Busy day in Juneau help please!!

kt6453

We are going to be in Juneau on July 3rd which is a 6 ship day... would like to do whale watching, Mendenhall with time to explore and see Salmon hatchery.

Currently booked with Juneau Tours for whale watching and then drop off at Mendenhall and take shuttle back to cruise ship dock.

Was then planning to take taxi from cruise ship dock back to salmon hatchery, possibly consider tram if weather clear, and eat somewhere locally around dock.

What I'm wondering is whether with all these ships in Juneau that day it will be too crowded to eat around dock, etc. Will it be hard to get a taxi??

Should we do one of the cruise ship excursions that involve a meal, etc to not wait in long lines?

Thank you!

Actually, there are only five large ships, two of which are there for a half day only. The Bliss, which is 4000 pax, will be gone by noon. It shouldn't be too crowded in the afternoon. Be aware that most ships stick around until late on July 3 to watch the fireworks display. It's pretty amazing to watch from a ship in the harbor.

Actually, there are only five large ships, two of which are there for a half day only. The Bliss, which is 4000 pax, will be gone by noon. It shouldn't be too crowded in the afternoon. Be aware that most ships stick around until late on July 3 to watch the fireworks display. It's pretty amazing to watch from a ship in the harbor.

Thank you! I already feel better. :). I think I’m leaning towards a rental car but still really not sure. Does Mendenhall ever run out of parking?

What time are fireworks? I know sunset is really late!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have driven there in a car a few times and have never had a problem with parking. The lot is huge, most tourists come via bus, and the locals avoid it until the crowds have gone back to their ships.

Fireworks start at 11:59pm.