Permission To Travel With A Minor

ScotFi

Hi

Have just recieved our tickets and information regarding our forthcoming cruise. It states if travelling with a minor and you are not the parent you require permission in writing. This has to be signed by one of the parents and a notary. Has anyone done this and are they strict on it. We are travelling with our grandson who lives in the same house as us along with his mother.

The information required includes sail date, ship confirmation of dates and permission to sign consent for treatment etc.

Thanks

Hi

Have just recieved our tickets and information regarding our forthcoming cruise. It states if travelling with a minor and you are not the parent you require permission in writing. This has to be signed by one of the parents and a notary. Has anyone done this and are they strict on it. We are travelling with our grandson who lives in the same house as us along with his mother.

The information required includes sail date, ship confirmation of dates and permission to sign consent for treatment etc.

Thanks

They are not consistent in checking this, but I would have a signed notarized copy from his mother just in case. Technically, it is a US State Dept. requirement, but they don't always check. I also recommend that you get a signed and notarized consent for medical treatment from his mom as well in case of an emergency.

Hi

Thanks

We have, 3 years ago. My son brought along his friend with us. We had both parents sign and notarize the letter of permission.

When checking in, we said we had the paperwork and the rep said "oh, that's ok, no problem"...and handed my son's friend his seapass card.

My point is BY ALL MEANS bring all necessary paperwork, even if they don't want to see it.

Happy cruising :D

We have, 3 years ago. My son brought along his friend with us. We had both parents sign and notarize the letter of permission.

When checking in, we said we had the paperwork and the rep said "oh, that's ok, no problem"...and handed my son's friend his seapass card.

My point is BY ALL MEANS bring all necessary paperwork, even if they don't want to see it.

Happy cruising :D

Hi

Am I correct in thinking his mum will have to sign it then a solicitor.

Thanks

Would you really want to risk being refused from the ship just because you did not get this letter? Every week RCI have issues with UK guests who thought they would skip this (or claimed they did not know about this) and many times the ship has sailed away with out them, from a variety of worldwide ports. So it is not just a US requirement.

So yes, do get the proper notarized letter, with all the details it requires to ensure you board the ship.

Details needed are:

Parents name, child name, your name, ship, sail date, booking reference, permission for you to authorise medical treatment, permission for you to sign waiver forms on board for rockcliming, flowrider and ice rink.

Would you really want to risk being refused from the ship just because you did not get this letter? Every week RCI have issues with UK guests who thought they would skip this (or claimed they did not know about this) and many times the ship has sailed away with out them, from a variety of worldwide ports. So it is not just a US requirement.

So yes, do get the proper notarized letter, with all the details it requires to ensure you board the ship.

Hi

I am sorry if I give the wrong impression I was intending getting the letter I was just curious. I have spoken to my lawyer who had not been involved in this in the past and I wondered exactly who should sign it etc.

Some previous posts in this subject confused me slightly. As some of them stated you required only a signed letter from the parent others state also signed by a notary. Want to make sure I get it right and sometimes RCI staff do not give correct info.

Thought some expertise on cruise critic may be more reliable.

Thanks

Don't know the rules in UK - but you shouldn't need an attorney. Type up the letter with the info mentioned above and have his mom take it to a notoary (here most banks provide it as a service to clients) and have her signature notarized.

We took my niece last year and had the same sort of letter from her parents. No problem at all, it is just protection for taking the child out of the country.

Actually this has been a requirement for a long time, most often a requirement by a foreign government. Mexico comes to mind. The purpose was to stop someone, usually a divorced father or mother taking a child out of the country.

It has only been more recent where cruise liens require this for form.

Every year my grandchildren Texas visit us in Pennsylvania. Last year we took one on the Explorer of the Seas. Agent checked permission form very closely

Here is a copy of the form

LETTER OF AGREEMENT

I ________________________________________________understand that

PARENT'S NAME

my child(ren)_______________________________________will be traveling

CHILD'S NAME

to _______________________________ on ______________________

DESTINATION DATE OF TRAVEL DEPARTURE DATE

with___________________________________________________________

ACCOMPANYING ADULT(S)

Their expected date of return is ________________________________.

