Hiking up Mt. Roberts for older folks too much?

healthteacher

I found a great review...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=999289

...and have read much about hiking, trams, busses, etc...

in Juneau. My son and I are traveling with my 80 year old

parents. Is the vertical ascent of Mt. Roberts going to wipe

them out? If we went slower, is it doable? They like walking

but I am worried we may be overdoing it. We are on the

Ryndam July 17th. Thanks.

We decided to hike up Mt Robert and took the tram down, to save $27 per person. The trail head is at the end of 6th St, about 12 blocks from where we docked (Steamship dock).

The trail is 2.5 mile, with a vertical gain of 1800 ft. The trail condition was pretty good. We met a total of about 10 hikers along the trail, all local people.

The above is a quote from that review. We are a couple, age 60 & 73. We are pretty active (I do 2 miles on the treadmill several times a week on a 3.5 incline and my husband is stronger overall than me), but I'm not sure we could do the 2.5 mile hike with a vertical gain of 1800 ft. That is after walking a good distance to the trailhead. Would love to try it, especially if it's not raining. If your parents can do it in their 80's, I'm VERY impressed!! :)

Are there any comments on the difficulty of the trail, from those who have done it?

We did the hike last week and loved it. We are in our late 50's and in pretty good shape and never take the elevators on the ship. We only do the stairs. It took us 1 1/4 hours and the locals say they do it in 50 minutes. There are parts that are slippery and steep and most of the trail was muddy. There was a little bit of snow at the top. We never felt out of breath or winded, but we were ready to be at the top when we got there. We were there on a day that was clear and around 62 so it was a very pleasant walk for us. The trail is well marked and we only ran into locals. Keeping this all in mind, my mother could not make it, but she does not walk, my husbands parents could but they would be exhausted when they got there. Hope this helps

They were warning people at the top who wanted to hike down due to damage over the winter to the trail.

DS and I after we took the tram to the top hiked some of the other trails above the trams. Many portions still had snow on them. Not bad but they were slick in those spots.

They were warning people at the top who wanted to hike down due to damage over the winter to the trail.

Because of the amount of rain we get, and the sort of soil we have, down is always more dangerous than up. The ground gives way very easily and you're moving down, very fast. Sadly, a teen had this happen to him on the West Glacier trail out at Mendenhall this week. His backpack had fallen off the trail, he went down into the brush to retrieve it, and ended up sliding into an avalanche chute to his death. Never underestimate Alaska or overestimate your ability, folks.

Because of the amount of rain we get, and the sort of soil we have, down is always more dangerous than up. The ground gives way very easily and you're moving down, very fast. Sadly, a teen had this happen to him on the West Glacier trail out at Mendenhall this week. His backpack had fallen off the trail, he went down into the brush to retrieve it, and ended up sliding into an avalanche chute to his death. Never underestimate Alaska or overestimate your ability, folks.

The problem with any rising trail is that if you only go part way up and change your mind, the coming back down can be very dangerous. I wouldn't want to risk a older parent on the trail. The Tram was built for a long list of good reasons. One for sure was safety.

My days of hiking this sort of trail are over.

Believe it or not, 1800 ft elevation gain over 2.5 miles is darn steep. IMHO you'd be challenged. And your parents would be in trouble. Then what would you do? We live at higher elevation, and regularly hike around home, so find we are capable of more exertion when we are at sea level. We'd never try that gain over that distance.

I googled and found a bit of info, that indicates a hike that is 2.5 mi with 1800 ft elevation gain is rated "difficult". Seriously, I think you'd be getting your parents into a precarious situation (no pun intended).

The problem with any rising trail is that if you only go part way up and change your mind, the coming back down can be very dangerous. I wouldn't want to risk a older parent on the trail.

Seriously, I think you'd be getting your parents into a precarious situation (no pun intended).

Never underestimate Alaska or overestimate your ability, folks.

I agree with all of the above posters. I have done this trail 3 times out of the 4 times we've been to Juneau. I did not do it the one time because I had just come back from surgery and although I felt that I could do it (I am fairly fit and young), I did not want to risk finding out half way through that I would not be able to manage it and have to hike back down in my condition - it was just too risky. Hiking down is sometimes harder than hiking up. Also, you also have to take into consideration that you still have to get to the trail head, and that also involves a bit of an uphill climb that can prove to be difficult for some.

