Volcanoes National Park and Black Sand Beach

Crusinman29

Hello Everyone! I am trying to plan out my day in Hilo for my upcoming cruise(yes, I am Mr. Organization when it comes to vacation). We are visiting VNP and Punulua Beach (? on spelling). Trying to determine what hot spots I should hit while in VPN that will capture most of the park (lava flow, etc.) before heading off to the beach.

Thanks in advance for the information :D

We recommend visiting the Thurston Lava tube. This trip we took flashlights and explored the "extra" section of the tube. That was cool! Don't miss the Kilauea Iki Overlook--we missed that the first time we were there. The view is amazing! We hiked the trail from the overlook to the Lava tube--which, by the way, brings you right to the parking lot for the lava tube. (So if you're cruched for time, just drive to it!) If we'd had more time we would have taken the hike out across the crater itself. Crater rim drive is pretty simple--just a few places to stop and take a peak at craters and steam vents. We didn't go into the visitor center at all.

Do go into Volcano House and see the view from there. We like the Visitor Center - it really gives you a good idea of what to expect. Dh likes to walk across from Volcano House to Kilauaia (sp?) where I pick him up. It's better to do this walk with 2 or more people. And if anyone in your group is over 55, have them bring their Golden Age Passport to get in free (works in Kona at the Place of Refuge too). Nancy

Crusinman29 - I asked this same question on the board a few weeks back and got some great info. We are planning on doing the same thing. Here's our plan for our day in Hilo on the PoH.

Pick up Thrifty Rental - between 8 and 8:30

Drive to Punalu'u Black Sand Beach (~1.5 hours) via HI-11

Drive back to Volcano National Park (~45 mins) via HI-11

Grab lunch somewhere in Volcano, go to the Volcano House and walk all the way out back to the balcony lookout. Thurston Lava Tube (take the right trail down, makes an easier walk back), stop to see sights around Crater Rim Dr-Halemaumau, devastation trail, take a hike (Kilauea Iki)

We are planning on leaving VNP by 2:30, so we can get back to do a few other things near town. If you plan on staying at VNP longer, you could probably fit more in.

Aloha - have a great trip!

We recommend visiting the Thurston Lava tube. This trip we took flashlights and explored the "extra" section of the tube. That was cool! Don't miss the Kilauea Iki Overlook--we missed that the first time we were there. The view is amazing! We hiked the trail from the overlook to the Lava tube--which, by the way, brings you right to the parking lot for the lava tube. (So if you're cruched for time, just drive to it!) If we'd had more time we would have taken the hike out across the crater itself. Crater rim drive is pretty simple--just a few places to stop and take a peak at craters and steam vents. We didn't go into the visitor center at all.
I second this, the overlook was beautiful and we loved the Thurston Lava Tube! We actually did Richardson beach for our black sand beach as it was closer and gave us more time to do other things.

The black sand beach is lovely that you plan to go to--large and can drive right up.

Also--go around the VNP clockwise rather than counterclockwise. Most of the parking will be on your right instead of your left and if you get to the visitor center the same time as the tour buses you will be going in the opposite direction.

Pat

The black sand beach is lovely that you plan to go to--large and can drive right up.

Also--go around the VNP clockwise rather than counterclockwise. Most of the parking will be on your right instead of your left and if you get to the visitor center the same time as the tour buses you will be going in the opposite direction.

Pat

Pat, which beach are you referring to? The one I mentioned Punalu'u Black Sand Beach or the one that CruiseMob mentionted Richardson beach? CruiseMob said that Richardson was closer and I'm all for that if it is as nice as Punalu'u.

Appreciate your opinion.

Aloha!

Vicki

We had our rental car and were on the road before 9:30am. We went to VNP first, including the lava tube, then we went to Punalu'u. We headed back to town to Akaka Falls then to Hilo Hatties and gassed the rental car up and were back to the ship before 5:00. Have fun! :)

We had our rental car and were on the road before 9:30am. We went to VNP first, including the lava tube, then we went to Punalu'u. We headed back to town to Akaka Falls then to Hilo Hatties and gassed the rental car up and were back to the ship before 5:00. Have fun! :)

Wow Coolcruise02, you did what I was originally planning on doing, but was told it was too much. Did you feel rushed or under "pressure"? How long did you stay at VNP? We were going to try to get started by 8:30 (in the car and on our way), go straight through to Punalu'u first and then back to VNP and the back into Hilo. I'd really like to get up to Akaka Falls and still stop at Hilo Hatties - but many said that was pushing it and we wouldn't have time. If you can, let me know your time-table and I'll see if that is workable for us.

I did some reseach on Richardson Ocean Park and that looks lovely and only about 15 mins from the airport/port - so that may be an other option for us.

Mahalo and Aloha!

Vicki

Yes, I know all about the people trying to tell you "your doing too much"! Well, what they don't tell you is THEIR, age, stress levels, athletic ability, what month they were there, etc.

I do like your idea of going to Punalu'u first and then just working your way back to town. It would be real easy to keep good track of your time and how much more you wanted to do.

