Car Rental Shuttle & Timing

cantgetaname

We were thinking about getting a shuttle or something from Disney to Port Canaveral (going on Oasis of the Seas) But are thinking about getting a one way car rental (then another car rental one way back to Disney post cruise) and get a shuttle from car rental to the ship. Will get up reasonably early and after check out and breakfast, get car and drive to Port. Is a Sunday departure (November) Does this sound like a reasonable plan? Thinking maybe we should make breakfast a quick breakfast and not spend as much time on that. Has anyone ever done this and had a Sunday departure, what kind of back up/traffic should we expect?

I am at the Port almost every Sunday on my morning bike ride or walk and always watch the traffic with interest! Nowadays there are police helping to manage the traffic and they meet vehicles a ways from the terminal to make sure everyone go where needed.

On many Sundays the Oasis traffic continues to flow nicely and the only short delays are at the three traffic lights.

Yet, when something goes wrong, you can end up like this - from here at 11:15am it took 25 minutes to drop my family. You never know:

Oasis-Traffic.jpg

I say to be safe, plan to arrive at the terminal before 11am or after 1pm - your choice but I prefer later!

For an early arrival you have to depart Disney around 9am, then you get to the rental drop at 10:15am and hop on a shuttle before 10:45am so you can get to the terminal just before 11am. Try to get National, Alamo or Enterprise.

You can also skip breakfast at Disney, depart earlier and have a leisurely breakfast at Grills at the port right next to the Oasis. Then drop your luggage and family crew and return your car around 10:15am. You can either walk to the terminal (if using one of the 3 above) or catch a shuttle.

As mentioned, the area around the Oasis terminal can be hit or miss for traffic. After arriving at all different times previously, I'm now in the arrive later camp. It's worth it to me to sacrifice maybe two hours on the ship to have a more laid back checkin process, but I realize I'm probably in the minority.

One option is to drop your car off between 10-11, drop bags off with a porter, and then head to Grills for either a late breakfast or early lunch and wait out some of the crowds. Yes, you'd have to pay for the food vs onboard but it's a great place with some really good food. It's also nice if you can sit on the porch as Sundays in the port are typically pretty busy and there's lots to sit and watch rather than wait in line, but that's me.... No matter what way you go, have a great time!

A follow-up to my previous post:

The Port Canaveral traffic to Oasis at 11:20am today (April 2). What? Wait...where is the traffic? Exactly! Very smooth and easy today.

Oasis-Traffic-2.jpg

If you decide on a rental car, I suggest you come early and park next to terminal ONE in the Cove parking lot. It is FREE for up to 3 hours.

Grills-Terminal1-1.jpg

Leave your luggage in the car while going to Grills for breakfast (or Rusty's if Grills is too busy).

At around 10:15am return to the car and carry your luggage over to the porters. One person can then go drop the car while others wait near the security check in.

Grills-Breakfast-Oasis2.jpg

My paperwork says I can board at 11:30. I'll be at Universal Studios hotel my driver says it's only an hour hour 15 to get there so should I have a 1030 pick up at my hotel? If it says I can board 1130 I'm assuming I can get right on the ship. Anyone have experience with this I'm going in little less than four weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My paperwork says I can board at 11:30. I'll be at Universal Studios hotel my driver says it's only an hour hour 15 to get there so should I have a 1030 pick up at my hotel? If it says I can board 1130 I'm assuming I can get right on the ship. Anyone have experience with this I'm going in little less than four weeks.

Then you will be arriving at the terminal at 11:15am -11:30am. On a bad day, you may hit traffic near the terminal and be delayed say 20 minutes. Then you have to clear security downstairs and go upstairs to check in. Boarding will be after that.

If it was me, I would depart Universal no later than 9:45am to arrive at about 11am when the traffic flows easier just in case.

