Parking near Kahului pier while on POA

brrrdog

We're renting a car in the evening so that we can see the sunrise on Haleakala and then explore the park. It's cheaper and more convenient (in terms of getting up in the early hours) to rent the car by 9pm. However, where can we park near the boat. I've read the pier us usually packed.

I can only speak to the week we were there (Feb 24)and did not have a problem. We rented for two days in Maui. On day 1 (Sunday) arrived back at ship at 7 pm and no problem. About 15 spots available. I am told there is a second lot a little distance away. When we rented we had intended on doing the sunrise ride but didn't :(

We just got back from our cruise. We rented a car both days. We got back to the pier by 4 p.m. the first day and there were no spaces left in the lot. It is very small. The second lot was not far away- but the security guard did not give good instructions so it took us a while to find it. Once we found it- we saw how easy it was. You just go back to the main road, take a right, and park behind the Railroad building. It doesn't look like that is where you are supposed to park, but you will see the signs on the gate that say "Pedestrian Walkway." Then it's a very short walk (5-10 mins) along the pathway to the pier. Not bad at all. We had no problems once we found it.

We had no problem finding parking in the lot by the ship, but we were back by 5:30 PM. I have also read that many people park in the ancillary lot without issues. Just be sure to park somewhere where someone can't pull in behind you and block you in.

• 4 weeks later...
We just got back from our cruise. We rented a car both days. We got back to the pier by 4 p.m. the first day and there were no spaces left in the lot. It is very small. The second lot was not far away- but the security guard did not give good instructions so it took us a while to find it. Once we found it- we saw how easy it was. You just go back to the main road, take a right, and park behind the Railroad building. It doesn't look like that is where you are supposed to park, but you will see the signs on the gate that say "Pedestrian Walkway." Then it's a very short walk (5-10 mins) along the pathway to the pier. Not bad at all. We had no problems once we found it.

This was pretty much spot on. Security guard directed us to the brown office building. "Office building" was a little bit misleading since it's a small single story structure that looks like something that would be more like the front office for a prison :). However, by the time we got there there were already dozens of cars parked there so it was easy to find. The pedestrian walkway from the pier basically ends at this lot so that made it even easier. Thanks to all.

Because this thread is related to transportation, I thought I should also mention that the Maui bus system is also very good. We used the #10 to go south to the boat launch to catch a snorkel tour of the molokini crater at the boat launch (http://binged.it/ZZxKKs). That route stops near several beaches on the way. When we got back we walked a little bit north up the road, did some shopping, and then jumped back on the bus to the salvation army stop and then took the #35 one stop to the airport to pick up the rental. The salvation army stop is half the distance (less than a mile) to the pier compared to the queen ka'ahumanu mall stop. 4 bucks lets you ride all day.

Archived