Our Family's "Epic" Mediterranean Adventure

Excellent review- thanks (travelling end of July!)

Wondering what time the welcome show is on the first night? Trying to time a dinner reservation so it doesn't conflict.

We didn’t go to this show, so I’m not familiar with the time. I didn’t save the dailies, so I can’t look it up. Is it listed on the entertainment options on the NCL website? You might be able to find some current dailies on the NCL forum. Safe travels!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

:D Thanks- I'll check

We didn’t go to this show, so I’m not familiar with the time. I didn’t save the dailies, so I can’t look it up. Is it listed on the entertainment options on the NCL website? You might be able to find some current dailies on the NCL forum. Safe travels!

makes sense, I imagine mine will feel the same.. maybe.. Thank you!

My daughter didn't go to the teen club. She's an only child and a bit shy and didn't feel comfortable going on her own. Also, we were up so early and had long days touring. She was content to eat dinner, walk around a little, and go to bed! The dynamics on the Med. cruise were very similar in my opinion to a Caribbean cruise. I saw many groups of teens on their own.

Thanks so thanks so much for your review. We’re on the same cruise in two weeks and will definitely take all of your posts into consideration. I’m happy that you enjoyed your trip and came away with so many positive experiences!

• 1 month later...
Before getting on the bus for the 2nd day, we walked to the Boqueria Market. We got there mid-morning and it was just starting to get crowded. If you like freshed squeezed juices, this is your place. Lots of delicious combinations to choose from. We also tried the chocolate covered strawberries on a stick--5 huge strawberries for only 3 euros. We also found an olive stand which sold Spanish olive oils and vinegars in small bottles (ok for carry on luggage) that were vacuum sealed.

After the market, we walked to Gothic Quarter to explore before we began day 2 of our bus adventure. There is an excellent pastry/sweets shop called La Colmena located right by the Jaume 1 metro stop on the Placa de l'Angel. Excellent pastries and sweets! Next stop was the Gothic Cathedral. They do enforce their dress code here. We all had shorts on, but they were long shorts to our knees. We were allowed entry, but I did see a young lady in very short shorts turned away. After our visit, we caught the bus right by the Cathedral and headed to Park Guell. It took us over an hour on the bus to get to the park. Granted, not the best use of time, but we paid for the tickets so we might as well use them. The hop on hop off buses drop you near the park, but it is still a long walk up very steep hills to get to the entrance. If you have any mobility or health issues, I'd find another way to get to the Park. The city bus will drop you by the entrance and the taxis will as well.

Part of Park Guell is open to the public, but if you want to visit the Monuments area, you must purchase timed tickets. I waited to the day before to purchase the tickets, so the earliest I could get was 2:30. If I had it to over again, I would purchase tickets for earlier in the morning before the crowds and the heat set in. The park does offer incredible views of Barcelona and it was worth the trek!

After the park, we got back on the bus and headed back to our hotel. Our hearts wanted to keep going, but after 3 long days of touring, we were just wiped out. We did a little packing and took a nap. For our last night in Barcelona, we went to Can Majo, a paella restaurant on the beach. The setting was lovely. DD and DH shared the lobster paella and I had the veggie paella. The sangria was mighty tasty as well!

We woke up on Sunday morning knowing we had time before we needed to get on the ship. We didn't want to stray too far from the port area, so DD suggested the Aquarium. It's described as the largest aquarium in Europe and being huge animal/nature lovers we try to visit some type of animal/nature venue on our trips. So, that's where we went. It was a nice aquarium. The best part getting to bottle feed koi fish. IMHO, it wasn't worth the price.

After the aquarium, we headed back to the hotel, picked up our luggage and headed to the port. For us, the embarkation process at Barcelona was the fastest and easiest we have experienced. We arrived around 2:00 and were on the ship in 15 minutes. Our room was ready, so we dropped off our carry on luggage and headed to the buffet.

We had a private tour in Cannes that started at 8:30. I was concerned about the tendering process and stopped by the shore excursion desk. I was able to book a tender for 7:45. If you want to get to shore early in Cannes, reserve an early spot as soon as you can once on board. You can reserve through the TV in your stateroom. Our room was missing the remote, hence the trip to the shore excursion desk!

Our first full day on the ship was a sea day. We woke up to wind and rain. Normally, this would be disappointing, but we were still wiped out from our time in Barcelona. We used this day to nap and relax.

Next installment...Naples!

we are going on the Epic MED Cruise in OCT/ How was getting to port with your luggage? did they have luggage drop off point as they do stateside? we already have our luggage tags printed.

Please help

Robin & Angel "D"

we are going on the Epic MED Cruise in OCT/ How was getting to port with your luggage? did they have luggage drop off point as they do stateside? we already have our luggage tags printed.

Please help

Robin & Angel "D"

Barcelona is the easiest port I have ever departed. Drop luggage and 15 minutes and we were onboard.

Yes, boarding process was very easy. We arrived around 2:00. Ours was the only taxi there. We handed luggage over to the porters(just like in US ports). We walked directly to the ticket counter and there was no line. We onboard in minutes!