Lahaina car rental

mjbc

I will be arriving in Lahaina off Radiance of the Seas on Sept 23. Does anyone know of the closest car rental agency that I could just walk to rather than shuttling to the aiport? I was thinking of Hertz; there's an office at the Hyatt at 200 Nohea Kai Drive or at the West Maui Rental Center at 256 Papalaua Street. Which one is closer to the pier? (I called Hertz but the agent had no idea. Thank you.

The Papalaua location is the only one actually in Lahaina. Nohea Kai Drive is up the coast in Ka'anapali, about 10 minute's drive from the tender pier, requiring going out to the main and very busy multi-lane road, and not a walkable option. Many companies have mailing addresses in Lahaina, but they are physically in or around Ka'anapali. In fact, I believe that the Hertz on Papalaua (an easy 15 minute walk from the tender pier) is the only major car rental company location in Lahaina. The others all have locations at hotels along Ka'anapali or near the West Maui airport, about 15-20 minutes up the coast from Lahaina.

As a side note, when you say "airport," you mean the West Maui (aka Kapalua) airport, correct? I mention this because you must not under any circumstances try to book a car at the Kahului airport locations. Kahului is the primary airport for Maui, but it is nearly a 1 hour drive each way from Lahaina down and across the island. No rental companies will shuttle from Lahaina to Kahului as it's not cost effective in terms of personnel, fuel, or time. Besides, who wants to spend that much time just getting to and returning from renting a car?

If you want to walk to the rental location, you need to book the one on Papalaua.

beachchick

Hi lurvecruise

Thanks for the Hertz info. I just spoke with my TA today (she just came back from a week in Maui) and she says that we really should have a car for the 2 days so I'm planning to change my reservation. This code you have will be very handy. I was paying $37.82 for the day, inclusive of taxes, etc.

I have no idea what we are doing yet. I was originally just planning to drive around the island for the first day and then just spend the 2nd day in Lahaina but I understand there isn't a huge amount to do there; no beaches either. TA suggested driving north for one day and then south the other day.

Are you on the Radiance on Sept 16th as well?

Hertiz is quoting $88.44 (full-size) for the two days with code 1859590. You got a good deal at $66.00!

I considered the Rhapsody as well as you will be going to Hilo and the Radiance will not, but then going on the Radiance after the refurbishing was more tempting. Have a good trip.

Archived