Believe it or not, 1800 ft elevation gain over 2.5 miles is darn steep. IMHO you'd be challenged. And your parents would be in trouble. Then what would you do? We live at higher elevation, and regularly hike around home, so find we are capable of more exertion when we are at sea level. We'd never try that gain over that distance.

I googled and found a bit of info, that indicates a hike that is 2.5 mi with 1800 ft elevation gain is rated "difficult". Seriously, I think you'd be getting your parents into a precarious situation (no pun intended).

Did this hike up 6 weeks ago. I'm 61 but hike country trails regularly and it took an hour at STEADY pace. Then it was still snow/icy the last 20-mins approaching tram level. It is strenuous and runs real risk in getting timely aid if an ankle gets twisted or worse medical needs from exertion. I did have cell signal along the trail. Much less risky to take tram up, hike nearby tram-level trails (they were closed in late May due to ice/snow). There is also a Perseverance trail that is some 3.5 miles and alot less elevation gain through old forest - will do that or Mendenhall-area trails next visit. Have a great SAFE trip.

This is the sort of trail I used to do easily and with pleasure. First one sore leg and then knee issues and I can no longer do a trail like that. I haven't quit trying and have spent a lot of time in PT to get better, but it may not be possible.

One factor that I had not realized was that some of the medicines I take have slowed down my walking ability. How many visitors think about that?

Thank you for your wisdom.

Orchid72 - you are a Vancouverite if my early morning memory serves me correct - then perhaps you could answer this - how does the hike up Mt Roberts compare to the Grouse Grind/BCMC trail here in Vancouver?

Cheers

Dennis

Did this hike up 6 weeks ago. I'm 61 but hike country trails regularly and it took an hour at STEADY pace. Then it was still snow/icy the last 20-mins approaching tram level. It is strenuous and runs real risk in getting timely aid if an ankle gets twisted or worse medical needs from exertion. I did have cell signal along the trail. Much less risky to take tram up, hike nearby tram-level trails (they were closed in late May due to ice/snow). There is also a Perseverance trail that is some 3.5 miles and alot less elevation gain through old forest - will do that or Mendenhall-area trails next visit. Have a great SAFE trip.

We have one trail near us that keeps the tourists in trouble every summer. Every year, without fail, several suffer heart attacks on it, needing to be medivaced out. Add to that the ones who leave the trail, have no cell phones, break a leg, and have to spend the night on the mountain, until they are noticed "missing". I am more cautious now (living in the area) than when I was just a visitor to the area.

Orchid72 - you are a Vancouverite if my early morning memory serves me correct - then perhaps you could answer this - how does the hike up Mt Roberts compare to the Grouse Grind/BCMC trail here in Vancouver?

Cheers

Dennis

In my opinion, the trail itself from 6th street to the tram stop is easier than the BCMC, and is probably comparable to First Peak on the Chief, maybe even a bit easier. Reason being is that Mt. Roberts has a longer distance over less elevation gain - I would say it is about 2/3 the distance of the BCMC, and less steep in areas.

I think the Juneau locals use this trail just like Vancouverites use the Grind/BCMC, BUT it is soooooo much more quieter.

Just to clarify: I have not done the trail all the way to Mt. Roberts *summit*, which is probably another 2 miles and another 1600+ feet elevation gain from the tram stop (not sure about these numbers though - maybe locals can clarify this). But I think most people on these boards are talking about the 6th street to tram stop trail considering the times/distance/elev gain described on this board.

Thanks Orchid72 for your reply - I have been up Mt Roberts by tram the last time there - couldn't hike up because it was early May and lots of snow still on the trail - so far this week I have done Dog Mountain on Seymour and some of the Howe Sound Crest from Cypress and are working towards a Grouse Grind/BCMC trip once the weather cools down - I don't perform well in hot weather - also will be doing a weeks hiking in the Rockies in early August so I should be in shape by the time I hit Juneau.

Cheers

Dennis

Archived