7nt Southbound Cruise -- ports of call advice, please!

SouthernSparkler

Hello everyone!

Will be taking our 1st ALASKA cruise in August (SUPER EXCITED!). We will be on the Radiance of the Seas – southbound 7 nights. Have been reading lots on the boards, reviews, as well as books but still need some help with our activities in the ports of call.

Background: I will be traveling with one of my closests friend – we are both physically active, love being outdoors, and would prefer a hike to sitting on a bus tour. Prefer having a beer in a saloon over shopping. We are early risers and prefer not to get caught in crowds. First time to Alaska for both of us – what we really want to do on this cruise & are looking for help with is:

1) Ziplining (icy strait)

2) Dog Sledding (juneau)

3) Whale watching (I don’t know where yet--help!)

4) Recommendations for great places to eat crab & have a beer

5) Active excursion---whitewater rafting, fishing, or a hike on a glacier if possible!

This is what I have so far…any tips/suggestions/advice is welcomed J

JUNEAU (9am-9pm): Looks like this is the best place to do dog sledding (or is it? Tell me if you know a better place!) Mendenhall Glacier also looks like a must see. Is there a hiking trail on the glaciar? Has anyone taken the tram up to Mount Robson or is that too much to do in one day with the dog sledding?

SKAGWAY (7am-8:30pm): *Beer at Red Onion Saloon. Other than that, haven’t really read much that we would like to do here. Is Emerald Lake worth going to see? Any suggestions at all would be most helpful as we have a full day in port here. Would like to know which port (out of Skagway, icy strait & ketchikan) has the best whale watching.

ICY STRAIT POINT(7am-3pm) --- It is my understanding that this is a Tender port so it’s a bit of a short port day. Our #1 thing to do here is the ZIPLINE!

Anyone have any feedback on the Zipline here? Other things to do here?

KETCHIKAN (9-6pm) --- Is the lumberJack Show worth seeing? Possibly looking to do a Float Plane Tour—anyone done this here?

Well it’s a start anyways…hope this gives you an idea of what I’m looking to do in the ports & I would really love any feedback/suggestions/experiences you had.

Thanks in advance!

Hello everyone!

Will be taking our 1st ALASKA cruise in August (SUPER EXCITED!). We will be on the Radiance of the Seas – southbound 7 nights. Have been reading lots on the boards, reviews, as well as books but still need some help with our activities in the ports of call.

Background: I will be traveling with one of my closests friend – we are both physically active, love being outdoors, and would prefer a hike to sitting on a bus tour. Prefer having a beer in a saloon over shopping. We are early risers and prefer not to get caught in crowds. First time to Alaska for both of us – what we really want to do on this cruise & are looking for help with is:

2) Dog Sledding (juneau)

5) Active excursion---whitewater rafting, fishing, or a hike on a glacier if possible!

JUNEAU (9am-9pm): Looks like this is the best place to do dog sledding (or is it? Tell me if you know a better place!) Mendenhall Glacier also looks like a must see. Is there a hiking trail on the glaciar? Has anyone taken the tram up to Mount Robson or is that too much to do in one day with the dog sledding?

SKAGWAY (7am-8:30pm): *Beer at Red Onion Saloon. Other than that, haven’t really read much that we would like to do here. Is Emerald Lake worth going to see? Any suggestions at all would be most helpful as we have a full day in port here. Would like to know which port (out of Skagway, icy strait & ketchikan) has the best whale watching.

ICY STRAIT POINT(7am-3pm) --- It is my understanding that this is a Tender port so it’s a bit of a short port day. Our #1 thing to do here is the ZIPLINE!

KETCHIKAN (9-6pm) --- Is the lumberJack Show worth seeing? Possibly looking to do a Float Plane Tour—anyone done this here?

Well it’s a start anyways…hope this gives you an idea of what I’m looking to do in the ports & I would really love any feedback/suggestions/experiences you had.

Thanks in advance!

Since you like hiking you might try some of the hiking trails in Skagway:

http://www.skagway.com/skagwaytrailmap.pdf

For your itinerary, Juneau and Icy Strait are the best places for whale watching tours.