Signed_________________________________________________________________

PARENT'S NAME

Address:________________________________________________________________

City/State/Zip____________________________________________________________

Telephone/Contact:________________________________________________________

Witness:________________________________________________________________

Witness Print Name:_____________________________________________

COMMONWEALTH OR STATE__________________

COUNTY OF _________________

On this _______day of _____________, 20____, before me A NOTARY PUBLIC, the undersigned officer, personally appeared __________________________

________________________________________________________________,

known to me (or satisfactorily proven) to be the person_whose name_ _ IS_ subscribed to the within instruments, and acknowledged that __he_ executed the same for the purpose therein contained.

_______________________________ NOTARY PUBLIC

Just a note, you are just as likely to need this letter when flying to and from the US before and after the cruise, so I would definitely make sure you get some kind of authorization to travel letter.

What you need is an Affidavit Of Parental Consent For Travel Of A Minor.

You can find and download one here:

http://www.globetrektravel.com/minortravelforms.pdf

Just fill it out and have it notorized and you're all set. My dance organization uses it everytime we travel outside of the country.

This form even has the Medical Section for Permission For Treatment on it also.

I am traveling with my son who will be 17. I kept calling royal caribbean and asking if I would need a letter from the absent father. The lady looked for a long time and this is what she told me. If you are the legal guardian of the child, then no you don't need a letter. However if you aren't the legal guardian of child then you would need the letter. If your daughter lives with you then you should have no problem getting the letter signed and notarized by your daughter. My co-worker just went to italy on a plane with her grandson and they never asked her for any kind of letter but it is better to be safe than sorry if you can get the letter with no problem.

I am traveling with my son who will be 17. I kept calling royal caribbean and asking if I would need a letter from the absent father. The lady looked for a long time and this is what she told me. If you are the legal guardian of the child, then no you don't need a letter. However if you aren't the legal guardian of child then you would need the letter. If your daughter lives with you then you should have no problem getting the letter signed and notarized by your daughter. My co-worker just went to italy on a plane with her grandson and they never asked her for any kind of letter but it is better to be safe than sorry if you can get the letter with no problem.

In this case, then you should be prepared to show your custody papers if asked.

When our organization travels, we make sure to plan for every and anything that RCCL OR CUSTOMS might ask for. We ask our dancers and/or their parents to have Affidavits, custody papers, and death certificates(in the case of deceased parents). We want to make sure all of our dancers get on that ship to perform. 99% of the time, no one ever asks for anything, but some of our parents have been checked on a few occasions and thank goodness they had the proper documentation.

Like you said, it is better safe than sorry.

I recently took two 17 y/o nieces to Bermuda. I had both mothers get a notarized statement. In my case, my nieces both look well over 17 and it was never asked for anywhere on the ship. However, be advised that when you get your seapasses, they definitely denote whether they are minors or not (their passes are double hole punched) so they are aware that the kids are minors.

The other thing I thought funny is that the letters (signed and notarized) said they had permission to use all facilities on the ship, including the rock climbing wall and the ice skating and in line skating rink. Yet in order to actually go ice skate or rock climb both were sent back to find the actual adult accompanying them - the letter didn't actually work there (go figure). They wanted to physically see that there was an adult responsible for both girls and watched me sign to let them participate. You only need to do that once - because they then use yet a different shape punch on their seapass for each separate venue.

Hi

I am sorry if I give the wrong impression I was intending getting the letter I was just curious. I have spoken to my lawyer who had not been involved in this in the past and I wondered exactly who should sign it etc.

Some previous posts in this subject confused me slightly. As some of them stated you required only a signed letter from the parent others state also signed by a notary. Want to make sure I get it right and sometimes RCI staff do not give correct info.

Thought some expertise on cruise critic may be more reliable.

Thanks

As you know Scots Law is different to English Law quite apart from US Law so I too would like to know who, in Scotland or the UK would be deemed qualified to notarize the form? Like you I think a lawyer would be unlikely to have been asked for this previously. Must it be a lawyer? I know how much it costs just to ask a simple question :eek: Even our doctor charges something like £35 to sign a form.

Is it likely that RCI UK would be able to advise? Our cruise is within the EU, not the US but I would hate to have the incorrect paperwork and be refused boarding.

Hi

Thanks

It is required. They may not ask for it...but if they do, and you don't have it, you will be delayed while they question you, question the child and confirm the information you and the child give them by telephone and law enforcement.

This is to prevent child abduction. It is a good thing. If his mother lives with you it's easy to do.

