmon dinner 2 scotches and 1 diet soda no dessert total bill $106.00 Walking at night is not recommended. We went back to the Hotel and decided to visit the cocktail lounge for a night cap 8:00PM ordered 2 scotches nothing else. Total bill $21.30. The bartender would not accept a credit card as the machine was broken. Would not let it be charged to your room. End up paying cash.

Breakfast the next morning was a real joke as well. Buffet style. Typical breakfast food. Nothing fancy. Are your ready $11.95 per person. There were 3 of us. Over $40.00 for breakfast, I don't think so. We opt to use the Lobby Cafe'. Two coffees, one orange juice, 1 bagel w/cream cheese and a blueberry muffin total $9.00.

I have stayed at many Holiday Inn's throught the U.S. and will more than likely stay at one in the future, but not this one. My family agrees, one night was enough.icon13.gif

Regarding walking at night and restaurant selection:

I own a condo at Collins and 23rd,next to the Holiday Inn,so have a little experience with the neighborhood. Walking is perfectly safe here. And there are many,many restaurants a few bllocks away on either Ocean Drive or Lincoln Rd. In fact,our family often walks to either of those for dinner.

It's unfortunate the hotel did not meet your expectations,as the area it is in is great.

I was also suprised/disappointed that you did not have a good experience at the Holiday Inn. I use to travel to Miami often, and this was always my favorite place to stay. The location and the hotel itself was great. It has been a few years since business has brought me to the Holiday Inn... What a shame.

There was one other item I forgot to mention. When I got up early the next morning to take a walk (6:45AM) there were couple of bums (maybe that's to strong) sleeping in the door ways of a couple of resturants. The Cubian Rest. directly across the street was one. We just didn't feel very confortable.

I am sorry to hear you had a bad time. We stayed there last August and walked a lot at night,

there was a stip a

couple of blocks away with lots of indoor and outdoor resturants. We also really enjoyed being right on the beach. We walked the board walk many times and never felt unsafe. I hope things haven't changed that much. If you let a homeless man bother you, you better not go to any big cities. I hope you have better luck next time. Don't let one experience deter you from going again you will miss out on a lot of good things SouthBeach has to offer.

Sorry to hear of your disappointment with SoBe. I know how expensive those 'Outback' restaurants can be. And those bums, I swear, I think they come down from up north with the snowbirds. The nerve of them to sleep in the doorway, they supposed sleep in the gutter.

It sounds like Disney would be more to your liking. They do not allow bums to sleep in their doorways. ;)

Have only been to South Beach twice and both times were for work, I forget the place we stayed the first time and the second was at Lowes (thank heaveans they paid for the hotel) The hotel was awesome but found that everything in SB to be expensive so Im not surprised at the prices. We walked alot at night and never felt it was unsafe. South beach is a beautiful place to visit and to be honest was no more expensive than a trip to NY City.

When I first started using this site I was under the impression "Voicing One's Opinion" was important for a person to obtain information, take that information, and then analyze this information to form your own opinion (to help your make a descision). Bashing or putting out sarcastic replies really isn't necessary nor does assist in forming ones opinion. My previous boards were not intended to put South Beach down but rather pass along my experience as to what I was told of South Beach prior to staying there compared to actually staying in South Beach. Besides, read my first board again, it's reflecting on the Holiday Inn and the immediate sourroundings of the Inn not the entire community of South Beach. I apologize if I affended anyone.

Cellar Dweller-

While you commented on the Holiday Inn,you also mad esome generalizationa about South Beach as well. These generealizations were based on your verty limited experience there,which is what some of us are taking exception to.

You commented on a homeless person. It is a city after all. While the authorities do work to minimize this,it happens in an urban setting. To expect otherwise is unrealistic.

You commented on boarded up buildings and graffiti,drawing the conclusion teh area was bad beacause of this. It's called construction! There is so much growth going on down there now. There's a difference between growth and decay. As for graffiti,again it's an urban thing, and not something that would influence my vacation ecperience at all.

