Tip or not to tip porters at pier?

I read in another thread, not to tip the porters at the pier. 2 years ago they were very good helping us with the luggage, we gave them a couple of dollars for each bag that they handled.

Should I have no tipped them?

I have always understood that you tip a porter, a buck a bag at least. At the Dallas Airport (DFW) they started charging a fee of $2 per bag checked this past December. The fee does not go to the Porter. You are still expected to tip. This is a trial going on at @ 5 airports nationwide, but I'm sure it will be coming to all airports soon and become a permanent fee. I would think a porter at the pier deserves a tip as much as one at an airport. Porters are like waiters, their real earnings come in the form of tips

When we sailed from FLL there was a couple of big signs that said NOT to tip the porters. I didn't care and tipped $1 per bag anyway. I almost always tip someone who's handling my baggage. The exception being if I check in at the desk at the airport. If I'm usuing curb side check in, I then I tip for the convenience of skipping the big lines inside and having them handle my baggage.

Tips are to insurse prompt/proper service...I am giving these people my personal bags...I would like them to handle them as well as is possible...and not have an attitude that I am a cheap person...I tip. I think it is the correct thing to do...and I'm not taking any chances.

I have always believed, and experienced (years with an incentive travel company) that the "%" of delivered bags increases dramatically with the tip provided the porters.

I agree wholeheartedly, last year in Miami I tipped $10.00 for 3 bags and the porter said to me "have a great cruise and don't worry about your luggage" :)

We always tip the porter and not just for safe handeling and delivery of our luggage, but also because they really do not make any money. We just got off the SOS on 3/24 and when we arrived at the pier we handed the porter 20.00 for all of our luggage {for 6 of us} we had our luggage at our room before we mnade it to our room!!!! Anyway, when you are spending all this money for a cruise, whats a few more dollars to those carrying your bags???

I belive this issue has come up many times and I think they are members of the longshoremen or something like that and do make pretty good money. All they really do is transport your bag to a container which is then moved be forklift into the ship, they dont control when or how your bag gets to the cabin, that is up to the members of the ships party.

It is a bit of a scam, however, most of us feel that if we dont tip, then the bags stand a better chance of swimming the water before we do.

Pete

When we sailed from FLL there was a couple of big signs that said NOT to tip the porters.

There was a similar sign at the pier in Vancouver (on a Princess cruise). Hubby offered a tip anyway, but the guy wouldn't take it. (Our luggage made it to our room promptly.)

Many years ago I worked as a bellman. A nice hotel for a small city. Tips were a major part of my income. I since have moved on, have a wonderful career! I believe in tipping a dollar a bag or more. This is sole income, and they rely on our tips to provide for themselves, and family members.

Many years ago I worked as a bellman. A nice hotel for a small city. Tips were a major part of my income. I since have moved on, have a wonderful career! I believe in tipping a dollar a bag or more. This is sole income, and they rely on our tips to provide for themselves, and family members.

DID THEY HAVE DO NOT TIP SIGNS ALL OVER?

When we got off the Explorer 2 weeks ago, we had the greatest porter help us. There were 10 of us in our group waiting for luggage. As usual it took quite a bit of time. He stayed and waited with us while we waited and waited and waited for all of our luggage to finally come out (this is the worst part of getting off a ship, would rather walk out in a huge room and look for it). Anyways, he could have easily helped several others get their luggage to cabs, bus or whatever. We made sure he had a hefty tip when we did get it all and made our way to our rental car pick up. Sure do wish I would have remembered his badge number!

We always tip when arriving for boarding, but handle our own bags when we disembark. I worry the bags may not make it if we don't (why, I don't know :rolleyes: ). We don't really have any other choice when we are embarking, they don't allow us to take our own bags to the bins.

The luggage is only loaded into bins that are then loaded onto the ship, the porters (longshoremen) don't deliver the bags to the rooms, the ship personnel do. So, they are lying to you when they say they will make sure your bags get delivered promptly.

The last time I used a porter at disembarkation, I tipped extra so he would help my husband put the bags into the trunk of our car. The guy not only ignored my request, he literally dumped our nice luggage off the curb and it fell over into the street and he just walked off. It doesn't make for pleasant memories nor does it make me ever want to use their services again.

Archived