Float Plane tours come highly recommended for Ketchikan. I don't do small aircraft, but my sister did and she loved it.

According to BQ, the Alaska expert on this forum, dog sledding is the most cancelled excursion, so have some good back up plans in Juneau. It is not difficult to combine the whale watching and the dog sledding. You have a full day there. Here is a link for the trails at Mendenhall:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/trails.html

Avid hikers sometimes choose to climb up Mt. Roberts instead of taking the tram.

Hi there - my husband and I went on our first cruise in August this year on Radiance of the Seas and you are going to have a trip of a lifetime!!! We went Northbound and it was spectacular. We went Whale Watching in Juneau and also in ISP - both were great but ISP was THE BEST - so surreal that it left me breathless.

We went Zip Lining in ISP also and that was soo much fun - it is a blast - over very quickly but well worth it. We waited until we got there to book this.

In Skagway we did the White Pass Train trip and the scenery was amazing. We booked all of our excurtions independently and had no problems. I spent hours and hours on these forums researching and it was well worth the time spent.

Radiance is an amazing ship - we had to keep reminding ourselves that we were on a boat.

We would not hesitate to go on this beautiful ship again and we are DEFINITELY planning to return to Alaska - you will LOVE it.

Happy planning and have a wonderful trip.

Twink:)

2) Dog Sledding (juneau)

LOL -- that is NOT a description of us! We are mature, mobility limited, and prone to take ship's excursions for the convenience and safety.

Yet -- I can respond to some of the questions you ask.

Whale watching ... I would suggest you book with an independent such as Teckk or FISHES in ISP. Then arrange for them to take you by The Office Bar after the trip for local crab and local beer! Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/volendam.html

Skagway -- renting a car from Avis and driving to Emerald Lake is definitely worth doing. There are many scenic spots where you can stop and have a little hike. When you turn back from Emerald Lake you can stop at Caribou Crossing for the dog camp and dog cart ride. On the return to town you have time for a beer at the Red Onion. Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/skagway.html. The actual dog sledding on the glacier is one of the most cancelled tours in Alaska but if you want to take a chance on it Juneau is a good place. Have a Plan B.

Besides the specific links above I have posted a general page of Alaska excursions we have enjoyed at

http://www.bully4.us/alaskaexcursions.html

HTH.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Last September I went flightseeing to Misty Fiords in Ketchikan, whale watching in Juneau, & the train in Skagway. May 2010 I have already booked another whale watch in Juneau & rented a car in Skagway. I love Alaska, & plan on a trip inland again in 2011.

I wouldn't recommend Teckk for whale watching as we were booked with them this last year and when we met up with them, they then said they didn't have a boat going out. It was too foggy. It wasn't that foggy and other boats went out. I was very disappointed. We went bear watching with them instead. Yes, we saw 3 bears but as long a ride over a twisty dirt road that it was, the trip definitely wasn't worth it for me. The couple that own and run Teckk are very nice but wish I would have been informed via e-mail or something that we couldn't go whale watching. I could have then signed up with FISHES or the ship at least.

After going to Alaska 4 times (3 included land touring and cruises and one was a 10 day independent land touring only) now, I think you need to remember that you can't see and do it all in one trip. We have seen and done different things each trip.

We have been to Juneau 3 times and haven't done the Adventure Bound tour of Tracy Arm yet and have still had a great time. Yes, I would definitely like to do that tour but thought we should do and see what there is to see around Juneau first before we take off on that all day tour up Tracy Arm.

Our third cruise was just this last August 28 - Sept. 9 and we sailed northbound on the Radiance of the Seas. We really enjoyed the ship and its size.

We finally went to Mendenhall Glacier. I felt so bad we had missed it the other two times that I wanted to make sure that we didn't miss it this time. After getting off the ship, we found a shuttle to Mendenhall for $7.00 each way per person which sounded really good. Mendenhall was absolutely gorgeous and well worth the trip. Had a nice meandering time there and then had a great fish and chips lunch at "Flight Deck" which we saw right off the main street on the water side of the street. Super good fish and chips and the people that ran it were very nice. We had a clear day so then we went up the Mt. Roberts Tramway. The view and scenery were breathtaking and I definitely think kids would enjoy the tram ride and the hiking up at the top of the tram. Frankly, by the time we did all of that I wouldn't have cared that our ship would be there to 8 - 9:00 p.m. That was a big enough day.

