Coliseum First Sunday of the month

Giantfan13

We have read on the Coliseum web site that there is free admission on the 1st Sunday of every month. We will be in Rome on the 1st Sunday in Nov. Would this be a thing to consider? They say there are no advance tickets so I would assume the lines would be quite long.

Is this true for any of the other attractions in Rome?

If time is a factor, would visiting on another day and paying to get in early a better thing to do?

Cheers

Len

• 4 weeks later...

ALL of the museums and sites are busy on free Sunday but be there at 8 when they open and you'll be good to go. We often hit the free museum on the first Sunday whenever in Europe and its always worth whatever museum we've chosen but you need to be in early cuz the lines form fast and I think its worth a free trip. If you are doing the Roma Pass you might want to use one of your museum visits for the Colosseum and Forum which can then be done on two consecutive days but if not, go for it. We'll be in Rome on this day too and plan on hitting up a freebie before going to our ship so highly recommend doing it...also consider going over to Ostia Antica which is a mere metro ride 30 min away and free on that Sunday too. Its very cool and if you have the day you can do both, something we did one of those free Sundays a few years ago.

Enjoy!

• 4 months later...

GiantFan13 - Do you end up going on the Free Sunday?

Anyone: We will be there this summer and thought about doing this. I wondered if it is less of a zoo at the end of the day. I read to plan about an hour for a visit. What is the latest time one can enter the Colosseum on the free day?

As for the crowd...I do not care. We paid good money last summer to visit the Vatican museum and that was very crowded. So I would rather pay nothing than something for a crowds. :-)

GiantFan13 - Do you end up going on the Free Sunday?

Anyone: We will be there this summer and thought about doing this. I wondered if it is less of a zoo at the end of the day. I read to plan about an hour for a visit. What is the latest time one can enter the Colosseum on the free day?

As for the crowd...I do not care. We paid good money last summer to visit the Vatican museum and that was very crowded. So I would rather pay nothing than something for a crowds. :-)

We got to the Coliseum about 8:30AM, thinking we might beat some of the crowds--WRONG. When we got there, the line, we were told, was about 2 hours long to get in. As I said, in another thread, I am slightly handicapped and mentioning that to the people at the gate, we were admitted right then and there.

As to your other question, whether or not the lines will sort of 'thin out' later in the day, I cannot answer. Since the Coliseum is right across the street from the Forum and that was also free, when we finished the Coliseum, we went over there and again, there was a huge line.

Just a note, we did purchase one of the guided tours in the Coliseum. I think it was only about 5 euros' or something like that. Very inexpensive and well worth it.

Cheers

Len

PS-- agree fully about the Vatican. We were there in November, off season, on a weekday and it was mobbed. I'm from NY, where you might think I'd be used to so many people, but it was again, mobbed. AND we were told it WAS an off day. :D:D:D