EmbarkmentIn Miami

joeangel

We are going on Valor on 09/25/11, staying at La Quinta at Miami airport, taking shuttle to Port. Looking for tips on making embarkment smooth and painless. Need to put cash on s&s card and get to guest services asap to reserve our cabanas in HMC and Gran Turk.

Thanks.

As soon as you arrive at the hotel, reserve your spots on the shuttle to POM. I would take one around 9:00 or 9:30, and you'll be able to take your time and not have big lines at the terminal. Go ahead and set aside money for your cab ride back to the hotel - probably $25-$35, depending on the size of your party.

It's easy and quick - have done it from that hotel twice now. You may not be able to get to the excursion desk until 12:00 or 1:00; have a drink at the bar nearby and wait. They wouldn't let us pick our HMC cabana, had to take whichever one was next in line, so we waited through a couple of people to get the number we wanted.

**PS: Forgot to add.....after you successfully make it into the hotel that evening (it is VERY hard to navigate) DON'T go back out - order pizza in for dinner!!

As soon as you arrive at the hotel, reserve your spots on the shuttle to POM. I would take one around 9:00 or 9:30, and you'll be able to take your time and not have big lines at the terminal. Go ahead and set aside money for your cab ride back to the hotel - probably $25-$35, depending on the size of your party.

It's easy and quick - have done it from that hotel twice now. You may not be able to get to the excursion desk until 12:00 or 1:00; have a drink at the bar nearby and wait. They wouldn't let us pick our HMC cabana, had to take whichever one was next in line, so we waited through a couple of people to get the number we wanted.

**PS: Forgot to add.....after you successfully make it into the hotel that evening (it is VERY hard to navigate) DON'T go back out - order pizza in for dinner!!

Do you remember what times the shuttle was offered? We are staying at this same hotel but don't get in until late the night before.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, we made a resy on line, looking at Cabana #10, what cabana is near the food?

I just had Cabana 11 and 12 and my friend had 10. Technically they are all a short walk to the food area....but if you want to be away from the "sea of people" and as close to the food as possible, get 6+.

Near cabanas 1-5

DSC02603.jpg

Near cabanas 6+

DSC02604.jpg

We stayed at LQ a few weeks ago.

We did not care for Bennigan's Restaurant out in front of LQ and would recommend ordering local delivery. There are plenty of menus at the front desk.

After getting to POM the porter will point you toward the glass doorway.

After going through security and you enter main area look for a CCL rep who has zone cards .. if the person directing you does not have one ASK. LOL

Get the zone card before checking in otherwise you will get higher number and have to hunt for one.

The kiosk was easy peasy and there are reps there to assist.

What are the kiosks for? You don't get in line and go to the desk anymore? Haven't gone out of Miami for years. They give the zone cards out first?

The kiosks are a quick check in option. You run your credit card through the sldie .. then your booking comes up after that you slide your your PP through. take the slip to desk and get S&S

I had read to get zone card first and yes the rep was near entrance holding them.

For our sailing they were also handing out Itinerary change notice since Irene pooped on HMC :(

We are going on Valor on 09/25/11, staying at La Quinta at Miami airport, taking shuttle to Port. Looking for tips on making embarkment smooth and painless. Need to put cash on s&s card and get to guest services asap to reserve our cabanas in HMC and Gran Turk.

Thanks.

You can always call Carnival and put cash on your S&S card before you go. This way the card is open and you can add money during the week when the lines aren't as long. Thats how I do it..

You can always call Carnival and put cash on your S&S card before you go. This way the card is open and you can add money during the week when the lines aren't as long. Thats how I do it..

You can :confused:

So you just call them and give them your debit card info and they pull the funds and put it as cash on your SS ?

what is a zone card? Thanks

When you check in, they give you a card with a number on it and when they start boarding, they start with calling the first number,etc. That is why we like to get there early, so we can get on and get settled. We took the 10 AM hotel bus to the port and were in the fith zone. Hope that helps.

Thanks.

Come join our roll call! It's VERY active. We also have a facebook group if you'd like to join and chat with us.

Great advice, What's it like to use the Kioask?

Miami embarkation":

I am going to explain this since I almost did the same thing two times in a row...

1.)Enter first area and have ID and Funpass printed

2.)Reach Carnivas staff memeber -they review papers and send you forward to go through the security screening (xray) of carry-ons.