Going backwards, when in Juneau in June, 2005, our family all did different things. My husband and I went whale watching and looking around town which I wish we would have skipped to go to Mendenhall Glacier. My 20+ year old daughters went dog sledding via helicopter up to the top of the glaciers. One of my daughters is married and her and her husband went in a float plane over the glaciers before her dog sled/helicopter excursion and she said that the helicopter ride was by far better than the float plane excursion. They both enjoyed the dog sledding very much but said the whole thing (price was about $420.00 per person) was worth it because of the gorgeous scenery of the glaciers that the helicopter ride gave them.

I definitely think you would have time to go dog sledding/helicopter and mendenhall all in one day. If it is a clear day go up the Mt. Roberts Tramway. Beautiful view!

We were going to go to the "Office" for crab in ISP but when my husband found out that it was dungeness crab he wasn't interested. I'm not a crab lover. We ended up going back on the ship and eating.

Just this last cruise, when in Skagway we rented a car and drove up the Klondike highway as far as Emerald Lake and really enjoyed doing that at our own pace rather than being part of a tour group. We also stopped at Caribou crossing and saw the husky dogs and puppies. After the drive we had time to shop around Skagway. Skagway has nice shops - just too many jewelry stores which of course you don't have to visit all of them.

We have enjoyed going the end of May, the second and third weeks of June and now the end of August and beginning of Sept. For going to Denali, as we did this last trip, the scenery was especially beautiful due the all the fall colors. So we really liked going at this time. Our whole trip was scheduled to have rain and out of the 12 days we only had a small amount of rain one evening. So don't always be scared off by the weather forecast either.

I have wanted to do so many varied things and just had to realize that with the vastness of Alaska that you can't possibly see and do all you like in one trip. You must pick all your priorities for this trip and do those.

• 3 months later...

thanks for all the insights. I'm going to Alaska northbound on Princess in May. Any suggestions for helicopter tour companies? Zipline tour companies? In the past I have found that the cruise excursions are much more expensive. thanks

I wouldn't recommend Teckk for whale watching as we were booked with them this last year and when we met up with them, they then said they didn't have a boat going out. It was too foggy. It wasn't that foggy and other boats went out. I was very disappointed. We went bear watching with them instead. Yes, we saw 3 bears but as long a ride over a twisty dirt road that it was, the trip definitely wasn't worth it for me. The couple that own and run Teckk are very nice but wish I would have been informed via e-mail or something that we couldn't go whale watching. I could have then signed up with FISHES or the ship at least.

Well, of course you were disappointed. It is always distressing to have to change plans. BUT -- when you travel, stuff happens. You have to roll with the punches.

However, I think Teckk is to be commended for their care for passenger safety. Taking a boatload of tourists out in foggy weather would be careless and not good seamanship. You say, "It wasn't that foggy," but you are in no way qualified to determine what local conditions may be and how they affect the operation of a vessel. Only an experienced skipper can do that. How could you have been informed by "email or something" of what local conditions would be on that day?

Travel is what you make of it. I think that travellers with a different attitude would have reported the same experience this way: "Teckk tours takes good care of its customers. We were disappointed when we arrived at ISP to find that the skipper judged it was too foggy for the boat to go out, but Teckk offered us a bear watching tour instead and that was a great experience. Although we had to bounce over a bunch of bumpy logging roads, we were rewarded with THREE bears! I would recommend Teckk as a caring local company that takes care of its customers instead of leaving them with no tour whatsoever."

Stuff happens. Attitude is everything.

Last September I went flightseeing to Misty Fiords in Ketchikan, whale watching in Juneau, & the train in Skagway. May 2010 I have already booked another whale watch in Juneau & rented a car in Skagway. I love Alaska, & plan on a trip inland again in 2011.

What flightseeing excursion did you take in Ketchican and with who? We are going Sept 13, how was the weather and visibility on the flight?

Thanks for the info.

Archived