Weather in October

daisymae253

I've been to Hawaii in October the last 5 years and found the weather very warm on Maui, Hawaii ( big island) and Oahu. A few showers on Oahu, but for a short time only, then cleared up. I haven't cruised to Hawaii, so I don't know about the weather on sea days.

IMO (and my DH's) there is NO BAD TIME to go to Hawaii. However, October is just about as close to perfection as you can get. The air temps are "cooler" than the summer months and September (often the hottest month of the year). The water temps are the warmest for the year. The "rainier" season hasn't started. The seas and ocean waters will probably not be too rough. Yep, just perfect. The only thing that's a "that's too bad" is that it is not whale season (December through March/April). I cannot give you first-hand information about conditions cruising around the islands in October, but unless there is a really strong tropical storm, I think you will have no problems.

A few things to keep in mind. All weather changes are relative in Hawaii. The average temperature change year round is less than 10 degrees. It rains all year (that's one reason it's so green), but the windward (east) sides of the islands get by far the biggest share of rain. The leeward (west) sides are typically considerably drier. The question isn't will it rain, it's where and when. Sometimes people ask "when can we go to Hawaii when it won't rain"; the answer is "never." Sure, there are weeks when there is little or no rain, but there is no guarantee, no matter the time of year.

DH and I have been to Hawaii together just about every month of the year (except, ironically, October). We are going this winter and then again in October 2007. We chose October next year precisely because of the conditions I just described.

Have a lovely trip.

beachchick

Archived