Just HOW strenuous is the Laughton Glacier Hike in Skagway?

jmarks

Well, the trip is taking shape now but I need to make a decision about our time in Skagway. The Laughton Glacier Hike offered by Packer expeditions is intriguing to me, but I wonder if it is out of our league. DH and I walk for exercise; probably 10-15 miles per week. But we don't hike on trails, and not at any serious altitude. Has anyone done this who could enlighten me?

Well, the trip is taking shape now but I need to make a decision about our time in Skagway. The Laughton Glacier Hike offered by Packer expeditions is intriguing to me, but I wonder if it is out of our league. DH and I walk for exercise; probably 10-15 miles per week. But we don't hike on trails, and not at any serious altitude. Has anyone done this who could enlighten me?

We just completed this hike 2 weeks ago and it was still quite of bit of snow so you had to be careful most of the time of your footing (I used a tracking pole). The rocks started to get real tough to walk on and our friend went down with his knee and had to be medi-vac out. The staff was great and he was taken into the Skagway Clinic (the doctor happened to be there) and he was back on the ship before we could make it back to town.

I was a little disappointed b/c the fresh snow kept us from going to close to the glacier and we saw no wildlife. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

The tour goes at a pretty slow pace, so you'll be fine. Better to wear boots than sneakers, for the rocks & uneven terrain, and in case it's wet/muddy.

If you are going to see other glaciers on your trip, Laughton is not really a must-see, but it's a nice trail and if the weather's good, it makes a great day of hiking. You can book the train yourself for about $60 per person (go to the railroad's web site). The trail is well-used and easy to follow, so you don't need the guide, though they do point out plants & such, so if you don't know much about the flora/fauna of the area, you'll appreciate that.

We booked the train ourselves & hiked on our own. We stopped at the cabin and read through the camper's log book--no mention of people encountering much wildlife, so no big worries there. We saw moose droppings but no moose. We saw mama bear and cub about 6 miles from the Skagway depot, but I think there's enough human traffic on the trail that a bear encounter on the way to Laughton is rare, especially if you're with a big group.

The hike to Denver glacier is longer with more incline, so it would be less frequented and perhaps offer better odds for wildlife. (It's closer to the area where we saw mama bear.)

Hiked this two weeks ago with my wife (we are mid-40s). This was one of the highlights of our trip. It is a moderate to strenuous hike. Hiking boots with ankle support are highly recommended. I had boots and my wife decided to chuck hers old ones for tennis shoes at the last minute. Her ankles were sore but not sprained. You will walk on lots of rocks and boulders on the way which are hard on the ankles-but no one in our group of 10 twisted anything. Ages ranged from 14-mid-50s. Packer Guides were awesome, knowledgable and helpful. Scenery is awesome and you will be tired but there are many rest stops planned and a relatively easy pace. If you are already walking 10-15 miles per week (we average about the same) you should be able to make it with no problem. Not a lot of wildlife on the trail but we did see a bear while waiting for the train ride back. This is a must do if you like to hike. Have fun. John

IMG_1012.jpg.6a5cee0f27d053037e48ee544cea50fd.jpg

IMG_9782.jpg.5b76167cf80bd998a15e2531337f57b9.jpg

IMG_9906.jpg.6f3c411b75d2f61cd95891ceb793ae03.jpg

IMG_9876.jpg.7c16c039cbe4e39a459633511c00ab20.jpg

IMG_9847.jpg.cab079ab629fbe3e30af29ef4750f5fa.jpg

Archived