Wine Tasting Seminar

MarkMark

I see that these are still held, with a $10 fee. Anyone do one of these recently? How crowded does it get? Is it worth the time and $$? I'm not looking to get plastered (okay, maybe just a little) but I enjoy wine, and enjoy learning about wine.

We went to the wine tasting on the 11/27-12/08 Spirit Cruise. It was held in Gagney's and not well attended. The presentation was nicely done and I even learned a little bit about wines and wine etiquette. They served 3 whites and 2 reds. I'm no expert, but I got the impression that all 5 were "affordable" wines (as appossed to, say, Opus One). Although there was a plate of bread and cheese on each table, we were getting a bit buzzed as the event was scheduled at 11:15am and we were having only light breakfasts.

Our general impression is that the event is best enjoyed by someone with a little knowledge of wine (such as ourselves) but might be a bit disappointing for the true expert.

I've attended two, one on the Sun and one on the Grand Princess. Whether you enjoy it or not really depends on your current level of wine knowledge and what you're expectations are. I've been in the wine business for 30 years and went to these tasting / seminars out of curiosity to see how they were presented and what wines they were tasting. The presentations were actually quite good and explained the basics of wine making, what to expect from and look for between various types of wine with regard to sight, smell and taste; similarities and differences between wines, food pairing characteristics, and finally that the most important thing about wine is whether YOU like it and enjoy it - not what some wine critic tells you you should like or what you should drink it with. Too many people are intimidated by wine because they feel there are "rules" that need to be followed when ordering a bottle or pairing wine with food. The only rule that should apply is whether you like the wine - period!

The wines they presented were all affordable and very palatable wines that gave the attendees a good cross reference to expand upon. All in all, if you don't consider yourself a wine aficionado but enjoy wine, this would be a worthwhile event - especially for $10.00.

The one I attended had about 20 people who paid to taste. You got about 5-6 different wines to taste & some food so you could learn how the pairings affect the tastes. Maybe about another 30-40 people listened to the lecture but b/c they didn't pay, they couldn't taste the wines. You also received credit toward your next purchase of a bottle of wine.

I see that these are still held, with a $10 fee. Anyone do one of these recently? How crowded does it get? Is it worth the time and $$? I'm not looking to get plastered (okay, maybe just a little) but I enjoy wine, and enjoy learning about wine.

I considered attending the Dawn's seminar, but it was very poorly attended (maybe 6 persons) and the "sommelier" knew so little about wine it was really for the Wal-Mart version of wine education.

I did go to one on Legend of the Seas, and it was well attended and served up the equivalent of 3 glasses of wine for $10. Pretty basic information, mostly for persons who know nothing about wine, but the booze was ok.

Archived