You commented on lack of dining choices. As stated previously there are a ton of good options a few blocks away,some of which are a better value than Outback. Also, Talula is right across the street,and was listed in last month's Travel and Leisure as one of the top 40 hot new restaurants in the country,in fact,and it's fabulous.

You commented on the area being unsafe and stated walking at night is not recommended. As stated previously we spend some time there at our vacation home, and the area is safe. we walk at night freaquently as do thousands of others each night.

I am sorry your experience was not a good one. This may in part be due to your unfamiliarity with the area. Some of your conclusions are therefore inaccurate. South Beach is a great place.kind of like NYC on the ocean in my opinion

Sorry to hear of your disappointment with SoBe. I know how expensive those 'Outback' restaurants can be. And those bums, I swear, I think they come down from up north with the snowbirds. The nerve of them to sleep in the doorway, they supposed sleep in the gutter.

It sounds like Disney would be more to your liking. They do not allow bums to sleep in their doorways. ;)

Everyone has a right to an opinion. The Cellar Dweller was expressing it. We felt very unsafe walking around with a teenager. I have no problem paying high prices for a good meal, but the cost of our meal at the Outback was a little much for a sit down fast food restaurant maybe a little more high class than a McDonalds, but Outback is still fast foods. As for the $21.50 in the bar at the Holiday Inn, thats pretty steep for 2 scotch drinks. A drink at a fine NYC bar doesn't go that high.

Also the Friday we were there, some poor unsuspecting vacationer parked their car on the side street of the Holiday Inn, went inside for for a quick breakfast, by the time they got back to their car, it had been broken into. These people were also from Fl. Yes that happens all over, even in Snowbird country, but you really wouldn't expect that in such a safe area. You should be able to go on vacation, stay in a safe area without any worries. Especially when the area caters to tourism, weather its for one night or several.

As for going to Disney, that has been done several times. Nice place, but every city has bums sleeping in door ways, park benches. Too bad the "Snowbirds" get bashed for bringing business into SoBe area.

Perhaps the next time we go to the So Be area Bequia we will contact you for some great advise as to where to eat and stay. ;)

We stayed at the Holiday Inn South Beach in March 2003. We thought the location was excellent and loved the fact that the boardwalk and beach were steps away from the hotel. I thought the SB area was very very expensive and I don't typically complain about prices on vacation. I can't imagine taking a family on a week's vacation to SB!! We did this post-cruise and it was very relaxing. The hotel is in need of updating and there were lots of college kids on spring break. We paid $169 a night and thought that was a bit expensive but the beach was the best part. Umbrellas and chairs included as part of the package. We ate lunch across the street at Subway and there was a convenience store just a minute or so away. The Outback was so crowded that the wait time was 2 hours. If you want to be near Ocean Drive, it's a long walk (we did it during the day from the beach). Would recommend a taxi at night. Once in a lifetime experience but would recommend staying downtown if staying just one night before a cruise.

Number one, your in Miami. Prices are comparable to the area. Number two, a travel journal did a study a couple years ago and the findings were that the tourists who complained the most were the ones from the metro new york/new jersey areas. Not saying that you fall into this category, and I do understand you are voicing your opnion, but the original poster seemed to have an unrealistic expectation. If you have to be cheap when you go to another location especially for a vacation, then you either need to be prepared to spend extra money so you don't have to worry, and accept that, or go with the flow.I know vacations cost a lot of money but maybe you should have planned better. Feel free to start throwing things at me! Menina

Number one, your in Miami. Prices are comparable to the area. Number two, a travel journal did a study a couple years ago and the findings were that the tourists who complained the most were the ones from the metro new york/new jersey areas. Not saying that you fall into this category, and I do understand you are voicing your opnion, but the original poster seemed to have an unrealistic expectation. If you have to be cheap when you go to another location especially for a vacation, then you either need to be prepared to spend extra money so you don't have to worry, and accept that, or go with the flow.I know vacations cost a lot of money but maybe you should have planned better. Feel free to start throwing things at me! Menina

