Walking into town

fleurdesol

I considered walking when I was there a couple weeks ago, but honestly, it's worth the small cab fare to take a ride. It was at least two miles, I'd say. Be certain that you have your seapass along, as you'll have to show it to get back into the port area.

Thanks!

I was just curious, no one ever mentions walking and I was just wondering if it was ever done, because it does not look that far. I was unsure of the reasoning for not walking; if it was unsafe, too far or if people just found it easier to take a cab.

Thanks!

I was just curious, no one ever mentions walking and I was just wondering if it was ever done, because it does not look that far. I was unsure of the reasoning for not walking; if it was unsafe, too far or if people just found it easier to take a cab.

When we were there before the hurricane, the manufactured port had put up a concrete wall on the south side of the property, much like the concrete wall on the north side next to Chac Chi. Trying to get around the wall to walk south along the beach to town is not practical. Recent pictures seem to show that wall still in place.

I don't believe there's any reason it absolutely couldn't be done... there's an area where you can catch a cab at the port area, and I don't see any reason why you couldn't start walking from there. I definitely considered it, but for $3, I figured I'd just enjoy the ride :)

Another option is to rent a golf cart to make the trip into town. I don't know what they were charging to do that, but I saw a number of people going that route.

When we were there before the hurricane, the manufactured port had put up a concrete wall on the south side of the property, much like the concrete wall on the north side next to Chac Chi. Trying to get around the wall to walk south along the beach to town is not practical. Recent pictures seem to show that wall still in place.

My husband and I walked into town before the hurricane. It seemed like it was a little over a mile and it took us about 25 minutes. It wasn't really unsafe since we were walking along the road the whole time. It just felt creepy since no one else from the ship was walking it and it was pretty hot.

I walked back from town a few years ago, pre-hurricane. I'd say it was at least 2 or 2.5 miles, much of it in the full sun. So if it's a hot day and you don't have a hat on, the little bus or a taxi would be a better plan.

I just felt I needed the exercise! And I enjoyed seeing the iguanas along the way.

There were maybe five or six couples walking the route as well. You just follow the same road as all the taxis. Near the ship, there were trees & shade (not sure about now!) but on the bigger highway, no shade at all.

I was walking by myself, but felt perfectly safe. (I'm a fifty-ish woman.)

If I do it again in a few weeks, will probably walk TO the village and take a cab back. But only if the weather is good.

It would be a much shorter walk if you could go down the beach instead of inland on the highway, but I didn't see a way to do that. If anyone else knows a shortcut, please do tell us!

Jan

I think it is about 2 miles and imagine perfectly safe. There is the south wall that was mentioned.

IMG_4309.JPG

We walked to the port from the beach and we had to turn back around when we hit the wall. It was fun though because we saw iguanas several times. There is no way to pass the wall other than to go around it. I think the wall is in place to separate the private touristy dock area and so you have to take a taxi to get in/out.

When the frist ships docked many people would walk down the beach to the town or go next door to Chai chi hence the wall. It seems there should be a way to bypass the wall on the town side like the hole in the fence on the other side. Has anyone found a way by it?

• 2 weeks later...

You can walk to town. It's hot and not especially interesting, but not all that alarming.

Exit the port area on the inland (west) side. Do not point your fingers and go BRAAA-AAAA-AAAAP at the guys holding machine guns. Head inland (west) on main road. Turn left (south) at intersection next main road. Turn left (east) next big intersection. Dead-end at Caribbean Sea (stop at this point, unless you're wearing flippers). Turn right (south) to the picturesque fishing village of Majahual.

If you were to turn left, you would head north along the coastline on a gradually diminishing road until you find yourself on a surface of white crushed coral surrounded by vegetation with the clear-blue Caribbean framed in gaps in the trees, and of course the ubiquitous iguanas. Since the road goes nowhere, (illegally) blocked at the pier, you will likely be alone. Unfortunately that (illegal) concrete wall does shut you off from the pier, and there is no way around it except through a swamp. So you must use the main highway to return to the pier.

If they were to put in a gate and a guy with a machine gun, they could maintain port security and allow pedestrian ingress/egress along this charming pathway. Of course that would cut into the business of the taxi drivers, so not likely to happen. Anyway the deserted road would soon be choked with boorish tourists throwing around gum wrappers and collapsing in the heat.