3.)Once through will be handed a "boarding number" and a white sheet which is the mandatory health form--bring a pen or pencil as sometimes they are hard to come by

4.)Get in line and find a kiosk-- You check in scanning ID for each person (the swipe code on passport) using slot THEN swipe the credit card you plan on using for cruise. This was the "ah-ha" moment I messed up on. Our card would not take over and over...um there is a second slot on on front and one on side of machine. I do not recall which is which, but one is for ID sliding, the other credit cards. So don't keep trying to slide without success as I tried. :o

5.)From there will proceed directly to a "live staff member" and they hand you your sign' n' sail card.

6.)Now you sit and wait until boarding number called. This is a hint--last time they hid "special boarding tickets -first group" under some chairs -they were first row facing the entry,just a little to left and on end. So look under a few seats with your hands if you get there early. :D

The Wedding,Special Needs and VIP went up escalator to left as you face ship, and started boarding general boarding on Right side later. Not sure if that is for every cruise though.

7.)Once you get to top of escalator they take "embarakation photo" go down gangway--take your sign n' sail ID photo and you are on!

p.s. we brought a 12 pack of soda and flat of water in carry on-no problem but they opened soda box and tipped some bottles to check that it was water. No open bottles are allowed either as I was carrying a water bottle with me.

Miami embarkation":

I am going to explain this since I almost did the same thing two times in a row...

1.)Enter first area and have ID and Funpass printed

2.)Reach Carnivas staff memeber -they review papers and send you forward to go through the security screening (xray) of carry-ons.

3.)Once through will be handed a "boarding number" and a white sheet which is the mandatory health form--bring a pen or pencil as sometimes they are hard to come by

4.)Get in line and find a kiosk-- You check in scanning ID for each person (the swipe code on passport) using slot THEN swipe the credit card you plan on using for cruise. This was the "ah-ha" moment I messed up on. Our card would not take over and over...um there is a second slot on on front and one on side of machine. I do not recall which is which, but one is for ID sliding, the other credit cards. So don't keep trying to slide without success as I tried. :o

5.)From there will proceed directly to a "live staff member" and they hand you your sign' n' sail card.

6.)Now you sit and wait until boarding number called. This is a hint--last time they hid "special boarding tickets -first group" under some chairs -they were first row facing the entry,just a little to left and on end. So look under a few seats with your hands if you get there early. :D

The Wedding,Special Needs and VIP went up escalator to left as you face ship, and started boarding general boarding on Right side later. Not sure if that is for every cruise though.

7.)Once you get to top of escalator they take "embarakation photo" go down gangway--take your sign n' sail ID photo and you are on!

p.s. we brought a 12 pack of soda and flat of water in carry on-no problem but they opened soda box and tipped some bottles to check that it was water. No open bottles are allowed either as I was carrying a water bottle with me.

What if you are using cash for SS and not a credit card, can you still use the kiosk?

Stupid question probably...but is it any different if you are doing VIP boarding? We got an Ocean Suite this trip, so get to claim VIP status.

When you get to initial inside line--flash VIP FunPass papers and they will direct you, or open a lane for you to advance to go...then the attendant checking ID's,security check, go directly to a nice lounge for check in and receive your sign n' sail card there. You will be one of first groups to board.

Enjoy! It is so nice getting on--a great table at lido area, photos of ship when there aren't people etc.

I forgot I hadn't uploaded our spring cruise from Miami on the Carnival Liberty--

So, I just started uploading and here are first five:

The MotherShip: taken on way to port after staying in hotel (most people will never see this as in a neighborhood) same with the sign

2339109660103372150S500x500Q85.jpg

ooo...ahhh -the whale tail, next stop the Port of Miami cruise terminal:

2191761750103372150S500x500Q85.jpg

The terminal--(this was taken "after" cruise when we disembarked ship) I think lounge was glass windows. The secret chair with early boarding hidden under it if I recall were by the blue garbage can top right facing tan doors..if I recall. The lady leaning on a counter is where most people fill out the mandatory health forms.

2063407740103372150S500x500Q85.jpg

Miami VIP lounge check-in

2780925660103372150S500x500Q85.jpg

Miami VIP furniture:

2924979040103372150S500x500Q85.jpg

This is an older photo Fall 2009-when they first introduced Kiosks--best shot I could get since they do not allow photos in terminal due to security. (The lounge didn't count I guess)

2554004550103372150S500x500Q85.jpg

Setting your S&S account up with cash is super easy at the Kiosk! When you scan your id's, etc. it'll then ask for your credit card, but there is another option for not using CC - I can't remember exactly what it says, something like "I don't have a CC" or "other", but it's easy to figure out and there is always someone to assist you. Then you just feed the machine your cash - however much you want to add. You can do as little as $20, just to set up the account and you can add more later at guest service. Or, you can put as much on as you want at this time. It really is very very easy.

Archived