Warm Chocolate Cake Recipe?

mohendry

Does anyone have the recipe for the Warm Chocolate Cake served on Rhapsody and probably the other RCL ships? It is to die for. In my opinion, much better than the flourless chocolate cake. I looked in the cookbook RCL sells, and I could not find it there.

Found these two recipes - one is for the flourless and I think the other may be what you're looking for.

RCI's Flourless Chocolate Cake
A dense chocolate cake for those of us who can't tolerate wheat or gluten

Ingredients:

1/2 cup water

1/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 teaspoon white sugar

18 ounces bittersweet chocolate

1 cup unsalted butter

6 eggs

boiling water

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Grease one 10-inch round cake pan and set aside
  2. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the water, salt and sugar. Stir until completely dissolved and set aside.
  3. In the top half of a double boiler melt the chocolate. Pour the chocolate into the bowl of an electric mixer.
  4. Cut the butter into pieces and beat the butter into the chocolate, one piece at a time.
  5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Have a pan larger than the cake pan ready, put the cake pan in the larger pan and fill the pan with boiling water halfway up the sides of the cake pan.
  6. Bake cake in the water bath for 45 minutes (the center will still look wet). Chill cake overnight in the pan. To unmold, dip the bottom of the cake pan in hot water for 10 seconds and invert onto a serving plate.

Makes one 10-inch round cake.Royal Caribbean's

Chocolate Velvet CakeIngredients

10 ounces couvertue chocolate

10 ounces sugar

10 ounces butter (at room temperature)

1 teaspoon cognac (warm)

5 eggs(at room temperature)

Topping

Whipped cream (2 to 3 ounces)

Directions: Grease parchment paper on the bottom of a 10-inch cake mold. Set aside. Melt

together the chocolate, sugar, and butter. Place mixture in a mixing bowl

and blend well, using the second mixer speed. Blend in the cognac and add

the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after adding each one. Fill the mold

with the batter and place in a pan of warm water in an over that has been

heated to 350 degrees F.

Bake one hour. Leave the cake in the mold overnight. Unmold and top with

whipped cream.

Yield: 10 one-inch portions

Found these two recipes - one is for the flourless and I think the other may be what you're looking for.

Makes one 10-inch round cake.Royal Caribbean's

Chocolate Velvet CakeIngredients

10 ounces couvertue chocolate

10 ounces sugar

10 ounces butter (at room temperature)

1 teaspoon cognac (warm)

5 eggs(at room temperature)

Topping

Whipped cream (2 to 3 ounces)

Directions: Grease parchment paper on the bottom of a 10-inch cake mold. Set aside. Melt

together the chocolate, sugar, and butter. Place mixture in a mixing bowl

and blend well, using the second mixer speed. Blend in the cognac and add

the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after adding each one. Fill the mold

with the batter and place in a pan of warm water in an over that has been

heated to 350 degrees F.

Bake one hour. Leave the cake in the mold overnight. Unmold and top with

whipped cream.

Yield: 10 one-inch portions

Thanks so much. Where were you able to find the recipes? Also, waht is couvertue chocolate?

Found the recipes online with google.

Couverture (sorry, mispelled before) is a high quality chocolate (I think it's somewhere around high 30-something %) cocoa butter. I've used it for dipping strawberries and molds a lot - I use it to make chocolate leaves to garnish cakes and pies. It's really thin when you melt it so be sure and temper the chocolate. I get mine at a local gourmet food shop but I think you can order it online if it's not available locally. It's a bit more expensive but makes a superior end product - I think it falls into the "live a little" category! :)

I don't think the Chocolate Velvet Cake is the same as the Warm Chocolate Cake. We have a recipe for Brownie Pudding out of an old Betty Crocker cookbook and it is really similar to the warm chocolate cake and it's SO easy to make.

SAUCE:

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1/4 cup baking cocoa

1-1/2 cups boiling water

CAKE:

1 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 cup baking cocoa

1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 egg, beaten

1/3 cup milk

2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream

In a saucepan, combine sauce ingredients and keep warm. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, combine egg, milk, butter and vanilla; add to dry ingredients and stir until moistened. Fold in chocolate chips. Pour into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Pour warm sauce over batter. Do not stir. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until cake is firm and floats in sauce. Let rest 10 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.

The warm chocolate cake is made in individual serving molds. I too, agree that it was the best thing I've EVER put in my mouth! I would love the real recipe for it. I have made the pudding cake on numerous occasions and it is really good, but not quite "RCI warm chocolate cake".

Keep posting, people. Maybe someone really does have the recipe.

Please lock this thread immediately, you're making me hungry ;)

I'll be on the Mariner in less than 2 weeks and I am not above begging for anything that involves chocolate! I'll do my best to get that recipe if no one posts it before then!

• 3 weeks later...

RCI's Flourless Chocolate Cake
A dense chocolate cake for those of us who can't tolerate wheat or gluten

Ingredients:

1/2 cup water

1/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 teaspoon white sugar

18 ounces bittersweet chocolate

1 cup unsalted butter

6 eggs

boiling water

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Grease one 10-inch round cake pan and set aside
  2. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the water, salt and sugar. Stir until completely dissolved and set aside.
  3. In the top half of a double boiler melt the chocolate. Pour the chocolate into the bowl of an electric mixer.
  4. Cut the butter into pieces and beat the butter into the chocolate, one piece at a time.
  5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Have a pan larger than the cake pan ready, put the cake pan in the larger pan and fill the pan with boiling water halfway up the sides of the cake pan.
  6. Bake cake in the water bath for 45 minutes (the center will still look wet). Chill cake overnight in the pan. To unmold, dip the bottom of the cake pan in hot water for 10 seconds and invert onto a serving plate.

What happened to the eggs and the water and sugar mixture? I think part of this is missing.:confused:

I don't know if this is what they really use on RCI, but I got this from the food network and they taste just like RCI's warm chocolate cake. Use really good quality bittersweet chocolate. Let me know how you like it!

1 C unsalted softened butter, plus extra for buttering molds

8 oz chopped bittersweet chocolate

1/2 tsp instant espresso powder

4 large eggs

4 large egg yolks

2/3 C granulated sugar

4 tsp all purpose flour, plus more for dusting molds

Butter and lightly flour 6 (6oz) ramekins. Tap out excess flour(I used cocoa)

In a small saucepan, bring to a boil 2 in. of water. In a large glass bowl, add butter, chocolate and espresso powder. Lower heat and place bowl over the simmering water. Slowly whisk mixture until the chocolate is almost completely melted. Remove bowl from heat and continue to whisk mixture until chocolate is almost completely melted. Remove bowl from heat and continue to whisk until all chocolate has melted. Allow to cool slightly.

In a large bowl, add eggs, yolks, and sugar. Using an electric mixer, beat until light and fluffy and pale in color. Reduce speed to medium-low and slowly pour in the chocolate mixture. Add the flour and mix until just combined. Do not overwork the batter.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Divide the batter between the molds. Place molds on a baking sheet and place in oven for 7 minutes. The top and sides should be cooked and dry and the inside will be runny.

Using oven mitts, carefully invert each mold onto a plate and let sit for 10 seconds. Then lift 1 corner of the ramekin and the cake should slip out. Garnish with sweetened whipped cream and serve warm.

Archived