GCT's Holland & Belgium in Springtime

JerseyGem

DH (CPT Trips) & I just returned from our "Springtime" river cruise with GCT on their River Concerto. We did the Brussels to Amsterdam route, with no pre- or post-extensions. We'll post a full review in a few days (too much laundry at the moment LOL). However, if anyone is going on this trip soon and has questions, we'll be happy to answer as best we can. DH has already posted with advice about Keukenhof Flower Park (beautiful).

Just briefly- our cruise was wonderful. We certainly would recommend this cruise (and ship) with the suggestion that you do it a little later in the season. Although it was technically Springtime, the weather can be quite fickle. Belgium and The Netherlands had a warm spell a few weeks before we arrived. We, unfortunately, had unusually cold weather- with some snow, sleet, hail, rain, etc. On the good side, the fickle weather "bonded" our group- as we met our cruise mates, we always had a current topic (the weather) to start a conversation. And the sun did eventually come out for brief periods on some days.

What Optional Trips did you take ? Are there any you would recommend or avoid ? Are there good options to do / see things on your own if you do not do their Trips ? Did you find any particularly interesting things to see or do on your own ? Any restaurants you would recommend or avoid ?

What Hotel did you stay at in Brussels and how was it ?

Were there lots of opportunities to buy Cheese, Flower Bulbs, and Belgium Chocolates for bringing back to USA ?

Thanks for offering to answer questions !

I'm Jersey Gem's DH, we travel together :) Just as a point of info, we were on a GCT trip and went from Brussels to Amsterdam starting Easter weekend. I know they also do the reverse itinerary, and some of the activities and optionals may be on a bit different schedule - this might leave more or less time in certain ports.

Rereading this, no sense doing a trip review! :)

Optionals - We went to the Delta Works and highly recommend taking that excursion. It is a monumental engineering feat and must be seen to be understood. We had horrid weather that day, cold, wind and a bit of rain, snow and sleet mixed in - perfect to realize why the barrier is necessary. The down side is that the bus ride to the coast was a bit long, but we did get to see the Dutch countryside.

- We also went to Delft. There is a visit to a pottery shop which was interesting, a city walk and the opportunity to visit the church were Vermeer is buried (at your expense) and a Vermeer museum (also at your expense) that does not have originals. While enjoyable, I can't recommend one way or the other.

- We did not do the Lier optional while in Brussels, but it got favorable reviews.

- We also did not do the Double Dutch (Zaanse Schans and Haarlem), very few people went and we heard little about it.

For the most part, the ship is cruising while the optionals are occuring (except Lier) but there may a little free time ashore.

There was plenty of free time in Brussels. We went to Brugge for the day rather than take the Lier optional. A weekend round trip costs 13.50 euro, weekday 23 and there is also a senior rate with a substantial reduction . . . check with the PDs. Also worth noting is that the PDs walked a group to the station . . . we left earlier. Visit Brugge!

Also a few people hopped off the boat in Hoorn and took trains to Amsterdam or intermediate towns they wanted to visit. It worked well for them by all reports. The trickiest part was finding the ship, but the boarding pass you take ashore has the ship's telephone number to call and find out the dock. In one case, a group had the cab driver call . . . he took the short direct route from the station! In another the couple called from the station and walked the mile or so to the ship.

We stayed in the Brussels Hilton (Louise) - there are two Hiltons. It was fine - actually a better class than we would buy on our own - and in a good area of shops (trendy as well as "regular") and nearby ATMs for cash.

There are a variety of restaurants nearby within easy walking distance. We ate primarily at one - Trappist - which was across the street. More a brasserie than restaurant. It had a good beer selection and the same for food. Moules (mussels) prepared a variety of ways, some local dishes (stoompf? check with your PD) omelets and salads as well as other entrees. A bit further away, but still an easy walk, are two streets with many restaurants. The weather led us to stay close to the hotel at night.

We also lunched and very much enjoyed La Mort Subite (another brasserie) in Brussels. In Antwerp we snacked and enjoyed some beers in another brasserie . . . unfortunately I can't remember the name. It was right by the main square and the church and had lots of old cherubs, gargoyles etc as decor. The translation of the name includes "angel."

We visited a small chocolate factory in Brussels. Their product was (and is) very tasty and the price was right. There was plenty of shopping time in Brussels (and really at each "port") to buy whatever you want. we also visited KeukenhofPark and the Aalsmeer Flower Auction where many folks bought bulbs for shipment to the states when the time is correct. There was also plenty of time in Amsterdam to do or buy what ever you want.

Your input is valuable and I appreciate the time you took to answer in detail !

We are also on GCT and you are correct - our ship (the M/S Ravel ) is on a reverse Amsterdam to Brussels Itinerary to yours.

Many of the Optionals sound similar, but I do not think the Delta works is offered. There is a Flanders Field trip option. My Wife does not particularly care for Delft products and I would rather sample Dutch beers than Museums, so I think we will forego that one. The Lier Trip feedback sounds good, but I have had others tell me not to miss Brugge. I guess we will have to hear more about the Double Dutch Treat.