Exit the port area on the inland (west) side. Do not point your fingers and go BRAAA-AAAA-AAAAP at the guys holding machine guns.

Lol! Thanks for the words of wisdom!

So how far do you think this walk is? We will be there in April & I DO want to walk it ... at least TO Mahahual. Maybe take a taxi back. We are an active family but I also know we'll need to work off some of those calories from the ship!

So how far do you think this walk is? We will be there in April & I DO want to walk it ... at least TO Mahahual. Maybe take a taxi back. We are an active family but I also know we'll need to work off some of those calories from the ship!

Yeah, take the stairs on the ship as well.

The route is a little circuitous, so I'd say a mile and a half or so. It will feel longer if the sun is out. I don't remember a sidewalk but you'll be okay as long as it's not muddy.

Using the above very excellent picture, the main road is at the bottom center leading down, past the traffic circle. You head down a quarter mile or so, then right for a mile or so, then left another quarter mile.

The whitish track curving along the coast to the right is navigable from Majahual up to the barrier. When I was there I could not find a way around the swampy area to the port and had to reverse course. So don't rely on it as a way to/from, but it is a nice quiet place to walk from the other end and look at the sea and ships.

Yeah, take the stairs on the ship as well.

The route is a little circuitous, so I'd say a mile and a half or so. It will feel longer if the sun is out. I don't remember a sidewalk but you'll be okay as long as it's not muddy.

Using the above very excellent picture, the main road is at the bottom center leading down, past the traffic circle. You head down a quarter mile or so, then right for a mile or so, then left another quarter mile.

The whitish track curving along the coast to the right is navigable from Majahual up to the barrier. When I was there I could not find a way around the swampy area to the port and had to reverse course. So don't rely on it as a way to/from, but it is a nice quiet place to walk from the other end and look at the sea and ships.

Thanks for the help ... & to the poster who put up that awesome picture.

Are there signs directing the way to town so we won't get lost?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'm the one who posted about walking it pre-hurricane.

We just got back from our VOS cruise there.

I would NOT walk it again. No shade at all. Took my Garmin this time, and it is 2.8 miles.

There are now a/c (kinda sorta) buses from the port for just $3 each to get there. Coming back, you can hail a taxi for $2 each. A bargain! Definitely not worth the walk, in the hot sun ... the gym is much more comfortable!

We really enjoyed the "new" Majahual. Lovely malecon (beach sidewalk) with unobstructed water views. Lots of tables and umbrellas on the beach. Had a great massage, got a lovely sterling bracelet, and can't wait to go back.

No high pressure sales, either; so glad the town got that issue settled.

So, definitely venture out of the cruise manufactured port and visit Majahual! Fantastic place. But walking there isn't a great idea, imho, from someone who has walked it before.

Jan

We stopped at two places. The first one is where the old Pez Quadro (sp?) was; there's a new name now, something like 49 Cannons? The sign has a cannon on it. They have an open-air hotel bar (with swings at the bar, and then lots of tables) as well as beach side seating. It's the very last stop of the shuttle bus.

We bought some great sterling bracelets there for $28 each; a good value, I thought.

The other place was a beach bar about halfway down the malecon. I'm sorry, can't remember the name, but there are quite a few there and they probably all have the same prices and snacks, etc.

The beach bar was associated with one of the restaurants across the street, so there were restroom privileges there.

Wish we were there now! Have a great time ...

Jan

We will be there in April... I was looking at your picture...is that a free pool area or is that something you need to pay to get in to?

Just back 3 weeks ago. Not my picture, but yes, the pool in the port is free. So is the beach area. Drinks are cheaper than on the ship, but more expensive than in Majahual.

• 8 months later...
Lol! Thanks for the words of wisdom!

How was the walk to town for your family? We will be in Costa Maya next month and my kids want to try walking to town. How long did it take you to walk from the port to Majahaul?

I cannot find the specific name of town/area. I was in Cozumel last week and asked about it. No one was able to provide me with information. Will stop there as part of a cruise in Dec. The cruise line(NCL) only provides tour information.Thanks for any related information.

Archived