Need help with shore excursions, please

psklak

DH and I will be cruising in 9/07 on the Carnival Spirit. First some backround - We are late fifties, not in the best shape and not overly adventurous. On prior cruise, we have generally taken ship's excursions, mostly for the insurance of being back on the ship and, frankly, we're too lazy to go off on our own. We also prefer not to do full day tours, wanting to spend some times on an almost empty ship.

However, after reading these boards, we've decided that Hawaii would be a wonderful place to start to explore on our own (with a few exceptions)

At Hilo, we would like to do Volcano National Park with emphasis on the Crater Rim circle. Based on what I am reading, it looks like about a 40 minutes drive to the park entrance and the rim is about a 12 mile drive around. Is this correct? If yes, can it be done in a long morning drive, factoring in stops for viewing (yes, and shopping). We would like to spend the afternoon back near the ship.

Basically, is it doable and easy? Most people recommend Thrifty car rental. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Aloha. Yes, it is easy to do VNP on your own. Renting a car in Hilo (at the airport) is a snap. We were in and out in less than 15 minutes (including doing the pre-rent damage check).

You could do VNP as a long morning trip if you get off the ship first thing and get going. It is about 45 minutes to the entrance to the park. If you're not planning on driving down Chain of Craters Rd., then I think you should plan on spending a bare minimum of 3 hours (4 is better) doing Crater Rim Dr. The Visitor's Center is a must stop, as are the vents. The museum is well worth a bit of time. Halemaumau is an absolute must stop, and do take the small trail to the overlook. (Don't worry--nothing agressive about the walk and it's pretty short. The view is soooo worth it. Look to your right as you walk and you will see offerings to the goddess.) Kilauea Iki is a must stop. I think the Devastation Trail (easy walk, HC accessible even; 1 mile r/t) is really interesting. Thurston Lava Tube, well of course you've heard of that. Do walk through the easy lighted portion, but skip the branch where you need your own flashlight. There are numerous other spots where it is worth stopping for a bit just to take it all in. And of course, you must stop at Volcano House (not at lunch time--that's when the tour buses are there, zoo time). Go through the lobby and see the longest burning fire, which is watched over by a carved frieze (sp?) of Madam Pele herself. There are two shops. One is the typical (and fun) small gift shop. The other has more "upscale" items. Stop in the cafe area for a snack and/or beverage and find a seat by the windows which are practically on the edge of the crater. Talk about your good view! Then walk out the back door of the building and walk along the rim trail a bit (also easy at the parts near Volcano House). There are several plaques with history and other interesting information (such as Mark Twain's description of his visit). Plan at least 30 minutes for Volcano House, preferably longer if you're going to wander around the rim a bit--and you should.

There is so much to see and experience that, IMO it is not worth going just to rush around the rim and leave. (I've become a bit of a nag on the issue, but I truly feel that VNP is worth the time to truly "see" it. There's nothing else like it anywhere.)

So, let me guestimate. If you are on the road to VNP by 8:30, you'll be at the entrance about 9:15. (Don't forget it's a national park and has an entry fee, unless you have the Golden Eagle or Golden Access pass.) If you do the Visitor's Center and Volcano House first (in order to avoid the lunch crowd), you could leave for your "loop" drive around 10:15 (or a bit earlier depending on how much shopping you do). Plan on 2 to 2-1/2 hours to do Crater Rim Dr. itself. This would get you on the road back to Hilo between 12:30 and 1:00 pm. You'd be back in Hilo at about 1:45 (and perhaps earlier). Is that workable for you? Of course, if your ship docks earlier, then you could get an even earlier start. If that's too late for your preference, then you could skip some of the smaller stops on Crater Rim Dr. At a minimum, you should plan on 5 hours r/t from Hilo. If you're willing to stay longer, then by all means do because, unlike waterfalls and beaches, there isn't another VNP lurking around the corner (so to speak).

Hope that helps a bit. (And good for you for venturing out on your own.)

beachchick

Beachchick, you're phenomenal! On a previously asked question, you also provided great advice and now you come through again.

We have previously been to Hawaii and saw most of the main sights. This was 10 years ago. We have just looked at the pictures and can't believe how beautiful it was then. I'm sure we'll appreciate it even more now.

Based on your post, I'm sure we'll do VNP on our own and spend 5-6 hours at a minimum just wandering and enjoying ourselves.

Thanks again - cruisin' aunt

cruisin' aunt: Mahalo so very much for your nice words. I guess it's pretty obvious that DH and I are Hawaii "enthusiasts." In my case, it's all his fault because he took me on my first trip to Hawaii many years ago now, and I've become a junkie. (DH used to work in the islands several weeks a year, but before he met me--darn it!)

I think you'll have a great time at VNP. It is so nice to be able to set your own schedule.

BTW, I should have said to look to your left when walking down to the Halemaumau overlook. Duh.

beachchick

Archived