when is the best time to cruise Hawaii

basser

june to november in theory, but hawaii doesn't hit with hurricanes too often.

Last one was in 1992. Kauai seems to be a magnet when they do come.

seas are roughest in january

so we will be good in april ???? im hoping,, we have 8 sea days ,,,

its going to be a long one,, cant wait to get to hawaii though..

We are thinking of doing this during the kid's summer vacation 2008. Anyone know best time from late May thru July to visit? Based on crowds, heat, weather, etc?

Thanks in advance!

Late May would be our pick. Preferably before Memorial Day, but right after that in the first couple of weeks of June is good. In fact, June 11 is King Kamehameha Day, which is a fun celebration. We loved the parade in Lahaina a couple of years ago.

July through September is really too hot for our preference.

beachchick

Posted at 4:22 a.m., Tuesday, March 13, 2007

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2007/Mar/13/br/br2135408976.html

Heavy rains over Kaua'i, more rain for O'ahu

Advertiser Staff

While a flash flood warning has been issued for Kaua'i and Ni'ihau, scattered showers will also reach O'ahu, the National Weather Service said today.

Some of the showers will be locally heavy as a slow-moving cold front passes through the islands, staying largely over Kaua'i and Ni'ihau.

Wind gusts as high as 35 mph have been reported from Makua Ridge on O'ahu, and near 45 mph gusts have been reported at Dillingham Airfield.

Today: Cloudy with occasional showers and slight chance of thunderstorms. Locally heavy rainfall possible. Highs 71 to 78. Southwest winds 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 90 percent.

Tonight: Mostly cloudy with showers likely. Locally heavy rainfall possible. Lows 62 to 71. West winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.

Wednesday: Partly sunny with scattered showers. Highs 71 to 78. West winds around 10 mph. Chance of rain 40 percent.

Wednesday night: Partly cloudy with isolated showers. Lows 60 to 68. West winds around 10 mph. Chance of rain 20 percent.

Thursday: Mostly sunny. Highs 73 to 79. Light winds.

Thursday night: Partly cloudy with isolated showers. Lows 60 to 68. North winds around 10 mph. Chance of rain 20 percent.

Friday: Mostly sunny with isolated showers. Highs 72 to 79. East winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 20 percent.

Friday night: Partly cloudy with isolated showers. Lows 61 to 69. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 20 percent.

Saturday: Mostly sunny with isolated showers. Highs 73 to 80. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 20 percent.

Saturday night: Partly cloudy with scattered showers. Lows 61 to 70. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent.

Sunday: Mostly sunny with isolated showers. Highs 73 to 80. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 20 percent. Sunday night: Partly cloudy with scattered showers. Lows 61 to 70. East winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent.

s_hi_rad.jpg

We've gone twice in late September, early October and had great weather on all of our Pacific crossings. We went in December and had some rough weather both directions, but it was beautiful in Hawaii. We're going again at the end of April. As far as I'm concerned Hawaii is always beautiful and rain keeps it that way! It can be hot & humid in the early fall, but we think the water tends to be warmer then! We've had more rain between November and April than at other times when we used to make numerous business trips to the islands. Whenever you go, enjoy!

I'm also curious as to the best "ideal" month to look at. We need to plan one for 2008 and don't have a clue when the best time would be. When is the Rainy season? Is there one?

Ideal month? That depends on a bunch of things. Do you want to see whales? You've got to book late December through March for that. Do you want the warmest water temps? Then book September through the middle of November.

The other issues are the concept of the "rainy" season. It rains year round in Hawaii. That's why the green parts are tropical and green. No matter when you go, it will rain at some point somewhere in the islands. Mostly these are passing showers that serve to freshen the air. The windward sides (east) are almost always much wetter than the leeward (west) sides. Think Hilo (windward) with its usual 100+ inches per year versus the Kohala coast (leeward) with its usual paltry 12 inches per year. Here on the central coast in CA, we often say "if you don't like the weather, wait 20 minutes or go 20 minutes down the road and it will be better." That is often equally true in Hawaii. If it's raining in Kahului, it might be clear as a bell in Lahaina.