....I won't throw things at you, but we are not from the metro NY/NJ area. We have an Outback in our area, the prices are not that high here for that restaurant. The food was good, just very pricy. We have no problem with high prices, and spending money to have an enjoyable vacation. Its just that for the area, and what we saw, and this will open up the can of worms again I am sure, it was not in a great area. Yes the beach was lovely, it was just the hotel and resturant too pricey for the area and what we got. We have done many cruises from Miami, stayed at the Biscayne Bay Marriott, we also didn't feel comfortable on the street there. Actually we though of walking around, I was advised not to take my pocketbook on the streets. So how safe is that? The resturants at that hotel were also pricey, but no we didn't complain,we know thats what happens in a resort area. Another place a few yrs ago was the Fountain Blue, again $250.00 for dinner and show for 2 is high, but it was great. It the type of resturant we were surprised at charging such high prices. Outback is an upscale fast food place. Next year when we go again, we will be staying downtown.

Oh and thank you for understanding people voicing ones own opinion. Some here don't agree with that. Yes, the original poster is my DH

stayed at the Biscayne Bay Marriott, we also didn't feel comfortable on the street there.

How could you not feel safe at the Biscayne Bay Marriott? Thats ground zero for tourists in Miami, the best protected area in town. Perhaps you have whats known as "big city phobia". I know quite a few people that are uncomfortable in the big city, its nothing to be embarrassed about. But, you should plan your stay accordingly. I'd suggest the airport hotels, they're the most homogenized hotels anywhere. If you closed your eyes in an airport hotel you could be in Kansas.

Actually we though of walking around, I was advised not to take my pocketbook on the streets. So how safe is that?

Heck, I advise friends visiting me not to bring their pocketbooks on the streets. Its like dangling a bone in a dogs face. Thats just plain common sense. Then again, I live in the "big city", I know better.

How could you not feel safe at the Biscayne Bay Marriott? Thats ground zero for tourists in Miami, the best protected area in town.

Heck, I advise friends visiting me not to bring their pocketbooks on the streets. Its like dangling a bone in a dogs face. Thats just plain common sense. Then again, I live in the "big city", I know better.

It was not me feeling safe but what the hotel employee said. Now this was in '86 so maybe little different back then. I love the area, would much rather stay there, besides we like the mall across the way, and just the Mariott it self there. I should have been more clear on how I worded it, sorry

I acually don't live in a big city as in NYC but near Albany, so thats not too bad but still have to becareful in some areas, weather its big city or little.

Well, if it was 1986 when you were there, then you might want to study history and it was not too many years when the Mariel Boatlift had occured and Fidel let all the prisoners out of Cuba and they all fled to Miami.

But, regarding the prices..it's Miami, it's a tourist mecca, and the prices are consistent. Even the dive motels in Miami can be pricey.

It was not me feeling safe but what the hotel employee said. Now this was in '86 so maybe little different back then. I love the area, would much rather stay there, besides we like the mall across the way, and just the Mariott it self there. I should have been more clear on how I worded it, sorry

I acually don't live in a big city as in NYC but near Albany, so thats not too bad but still have to becareful in some areas, weather its big city or little.

Well, if it was 1986 when you were there, then you might want to study history and it was not too many years when the Mariel Boatlift had occured and Fidel let all the prisoners out of Cuba and they all fled to Miami.

But, regarding the prices..it's Miami, it's a tourist mecca, and the prices are consistent. Even the dive motels in Miami can be pricey.