Also a good idea to have permission from mom to make medical decisions for the child and a copy of the health insurance card.

I've been taking my grandson on a cruise once a years since he was 8. He's 17 now. 3 times I've been asked for the information. Another 2 times, he was questioned carefully.

Better to be prepared.

Hi

Thanks

I took my son's friend with us from here in Scotland to Miami for Freedom cruise and yes his parents got the permission letter notarized.

To find out who your local Notarys are, you can call into your local Council Service Point and they will provide you with a list of them.

What Albert Ross posted is correct (as usual AR):D

My mother went on DCL twice but with different grandchildren. The first time I was with her. I was booked in a room with my sons, and my mother and my daughter were booked in a connecting room. While I was told by my T/A my daughter didn't need concent papers because I was on the cruise, it was a different situation when we were there. I had to fill out a consent form when we checked in. Good thing I was going on the cruise and there was a notary there. Oh yeah, my mother lives in the same house as me and my kids too.

The nest time my mother took my neice, she had the consent form and they never asked. better safe than sorry. get the papers

First: If you have a passport, you either have previously received something from the other parent, or you have sole LEGAL custody.

Second: If you have the passport, you still need to prove that you have SOLE LEGAL CUSTODY or, in the alternative, you need NOTARIZED consent from the other parent. The form copied and pasted by TWELVEOHONE is a good starting point, but I would add the phrase "and I consent that (insert name of adult traveling with (insert name of child) is authorized to remove said child for purposes of the above mentioned travel.

This entire area is evolving, BUT becoming more strictly enforced. Any prior incidents you hear about prior travels without the other parent's consent are rapidly becoming ancient history. I have even heard about incidents where SOLE LEGAL CUSTODIAL PARENTS are denied exit if they don't have consent from the non-custodial parent. The area is still evolving. BE SAFE. DON'T LET YOUR TRAVEL BE DELAYED. Get written consent from the other parent or take a court document WITH A RAISED SEAL that gives you SOLE LEGAL CUSTODY to the airport. Get there an hour earlier to deal with any headaches. You may have to speak to a supervisor, but if you have all the requirements, you will get through.

BTW, having a consent to autorize medical care is an EXCELLENT suggestion.

I have traveled with several other children and I have always made it through, but I had all necessary documents, NOTARIZED.

As you know Scots Law is different to English Law quite apart from US Law so I too would like to know who, in Scotland or the UK would be deemed qualified to notarize the form? Like you I think a lawyer would be unlikely to have been asked for this previously. Must it be a lawyer? I know how much it costs just to ask a simple question :eek: Even our doctor charges something like £35 to sign a form.

Is it likely that RCI UK would be able to advise? Our cruise is within the EU, not the US but I would hate to have the incorrect paperwork and be refused boarding.

Hi

I believe it is a notary some are attached to lawyers offfices in Scotland and do charge. Once I find out I will post the cost.

A work mate has just told me she was booked on a med cruise with RCI last month. She had a terrible time getting her duaghter on board. This was due to her being remarried and her daughter still having her fathers name.

Luckily after many tears they were allowed to board. She was unaware of any requirement for extra paper work.

Scotfi

Last Easter I took six girls three under 18 on a spring break cruise. I had consent forms for all of them just in case. Also forms giving me permission to authorize medical treatment. Attached to the medical form was a list of any medications they may being taken.

I figure it is better to have every piece of paper they might ask for then be standing there watching the ship sail without us!

I cruise with my two kids, my sister, but leave my husband at home. I take the form signed by my spouse authorizing my kids to travel with both myself and my sister, and a form giving us both authority to seek medical attention. May not need it, but in the event I did, I have it.

Actually this has been a requirement for a long time, most often a requirement by a foreign government. Mexico comes to mind. The purpose was to stop someone, usually a divorced father or mother taking a child out of the country.

They no longer require a parent to have the form. It is only if the minor is traveling with someone other than their mother or their father. If they are traveling with one parent, the form is no longer required. I am sure this varies from cruise line to cruise line; however, it is no longer in RCCL's cruise contract.

We just did this last month. Our son brought along a friend. We had to fill out a form. Have his parents sign it and get it notorized. This friend is also is from another country. So we had his green card, passport and this letter with us. They checked everything and we did not have any problems.

Archived