The rainier season is typically December through March or into April. Last year was extremely wet in the spring, and it sounds like this March is very wet as well. OTOH, we've been there in February and in March and had only the barest of showers on one or two days. December through March/April is when you're more likely to have true storms and rougher water. OTOH, our December PoH cruise was almost as "smooth as silk" except the last night from Kauai to Oahu. October can be drier, but last October was pretty wet. The winds have been pretty strong this winter, but that's not always the case either. Some of the best weather we've had has been in late winter.

When we've visited in the winter, the water has been noticably cooler than May, June, or September. However, after a few moments of "got to get used to it," I was fine in the 77 degree waters of Waikiki and the mid-high 70s (don't know exactly) waters of west Maui on this last trip. Of course, anything over 60 degrees is warm to me! Our surface water temps right now are in the low 50s.

The driest months are usually June through September. Those are also the hottest months (air temps). OTOH, "hottest" is kind of relative because the overall air temp variances are only about 10 degrees throughout the year. In December, you might have highs in the high 70s; whereas in August or September you might have highs in the high 80. It's possible that you could be there during one of the winter "cold snaps" where temps are in the 60s and 50s. Averages are going to be high 70s to high 80s for highs and low-mid 60s to mid-high 70s for lows, depending on time of year. Most of the year, the trade winds keep it from feeling too stifling or sticky. One September though, we were there when the trades were down and the air temps were well into the 90s. That was not my favorite weather, but we still had a great trip. We certainly spent even more time in the water than usual.

There's really no guarantee either way what kind of weather you will have. Although there is no true "off" season, there are several times during the year that are slower (fewer land visitors and sometimes better pricing for hotels, activities, and cruises): Mid-September through the end of October (except the 2 weeks around Iron Man). The week after Thanksgiving until the week before Christmas. Late April (after spring breaks) until the week before Memorial Day. Sometimes certain weeks in January or February, but winter is prime time for snowbirds to visit--I was boggled by the number of flights coming in from the PNW, New England, and Canada when we were there last December. Almost every flight was full of pasty pale folks who were thrilled to be out of the snow.

If you want to see whales and have slightly cooler temps (with more rain/storms and choppier water usually), go in the winter. If you want warm water for snorkeling, scuba, swimming, boating, then go in September through mid-November. If you want the least chance of significant rain, go mid-June through early-October. If you're a heat lover, go July through September. If you want to find slightly lower prices (usually) plan during one of those "off" times I mentioned. Check for specials.

Well, now that I've told you far more than you probably want to know, here's the bottom line: There's no bad time to go to Hawaii.:D:D:D

As always, JMHO.

beachchick

May is usually pretty nice. I've been to Hawaii the same week in October for the last 5 years and it is hot and humid. They even threw in an earthquake for a little variety this last year!! Just go when it is best for you and be prepared for rain off and on ( that's why it is so green) and humidity. you'll have a great time.

Beachchick

What a comrehensive overview - thank you very much.

We are taking our first trip to Hawaii on 28th April for 2 weeks and we are most concerned first of all about the crossing as we are hearing about rough seas from LA and secondly the weather.

We have previously cruised the caribbean at the same time of year and had the most wonderful hot weather and really warm seas and beautiful beaches.

Can you set our minds at rest that we should be OK with our choice.

Thank you

The Mommy: I can't give you any information at all about the crossing because we wouldn't consider doing a mainland to Hawaii cruise. We don't care for that many sea days, and when we're in Hawaii, we want to be in Hawaii.

I think the crossing weather is likely to be hit or miss. Some have reported smooth and warm crossings that time of year, but it's possible that you could hit some rough seas for a day or two. I can tell you pretty much for sure that your departure day and first full sea day will be fairly cool. After that, it should warm up and be lovely for lounging by the pool and other outdoor activities onboard.

As for around the islands. The weather will probably not be the kind of hot you get in the Caribbean that time of year. (We did the Eastern in May and it was hot-hot-hot, as were the water temps warm-warm-warm.) It will not be "cool" by any stretch in late April/early May. Air temps probably in the low 80s for highs and high 60s to low 70s for lows. Rain? Well, as in the Caribbean, you'll probably have some here and there, but you're really outside the usual rainiest times in Hawaii. The water temps will be cooler than the Caribbean, period. However, that's relative too. Figure high 70s and possibly into the low 80s if the surface El Nino is still bringing warm currents across the Pacific. DH, a self-confessed water wimp, wears a lightweight short-sleeved wetsuit top (not a shortie suit, just the top) all year in Hawaii, even in the fall. In the Caribbean in May, he didn't need it. I, OTOH, am fine in Hawaiian waters year round, but do not stay in as long in the winter because it can get a wee tad "nippy" comparatively.