OK Thanks

Sorry your stay at the Holiday Inn at SB was disappointing. We spent 5 days there in Nov while visiting our son at UM, we had a great time! For the price, it was clean, right on the beach and all the things you get included that you would pay for at other hotels, parking, beach chairs, etc, it saved us a lot of money. I agree, the resturant in the hotel left much to be desired, but found a lot of other places great to eat.( Oceans 10 in SB is great for dinner, cost a bit, but worth it.) We def will go back, being beach lovers, and have recommended it for friends who are cruising out of Miami.

As mentioned previously, I'm a resident here, but this weekend have guests and have the opportunity to stay at both hotels you mentioned.....Marriot Biscayne Bay, and this particular Holiday Inn. So maybe I'll write a review after this weekend!! Menina

....I won't throw things at you, but we are not from the metro NY/NJ area. We have an Outback in our area, the prices are not that high here for that restaurant. The food was good, just very pricy. We have no problem with high prices, and spending money to have an enjoyable vacation. Its just that for the area, and what we saw, and this will open up the can of worms again I am sure, it was not in a great area. Yes the beach was lovely, it was just the hotel and resturant too pricey for the area and what we got. We have done many cruises from Miami, stayed at the Biscayne Bay Marriott, we also didn't feel comfortable on the street there. Actually we though of walking around, I was advised not to take my pocketbook on the streets. So how safe is that? The resturants at that hotel were also pricey, but no we didn't complain,we know thats what happens in a resort area. Another place a few yrs ago was the Fountain Blue, again $250.00 for dinner and show for 2 is high, but it was great. It the type of resturant we were surprised at charging such high prices. Outback is an upscale fast food place. Next year when we go again, we will be staying downtown.

Oh and thank you for understanding people voicing ones own opinion. Some here don't agree with that. Yes, the original poster is my DH

As mentioned previously, I'm a resident here, but this weekend have guests and have the opportunity to stay at both hotels you mentioned.....Marriot Biscayne Bay, and this particular Holiday Inn. So maybe I'll write a review after this weekend!! Menina

I would love to hear your review when you return......negative or positive....everyone had different likes and dislikes. Since we are going to stay in Miami day before our next cruise any information we can get would be helpful.

Have a great weekend

I saw both hotels this afternoon while downtown doing buisness. Marriot is spectacular, overlooks Biscayne Bay, you can see some of the port but not much, you could walk to some decent restaraunts, etc. Holiday Inn South Beach..a little older, but if you want the true "south beach " experience this is the place to stay as it's in the art deco district and you could walk to Lincoln Road Mall for cafes, etc which would take 10 minutes or less. It's in a neat area where all the old botique hotels such as Loews, etc. are. Another plus is it's right on the beach. I think me and my darling are staying at the Marriot instead because it's more conveneint for us. Also, I noticed an Avis rent a car a block or so from the Holiday Inn. Holiday Inn is about a 10 minute cab ride to port, Marriot about the same or less.

One thing I will say about our great city is that it's very multiethnic and others who are not used to that may feel threatened or even uncomfortable. You can find just about every cuisine imaginable. But in terms of safety overall, the city makes zillions in tourists dollars so I think public safety is a a priority, and also the miami beach police station is a few blocks away at 24th/Washington.

I'll have more on the marriott later.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with the OP's opinions on this hotel. My husband and I stayed there on 12/3 (pre-cruise) as well as on 12/11 (post-cruise) for 1 night both times.

Both stays were wonderful - the bartender, Daniela, was a sweetheart. The manager on duty allowed us to use his office computer to print our boarding passes (the computer they have available to the public does not have a printer). The parking fees are waived if you are a guest. As a Priority Club member, the buffet breakfast is only $7.95 pp. Beach chairs & umbrellas are also included.

We felt safe walking in South Beach & walked all the way up to Washington & 15th streets (from Collins & 22nd). Lincoln Road Mall is within walking distance. There are numerous restaurants within walking distance of the hotel (we never ate at Outback) and if you don't want to walk, cabs are always waiting outside.

We enjoyed this hotel & will use it again in the future.

Jo Anne

Archived