How long does it take to visit Volcano National Park?

MommyLauri

We are leaving on the POH in six days! I am so excited that I can't sleep! I am doing some last minute rental car planning. Our first stop at 8:00 is in Hilo. I have the rental car reserved for 8:00 a.m. We were then going to Volcano National Park. However, I wanted to possibly change the car reservations to 10:00 and not have to get up so early that first morning. My only concern is that we won't have enough time at the park or not get back to the ship in time. Does anyone know how much time we should allow for visiting the park? Would we be able to see enough and make it back to the ship? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Keep your 8 am reservation if possible - I spent two nights at Volcano House a few years ago and it was not enough time to see everything. I have an NCL cruise scheduled in Aug and we will try to get our rental car as early as possible.

If you just want to do Crater Rim Drive the 10 am start time will be OK but if you want to go down the Chain of Craters Road and hike out onto the lava you will definitely want to start early. There are so many relatively easy hikes in the park (Thurston Lava Tube, Pu'u Loa Petroglyphs, etc.). You would want to have some time to explore. Also there is a Museum, Visitor's Center, and the Volcano House Hotel is worth a stop.

Enjoy your trip!!

Pat

I'll agree. Keep the 8am time. How often in your life do you get to explore an active volcano? You can sleep when you get home.

Our last Trip to Hawaii, we had a car and took the Crater Rim Rd and it took us a good 2 hrs to complete the circle and stop and take pictures. I have to admit, that was a long time ago and have no idea what is accessible now or not. We are on a Cruise Oct 2008 RT out of San Diego on the Radiance and can't wait.

I'm going 2 weeks after you, so I've been reading everything I can about this. From what listed here and a few other places.. KEEP the reservation! It would appear to be a tendered port, so you are going to loose time there. Massive crowds of people, all trying to get their rental cars then return them, will also slow you down.

The park is about 30 miles from the pier, so that's an easy hour used.

Just go to bed an hour early, have room service bring LOTS of coffee for breakfast and go for it.

Also look at the bright side... if you miss the ship, you can just drive across the island and meet it in the morning. The car rental only charges and extra $50. ;-) Not that I'm suggesting it, but any time I plan to do 'my own thing', I research worse case... :eek:

I'm going 2 weeks after you, so I've been reading everything I can about this. From what listed here and a few other places.. KEEP the reservation! It would appear to be a tendered port, so you are going to loose time there. Massive crowds of people, all trying to get their rental cars then return them, will also slow you down.

Hilo isn't a tender port -- Kona is -- at least for the POH.

Our last Trip to Hawaii, we had a car and took the Crater Rim Rd and it took us a good 2 hrs to complete the circle and stop and take pictures. I have to admit, that was a long time ago and have no idea what is accessible now or not. We are on a Cruise Oct 2008 RT out of San Diego on the Radiance and can't wait.

Personally, I would consider 2 hours for Crater Rim Dr. to be a bare minimum--and in fact, not long enough if you include enough time at the museum, visitor's center, and Volcano House (a must see, IMO). We'd give Crater Rim 3 hours and then add another 1-1/2 just for the drive down and back on Chain of Craters. If you want to stop along the way or at the end of the road, add an hour; if you want to hike out to the current flow (depending on where it is and how accessible), add anywhere from 2 to 5 hours more.

Driving time to/from Hilo: 1-1/2 to 2 hours round-trip

Crater Rim Dr.: 2-1/2 to 3 hours

Chain of Craters drive: 1-1/2 hours round-trip

Sightseeing along Chain of Craters and at the end of the road: 1 hour or so

Hiking out to the lava (wear long pants and sturdy shoes, bring plenty of water, and don't try it if you have serious health difficulties): 2 to 5 hours (depending)

Minimum total time to really "do it right" (including drive to/from Hilo, but excluding lava hike): 7 to 8 hours

As always, JMHO.

beachchick

Hi Beachchick,

Would love to see Lava flow...but won't be able to do it. Want to go to museum, Thurston Lava Tube, and Devastation Trail (is this off of Chain of Craters Road?)

Would you recommend taking the drive down Chain of Craters Road.....or use the extra time to see Akaka and Rainbow Falls?

Hi Beachchick,

Would love to see Lava flow...but won't be able to do it. Want to go to museum, Thurston Lava Tube, and Devastation Trail (is this off of Chain of Craters Road?)

Would you recommend taking the drive down Chain of Craters Road.....or use the extra time to see Akaka and Rainbow Falls?

We spent the intire day with the drive to the Volcano, Thurston Lava tube, Trail and trip back out along Crater rim Road, stopping many times to take pictures. We did the Falls another day. However we were on the island for 3 days.

You all have convinced me to keep my 8:00 am reservations. I guess that I didn't realize that there is that much to see at VNP. I was just trying to not have to wake up so early every morning of the cruise. All of our excursions are in the morning, consequently, I just wanted one morning to sleep in! I guess I need to enjoy every waking minute of this vacation! Thanks again for the input!

Hi Beachchick,

Yes, absolutely! The waterfalls are lovely, but there are other waterfalls in Hawaii. There is only one VNP. The drive down Chain of Craters Rd is fascinating, IMO. You'll be driving through old lava flows and can really see what it does and then how the land adapts. Plus it's kind of cool that when you get to "the end of the road" it really is the end of the road because that's where another flow went through. You might be able to see the steam plume where lava is entering the ocean. We did, but there are no guarantees from day to day as to where or how much will be flowing.

beachchick

You all have convinced me to keep my 8:00 am reservations. I guess that I didn't realize that there is that much to see at VNP. I was just trying to not have to wake up so early every morning of the cruise. All of our excursions are in the morning, consequently, I just wanted one morning to sleep in! I guess I need to enjoy every waking minute of this vacation! Thanks again for the input!

http://www.nps.gov/archive/havo/images/lava_20060620_view.pdf

One to 3 Hour Visit?

If you have only one to three hours, explore the summit of Kilauea volcano via Crater Rim Drive; an 11-mile road that encircles the summit caldera, passes through desert, lush tropical rain forest, traverses the caldera floor, and provides access to well-marked scenic stops and short walks.

Four to 5 Hour Visit?

If you have four to five hours, you may also explore the East Rift and coastal area of the Park via Chain of Craters Road. This road descends 3,700 feet in 20 miles and ends where a 2003 lava flow crossed the road. Depending on changing volcanic activity, there may be opportunities for viewing active lava flows from the end of the road. No food, water, or fuel is available along the Chain of Craters Road.

lava_ebell_20050304_x285.jpg

It was a long time ago we were on the Island, but wondered are you able to go all the way on the road with the new lava flow that has now occurred. We followed it from the observtory down to the Ocean and back to where we were staying.

I want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly. You are saying that you took Chain of Craters all the way through and up 130 (the "full" circle and along the ocean) without any "doubling back" the way you came? If so, no you can't do that because the 1986 to 1992 flow destroyed the town of Kalapana and the Royal Gardens subdivision; the 1992 to 1997 flow went over Chain of Craters/130 toward the west in a couple of areas; the 1999 to today flow went over the rest of the road between Kalapana and the 1992-1997 flow.

So, when you come to the end of Chain of Craters Rd. today, you're at the end of the road because what's beyond has been destroyed.

beachchick

Archived