I can definitely set your mind at ease that late April and early May is an outstanding time to visit Hawaii. Here are our fave months in order: October, November, May, April, December, March, February, June, September. We're not into the summer months (July through early September) because it gets a bit hot for our tastes. You've picked an excellent time to travel to Hawaii.

beachchick

Thanks Beachchick for your information! We too are travelling late April/early May and now I am even more excited! :) I too, like your DH, am a water wimp, so I may hve to invest in some kind of water suit. (We have a timeshare in Cancun, and usually go to Cancun at least 2 times a year, so we are very used to the Caribbean water temperatures.) This will be our first trip to Hawaii, and first cruise, so we are very excited! Your extensive trip report, as well as general advice on all of these Hawaii questions has been invaluable. THANKS! :D

Mikekaye - you too have been very helpful with your countless posts on these boards! THANKS! We newbies really count on, and APPRECIATE the expert's advice! Cudos to you guys/gals!

Michelle

Beachchck

Thank you so much for the time and trouble you have taken in response to my question.

I am a little more at ease now about the weather whilst we are around the islands and as we are so excited at this our first trip to Hawaii I am sure that we will have a wonderful time.

Once again thank you for your help.

Gail

Beachchick - Yup, you said it all. I love reading your posts and really appreciate the details. The above post is just great and SO TRUE IMO too. Thanks for the time you spend here. Bucky

Aloha, Bucky. When I was posting yesterday, I forgot to say mahalo for your nice compliment.

I'm so often home bound and we've had to give up so many fun activities because of my health (DH's too) that coming here serves as a reminder of some of the really good things in life. It gives me a much needed outlet and is fun too. One of the wonderful things about Hawaii (and as we know, the great things about Hawaii are pretty numerous) is that we can still visit the islands and make allowances for what we can and cannot do. I love that we can simply relax on the beach, by the pool, or on the lanai--even if one or both of us need a "down" day. Because we actually have to plan rest days, we're happy when those days can be somewhere warm and which we love. It's even better when we get to do this away from the stresses of home, doctors, and other day-to-day challenges. To some it sounds silly to need to get away from health problems (because, after all, they come along with us), but honestly when it coincides that we're both having a good day and we're in Hawaii, we can have a few hours where we don't think about all of it. Instead, it's like recapturing a little bit of the lives we used to have.

Believe me, I'm not whining or complaining about the hand life has dealt us. (Although, we do have private "pity party" days that's for sure.):( Yep, it stinks to have "lost" so much and to have had our lives veer so far off the course we planned, but we also know that there are people out there who are far worse off and who do not have the support system of friends and family that we have. It took us years of basically not leaving home to figure out how to at least get back a little bit of the travel we used to take for granted. We don't take good days for granted anymore.

Anyway, mahalo. I try to give reasonable opinions (as biased as they might be);) and useful information about one of our favorite places.:D

(BTW, you're a great source of fun and information too, you know.):D

beachchick

We just got back off the Wind and thought the weather was great. It was about 80-85 everyday and we didnt have ant rain until the last day of the cruise. The water wasn't bad and we made all ports. The best part is seeing the whales, we loved that so we would like to go back at the same time next vacation there. Which is the first part of March.

Zowie!! Lots of great info since my last post!! Thanks to all of you!! We pretty much have to narrow it down to sometime between November and March due to our work schedules. Sounds like it'll be fine anytime. We aren't hot weather, beach-bakers, so the timing will be perfect. (We aren't afraid of rain either!) I really want to see turtles, and whales would be great too! Reading all your posts is so much fun, now just trying to decide where to/from to go, fly or not fly, one way or round trip, fly both ways, etc. etc. Isn't there a place to go "spin" the wheel and your choices are made for you?

After all the posts I've read by you, I don't recall and couldn't find an answer to this: Just where do you live? I thought California but can't find the answer to that! Maybe it's a secret? I never look over the threads on Hawaii without thinking of you and your great replies to questions. I surely hope your health improves so that you and your DH are once again able to enjoy the beautiful Hawaii that you obviously love as much as we do.

Aloha! Bucky

Archived