Hilo - i Need Help!!

sunbathingbeachbum

I am leaving on 5/5 setting sail on POA. I am completely lost on how to plan for Hilo. We have rented a car for the day, but have also chosen to do a helicopter tour (Circle of Fire) at 2:00 through NCL. Do we have enough time to pick up the rental car, drive to VNP, maybe see a waterfall, return the car and then make it to our tour on time? How long does it take to get to VNP? What should we see there? I feel like VNP is a "can't miss", but I also do not want to be rushed and miss our helicopter tour. Any thoughts?

Can't really help you on time. Did a bus tour to VNP. You really need to go there. Did not take that long to get there. Stopped at the crater, lava tube, took a short hiking trail, Visitor center. If you leave early you should be able to do this. The tour also did lunch at the visitor center, then to the Macadamia (sp.) nut factory, and to the falls. Seems like we did all this and was back by 2 or 3. This was in June and don't really remember times that well.

If you get off the ship immediately when it docks, get on the first shuttle to the rental car place, and get out of the lot quickly, you should have time to do the VNP. It takes about 20 minutes to get there, and of course, the real fun is driving around. There is a lot to see. Don't miss the visitor center and if possible, get to the fire pit where they have the sacrifices to Pele. It's a very good opportunity to pick up some cultural history of Hawaii.

Once you're done, you can zip over to Akaka Falls (takes about 25 minutes to walk the trail and see both waterfalls) and then zip back over to the ship.

Good luck. VNP is not to be missed.

If you get off the ship immediately when it docks, get on the first shuttle to the rental car place, and get out of the lot quickly, you should have time to do the VNP. It takes about 20 minutes to get there, and of course, the real fun is driving around. There is a lot to see. Don't miss the visitor center and if possible, get to the fire pit where they have the sacrifices to Pele. It's a very good opportunity to pick up some cultural history of Hawaii.

Once you're done, you can zip over to Akaka Falls (takes about 25 minutes to walk the trail and see both waterfalls) and then zip back over to the ship.

Good luck. VNP is not to be missed.

It's actually about 40 minutes one-way from Hilo to the entrance to VNP. In flat distance, it's 30 miles, but not all of those miles will be at "freeway" speed. That time needs to be considered.

sunbathingbeachbum: I think you'll be pushing it. If you get off the ship ASAP, get on a rental car shuttle right away, and there's not a long line at the rental car location, then you will have ample time to drive to VNP, do some sightseeing, and drive back. You'll really have to watch the time and be flexible about waterfalls. You may not have time to do both VNP and a waterfall because you need to leave about 80 to 90 minutes of the day just to driving to and from VNP.

Although the driving is easy, I think it's being very generous to say that you can "zip" from place to place. This is not speed driving. Akaka Falls is almost 15 miles north of Hilo, so you'd have to add another 40 to 45 minutes r/t driving time to do that (just driving; not seeing the falls). Rainbow Falls is much closer to Hilo, but I don't know how easy it is to get to (walking-wise).

To go to VNP and Akaka, you're looking at more than 2 hours just driving from place to place--assuming that you don't hit construction, accidents, or traffic. (Not trying to be a wet blanket, but you've got to take these things into consideration.)

Just stay flexible and you should be fine. Be sure to sign up for whatever "expess" service might be offered by the car rental company (such as Blue Chip for Thrifty). That usually helps expedite the rental process.

beachchick

It's actually about 40 minutes one-way from Hilo to the entrance to VNP. In flat distance, it's 30 miles, but not all of those miles will be at "freeway" speed. That time needs to be considered.

I'd even plan for 60 minutes with traffic lights and the unexpected. Took us 60 to get to VNP and 40 to get back.

I would agree with everyone that trying to drive to VNP is pushing it. You are getting to see it from the air though aren't you?

We were there 4/13...and our port time had been cut short by 2 hours (Infinity), so I'll start by saying we had a shorter than normal stop. We were off the ship by 9:30ish and Dollar shuttle driver was right inside the terminal - in the shuttle to get the car - VERY efficient, and we were in the car and on our way by 10:30 at the latest. Headed straight to VNP and through the rain and those ugly plastic ponchos ;) we began our time there. We soon decided that we didn't want to rush VNP to do the falls, etc...and we had to be back at the rental car place at the airport at 3:45 to make the 4:45 ship time. We spent the whole time at VNP, about 20 min at Volcano Winery and the rest driving back. BE PREPARED for traffic, and we had to wait in line to pump gas! We were sweating it, but we arrived at the Dollar place at 3:46...and then freaked out waiting for the shuttle until nearly 4:10. Too close for comfort. Yes, we made it and weren't at the very end of the line to get back on the ship...but again - too close for comfort. DON'T miss VNP! Be prepared that they don't sell food once you get down near the ocean side of the park. Reasonable water prices...but we were starved when we got back on the ship, as we hadn't eaten since breakfast. Take a snack. Enjoy!

My wife and I made that mistake on our cruise, first gaff, when we rented the car they wanted way more for me to drive also and Cat likes to drive so we left it with her only. The brief time we were driving and exploring together was the best time we had. We literaly had to double time it thru the falls and run back to the jeep to get her to the dock for the helo shuttle. I didn't want to do the circle of fire and so off she went and then I went "doh" I can't drive the jeep as we omited me lol. So I hung out out at the pool bar aboard until she got back about five. What a mistake. We are going back in Nov and this time armed with knowledge :)

We are just renting a jeep and have a "Kuai Revealed and Big Island Revealed" book for a treasure map. Whatever you decide I hope you have the best time ever. As for us, trying to pack in too much really defeated the whole point of going there to get away from here.

Archived