Hopefully our April 24th visit to Keukenhof Gardens will be better weather !

We are also at the Brussels Hilton for 3 nights so its good to know which restaurants you enjoyed.

I assume the PDs will have lots of recommendations about choices, but I like to hear from other travelers. Thanks again.

dlhamlten - glad to help . . .

Save some room for the Belgium brews! They are much better than the Dutch - even our Dutch PDs said that. Warning - skip the Gueze (a style) and the BelleView (a brand), try an oud bruin (style) but be aware you might not like it.

dlhamlten - glad to help . . .

Save some room for the Belgium brews! They are much better than the Dutch - even our Dutch PDs said that. Warning - skip the Gueze (a style) and the BelleView (a brand), try an oud bruin (style) but be aware you might not like it.

Thanks for the tips .... You sound like a real connoisseur while I usually like anything that comes in a Green bottle ! So many varieities - so little time.....

Thanks for the tips .... You sound like a real connoisseur while I usually like anything that comes in a Green bottle ! So many varieities - so little time.....

Just the recent experience . . . never tried the same thing twice and a couple just didn't go down well! Still, never met a beer I didn't like (well, one time maybe).

• 3 months later...
DH (CPT Trips) & I just returned from our "Springtime" river cruise with GCT on their River Concerto. We did the Brussels to Amsterdam route, with no pre- or post-extensions. We'll post a full review in a few days (too much laundry at the moment LOL). However, if anyone is going on this trip soon and has questions, we'll be happy to answer as best we can. DH has already posted with advice about Keukenhof Flower Park (beautiful).

We are getting ready to book the Amsterdam to Brussels on the Concerto for Next April with a pre trip in Amsterdam and would like to hear what your thoughts are about the ship and trip.

Thank you

The Golds...

We are getting ready to book the Amsterdam to Brussels on the Concerto for Next April with a pre trip in Amsterdam and would like to hear what your thoughts are about the ship and trip.

Thank you

The Golds...

JerseyGem's DH here.

We have been on two GCT cruises, both (by coincidence) on the Concerto. We would cruise that ship, as well as that itinerary, again in a heartbeat. That said, the deck plan and decor of all GCT ships of that design are identical.

We took the Delta Works optional tour . . . quite an engineering achievement! That was pretty much it for the optionals. We did do a couple of short excursions on our own using the local trains to get from town to town or public transit within the larger cities. We found the Program Directors to be quite helpful in providing directions for those of us venturing off on our own.

The tour to the flower auction and to Keukenhof Flower Park were awesome. The auction was well worth the early wake-up. Keukenhof was early in the season, so the flowers were not as varied as they are later in the season. One of the highlights was the home visit . . . that's a part of GCT's program that we really like.

Our visit, in March was temps right around freezing up to perhaps 50's. Rainy, snowy or misty a number of days, but also a few sunny days. Definately take layers and a waterproof outer layer! I wished for a ski cap on a couple of days and DW used her gloves.

We did this cruise in April 2005 -

Liz, we looked at your fotos thank you. When in April did you go? Also any tips you can give us about the trip would help. We have traveled with GCT before in France and they were great.

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

You have alot of interesting news about the cruise, we are going April 5, 2009. Seventh trip with GCT. Also going on NCL to the Southern Caribbean in January, and on RCL to Canada and New England in September. I us Cruise Critic for all of the trips.

Thanks again for the information.:)

Jim and Alice

• 4 weeks later...
Hi All,

You have alot of interesting news about the cruise, we are going April 5, 2009. Seventh trip with GCT. Also going on NCL to the Southern Caribbean in January, and on RCL to Canada and New England in September. I us Cruise Critic for all of the trips.

Thanks again for the information.:)

Hey Jersey, are you going Amsterdam to Brussels, think we are on the same cruise. We are taking the pre trip in Amsterdam. Also where in Jersey? Originally Paterson now in Tampa. This is our 2nd with GCT:)

Glad to hear from former New Jerseyans. We live in Old Bridge, below New Brunswick. How long have you been retired? I may be retiring in a couple of months probably after The Cruise. I need to have a knee replacement. Don't know if I can wedge it between the Cruise ending February 4th and ours on April 5th. I want to do it before retirement. Alice is 10 years younger, so she can support me. Keep in touch.

Jim and Alice

• 3 months later...
We did this cruise in April 2005 - my scrapbook is online at

http://picasaweb.google.com/prescottgal

Hi, just looked at your photos and they are great and thanks for the information that went with them. We go on April 1st board ship on the 5th.

How was the weather and temp? Worried about what to take in outer clothing...:):(

The Golds.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi The Golds,

Looking over the list of people going on our 5th of April cruise, I didn't see your names. The reason being that there are two cruises one from Bussels to Amsterdam, and one from Amsterdam to Brussels. We are on the A to B cruise. So we will be passing each. Have a great cruise and great pre-trip.:)

Jim and Alice

Archived