We were thinking about getting a shuttle or something from Disney to Port Canaveral (going on Oasis of the Seas) But are thinking about getting a one way car rental (then another car rental one way back to Disney post cruise) and get a shuttle from car rental to the ship. Will get up reasonably early and after check out and breakfast, get car and drive to Port. Is a Sunday departure (November) Does this sound like a reasonable plan? Thinking maybe we should make breakfast a quick breakfast and not spend as much time on that. Has anyone ever done this and had a Sunday departure, what kind of back up/traffic should we expect?

I hope you're not planning to wait until Sunday to pick up the rental car. A lot of neighborhood car rental locations (especially Enterprise) are closed on Sundays. It would be a good idea to pick it up on Saturday withing 24 hours of drop off.

Haven't picked for definate which company to rent from but good idea to consider Saturday pick up. We are at Disney and looking at Alamo as it's not that far. Plus I think they are open on Sundays 6am. Is Hertz very far away from the Port. Alamo has a good price for travel to the Port, but returning to Orlando/Disney, it's Hertz at the moment. Difficult to get from Oasis to Hertz? Assuming there is a place to call for a shuttle when you get off the ship?

Haven't picked for definate which company to rent from but good idea to consider Saturday pick up. We are at Disney and looking at Alamo as it's not that far. Plus I think they are open on Sundays 6am. Is Hertz very far away from the Port. Alamo has a good price for travel to the Port, but returning to Orlando/Disney, it's Hertz at the moment. Difficult to get from Oasis to Hertz? Assuming there is a place to call for a shuttle when you get off the ship?

Very easy! Just pick your favorite rental car company from the ones shown on the map below (except Payless who has restrictions). All are close to the port.

They have shuttles waiting when you arrive so no worries either.

Rental-Car-Map.jpg

Very easy! Just pick your favorite rental car company from the ones shown on the map below (except Payless who has restrictions). All are close to the port.

They have shuttles waiting when you arrive so no worries either.

Rental-Car-Map.jpg

Hi, we are coming in next Wednesday on the Anthem at 6am. I'm guessing the rental shuttles will start running when they open and take us to the car? If I book a car from Enterprise and want to use the drop box after hours is it an easy walk back to the ship? Thanks!

Hi, we are coming in next Wednesday on the Anthem at 6am. I'm guessing the rental shuttles will start running when they open and take us to the car? If I book a car from Enterprise and want to use the drop box after hours is it an easy walk back to the ship? Thanks!

I've never know Enterprise to use a drop box.

Anthem 6am

I am unsure about the arrangements for pickup before 7:30am! I think I agree with you in that you probably cannot get the car until 7:30am when they open on Wednesday but I wonder.....

The dropoff is easy - here is a picture of the box location next to the front door. Yes, it is an easy and short 0.5m safe walk back to Terminal ONE from National.

National-Drop.jpg?w=576

Anthem 6am

I am unsure about the arrangements for pickup before 7:30am! I think I agree with you in that you probably cannot get the car until 7:30am when they open on Wednesday but I wonder.....

The dropoff is easy - here is a picture of the box location next to the front door. Yes, it is an easy and short safe walk back to Terminal ONE from National.

National-Drop.jpg?w=576

Great, thank you! This is very helpful :D

Then you will be arriving at the terminal at 11:15am -11:30am. On a bad day, you may hit traffic near the terminal and be delayed say 20 minutes. Then you have to clear security downstairs and go upstairs to check in. Boarding will be after that.

If it was me, I would depart Universal no later than 9:45am to arrive at about 11am when the traffic flows easier just in case.

Thanks great help! I've booked Alamo as my departure rental and I've got a private car for arrival so we can get dropped off directly in front. Leaving Universal at 10. 🤞 all goes smoothly. I'm going on April 30th. Hopefully no other ships leaving then Return on May 7th. I'll need to check the port schedule.

Do shuttles from the Car rental companies (Alamo seems best price for our dates) start running to the ship at a particular time of the morning? I'm assuming its quite a walk?

Generally between 10am and 10:30am. If you want to be on the first shuttle then you should return your car just before 10am. The walk to terminal one is 0.5 miles - easy and flat and scenic past restaurants and such.