I can't remember the times exactly, but we stopped at every outlook, the Volcano House

and went into the lava tube and got to Punalu'u beach around noon. We ate there, watched lots of turtles and big waves for about an hour. Then we drove back to town, stopped at Hilo Hatties for 30-45 min (on the main street) and went on to Akaka Falls, made the circle around both falls then went back to town and filled up the gas tank and returned the rental car at 4:45. When we got back to the pier before 5:00 there was a loooooooong line for security. (5:30 was our return time for a 6:00 sailing)

The airport is very close to the pier and gas stations are close. We saved Akaka falls to last giving ourselves an hour to go there. If time was an issue we would have skipped it and just returned to the pier as you have to go right by it. But, we did not feel rushed and had a great day.

We are in our early 50's and good physical shape. We were there on a weekday in December.

I say plan on doing everything, but if a monkey wrench gets thrown in, go with the flow! :)

Hello Everyone! I am trying to plan out my day in Hilo for my upcoming cruise(yes, I am Mr. Organization when it comes to vacation). We are visiting VNP and Punulua Beach (? on spelling). Trying to determine what hot spots I should hit while in VPN that will capture most of the park (lava flow, etc.) before heading off to the beach.

We just got off Pride of Aloha May 13th. Good choice. We loved VNP. But we stayed there about 2 1/2 hours and did not even go down Rim of the Craters road (name?). We rented a car (only way to go). We then went to Akaka Falls north of Hilo and short scenic drive. Both of those were incredible and I highly recommend seeing both of those also. Akaka falls was the best waterfall we saw. We had to rush back to the ship but made it in time. If you chose to do this, I would get maps out and familiar yourself with the area.

You are not referring to hiking to the active flow are you? If so, you really won't be able to do that plus everything else because the flow is not just "right there" and accessible. Right now, I've heard that many of the tours are hiking in from the east, which is not in VNP and doesn't have the ranger's station (for safety information, etc.). It is not an easy drive to the start of where you would hike either because you have to drive over a "road" that was basically just plopped on top of the flows which destroyed Kalapana and the surrounding area. If you hiked out from the west (in VNP, the "usual" place to hike from) at the end of Chain of Craters Rd., you'd need to add at least 1-1/2 drive time r/t for the road itself plus 3 hours for hiking out to the lava and watching it (absolute minimum; it's often longer and changes all the time).

If you mean seeing the older lava flows, then no problem because there's plenty to see just around Crater Rim Dr.

Coolcruise02: You can certainly plan to do everything you want to do. Just play it by ear when the day comes. For me, it has more to do with the fact that there is only one VNP, but there are other waterfalls and other Hilo Hattie's and so forth. We think it's better to concentrate on VNP (if you've never been there before) than zip from place to place. And it's not always a matter of ages or health or anything other than a real belief that Hawaii is a place that practically begs you to leave some time to just "be" there rather than spending all day, every day "doing" things. In the end, it's all personal preference and you should do what makes you, personally, happy.:)

beachchick

Just from the times mentioned by coolcruise2, they spent about 1 and 1/2 hours at VNP. They were on the road by 9:30, it's about 30 minutes driving time to the Park. They were at Punulu'u Beach at noon, about another 30 minutes drive, so driving time was 1 hour out of the 2 and 1/2.

http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/drives/bigisle/volcano.htm

The link is a drive guide for VNP. Driving time without any stops is 2 and 3/4 hours, obviously you don't need to do everything, but only you can decide what you want to see or want to skip.

Thanks Bug Dan, that is correct. We had planned on spending 2 hrs at VNP but we did not rush and had seen everthing that interested us. You just have to be flexable with your plans. For me 1 1/2 hrs was plenty of time, I actually could have stayed a lot longer at Punalu'u Beach, but for my husband 1 hour was enough. :) We couldn't snorkel that day because the waves were so big. We did get to see large turtles swimming close to shore as well as some resting.

If we ever make it back to VNP we would like to do some hiking.

Wow Coolcruise02, you did what I was originally planning on doing, but was told it was too much. Did you feel rushed or under "pressure"? How long did you stay at VNP? We were going to try to get started by 8:30 (in the car and on our way), go straight through to Punalu'u first and then back to VNP and the back into Hilo. I'd really like to get up to Akaka Falls and still stop at Hilo Hatties - but many said that was pushing it and we wouldn't have time. If you can, let me know your time-table and I'll see if that is workable for us.

I did some reseach on Richardson Ocean Park and that looks lovely and only about 15 mins from the airport/port - so that may be an other option for us.

Mahalo and Aloha!

Vicki

Oops.:o Sorry gottacruise2, I mistakenly adressed my comments meant for you to Coolcruise02. Duh.

This was what I meant to write to you:

You can certainly plan to do everything you want to do. Just play it by ear when the day comes. For me, it has more to do with the fact that there is only one VNP, but there are other waterfalls and other Hilo Hattie's and so forth. We think it's better to concentrate on VNP (if you've never been there before) than zip from place to place. And it's not always a matter of ages or health or anything other than a real belief that Hawaii is a place that practically begs you to leave some time to just "be" there rather than spending all day, every day "doing" things. In the end, it's all personal preference and you should do what makes you, personally, happy.:)

Sorry about that (and to Coolcruise02, who's probably thinking "Hello? We already did this; Why is she writing this to me?").

beachchick

Archived