Beer Options

smiley1219

Does anybody have a picture of the drink menu on the Westerdam or know what types of beer are sold (brand/glass bottle/can/plastic bottle)? We've never sailed on HA but in the past have enjoyed buckets of beer by the pool on sea days.

We were on the Westerdam for 2 weeks in late January and the beginnignof February (Superbowl Sunday). If I can remember i belive that there was Heineken, Grolsch, Stella Artois (I bought a bucket of it Superbowl Sunday) as well as Amstel. As for U.S. beers I think most popular U.S. brands are available but I am not a big fan of them. No Canadian :( beers on our Caribbean trip. also when we did the Caribbean in 2006 Red Stripe and Corona were sold. The beers I purchased were mostly in glass bottles although most of the U.S. beers were sold in cans. Have a great trip.

I continue to think the beer choices on HAL are just not very good. We have great micro brews in Seattle and other then the Alaska cruise season when they offer Alaska Amber, which is really very good, the choices are not great. I really wish that they would expand not only the beer choices but I still think that the wine list is very limited when compared to Celebrity. Just so you know, HAL is my line of choice but I still think that the beer and wine list is better on Celebrity. Hey...HAL, time to upgrade!!

Wendy

I agree wholeheartedly with Midge ... maybe we're spoiled with the availability of good beer here in Seattle, but I find HAL's list to be very weak. Hubby drank the Grolsch on our recent cruise, but it's definitely not his beer of choice. Me, I just drank Mojitos :D

We have great micro brews in Seattle and other then the Alaska cruise season when they offer Alaska Amber, which is really very good, the choices are not great.

Can you recommend a good brew pub in Seattle to eat at with the family? We plan on staying near the port area. My husband's taste tend toward the darker side, so someone that makes a good amber, porter or stout would be great.

I'm not Midge, but I also live in Seattle and like beer :rolleyes:

You can try Pyramid Alehouse on First Avenue across from Safeco Field, or Elysian Fields, also on First, across from Qwest Field. Both are good beer/decent food (better food at Elysian) and in the Pioneer Square area, near the HAL pier. In the more core area of downtown, you have Pike Place Brewing at the far south end of Pike Place Market ... decent beer and good food.

Oh, also most restaurants around here carry good local brews ... ALWAYS ask what they've got local on tap when you order. Your hubby will be a happy man!

We like drinking beer out of a bottle - plastic or glass. Does HA let you keep the glass bottle on the pool deck or do they pour it into a cup? Do they offer plastic or metal bottles?

I think the only bottles you'll find are glass ones. I've grabbed the bottle and said, "that's fine, thanks". The best way to ensure you get your bottle is to order a "bucket of beer" (4), which come iced. Ask the bartender not to open them all for you, if you want to sip slowly.

• Administrators

Well, I haven't sailed yet, so don't know what they actually offer on board. But I'm a beer gal (sue me, I'm a heathen ;)) so I was interested in what we could purchase for our cabin. The answer (on the website and by phone) was: Bud, Bud Light, Grolsch, and Amstel Light. No Michelob, Mich Amber, Guiness, Stella -- all at least per the phone rep.

I can't imagine why they'd have Bud and not Mich (both Anheuser products), but we'll see what's actually there when we board. For now I've ordered one six pack of Amstel Light and suspended judgment. :)

I know my husband drank Labatt Blue on our cruise last year.

Which cruise and ship? I've never seen it offered... though I know "sometimes" HAL will offer a local beer, but not often and not in the Caribbean when we've cruised.

Here's the list:

Budweiser (can)

Bud Light (can)

Miller Light (can)

Miller Genuine Draft (can)

Heineken (can)

Grolsch (bottle)

Corona (bottle) usually available - but not always

Sharps - non alcoholic (can)

A bucket gives you one free - I think it's buy 4 or 5 and get one free (or maybe it's just discounted now)... I'd ask hubby but he is out walking the dog.

Oh, and you can also take the unopened ones to the cabin, which is what DH does and puts them in the fridge. He likes to have afew on the verandah.

Archived