Inverness / Invergordon

Hello, we'll be sailing in August on the Crown Princess and are trying to book our tours on our own (cheaper !!!)

Does anyone know the taxi fare or the cheapest way to get to the Loch Ness on your own from the pier of Inverness / Invergordon ?

Thanks for giving us any tidbit of info.

Luc

Contact this group of local volunteers to ask any questions you have about sightseeing from Invergordon - especially if you want to DIY.

http://www.visitinvergordon.com/

They are area residents who set up a booth at the exit to the pier on cruise ship arrival days and are very friendly and helpful.

If you contact them in advance, they can tell you where to find to the bus and train scheds from Invergordon into Inverness online so you can plan your timing.

It's easy to get from Inverness to Loch Ness - lots of tours etc available - suggest you look at/contact the Inverness Tourist Office for that info.

http://www.inverness-scotland.com/

If you are Inverness you can catch a boat trip down the canal and into Loch Ness. I think most of then also visit urquhart castle before returning to Inverness. My wife and I did this a few years back and thoroughly enjoyed it.

If you are Inverness you can catch a boat trip down the canal and into Loch Ness. I think most of then also visit urquhart castle before returning to Inverness. My wife and I did this a few years back and thoroughly enjoyed it.

What was the name of the company that did this boat tour?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I went to the site for Jacobite and now I'm unsure. I like the cruise from Inverness to Loch Ness with the stop to see Urquhart Castle ruins.

We dock in Invergordon. Is this doable? and if so, how would we go about getting to Clansman Harbour?

I went to the site for Jacobite and now I'm unsure. I like the cruise from Inverness to Loch Ness with the stop to see Urquhart Castle ruins.

We dock in Invergordon. Is this doable? and if so, how would we go about getting to Clansman Harbour?

Hi - We are on the same cruise!! We were really interested in this tour but the problem was getting from Invergordon to Inverness on time to catch the Jacobite boat. Jacobite will pick you up at the bus station in Inverness and there is a local bus that runs from Invergordon to Inverness, but it left too late to get to the Inverness bus station on time. Also, the wonderful folks at the Invergordon Tourist Alliance said that the bus would be packed with cruisers. So, we checked into a cab and the cost was £60-00 each way. (It may be cheaper for four, we were asking about a rate for six passengers). The taxi company that gave us the rate had tours leaving from the dock that went to Loch Ness, Urquhart Castle, Inverness, Colluden, and Cowdor Castle - so we booked that! If you want more info, just let me know on our roll call page.

Hi - We are on the same cruise!! We were really interested in this tour but the problem was getting from Invergordon to Inverness on time to catch the Jacobite boat. Jacobite will pick you up at the bus station in Inverness and there is a local bus that runs from Invergordon to Inverness, but it left too late to get to the Inverness bus station on time. Also, the wonderful folks at the Invergordon Tourist Alliance said that the bus would be packed with cruisers. So, we checked into a cab and the cost was £60-00 each way. (It may be cheaper for four, we were asking about a rate for six passengers). The taxi company that gave us the rate had tours leaving from the dock that went to Loch Ness, Urquhart Castle, Inverness, Colluden, and Cowdor Castle - so we booked that! If you want more info, just let me know on our roll call page.

We are on a different cruise, but will dock at Invergordon on a different day. Will you please send me the e-mail for the cab company so I can check it out?

Thanks,

Bonnie

More info pls. on the tour for Invergordon. We are on the Crown Princess also for Aug 22 sailing

We are on a different cruise, but will dock at Invergordon on a different day. Will you please send me the e-mail for the cab company so I can check it out?

Thanks,

Bonnie

Hi Bonnie - Here is the information on the Invergordon Tour:

The Taxi Tour Experience - www.thetaxitourexperience.co.uk

Loch Ness Tour -

Leave the port of Invergordon (0900 - 0915)

Beauly & House of Beauly.

Loch Ness & Urquhart Castle.

City of Inverness (1 hour approx)

Culloden Battlefield Centre.

Cawdor Castle.

Return to Invergordon.

We are on the July 17 sailing so we can give a tour review once we return home. The email address for the tour is also the email address for the cab company.

Have a great cruise!

• 7 months later...
How did the Taxi tour go? We are on the same cruise this year. Aug 4. Crown Princess.

Instead of the tour, I would rent a car for the day or hire a car & driver. This tour was extremely rushed and we did not have enough time at any of the destinations.

We had about 15 minutes in Beauly (could have used another 15 minutes).

Loch Ness and Urquhart Castle were fantastic, but we were only there for such a short time. We were able to watch the video on the castle (don’t miss this) and to jog down to the castle itself. The area is beautiful and could have spent a couple of hours just walking around. Also, it was very crowded with a lot of tourist. We had the Historic Scotland Pass and were able to bypass the long ticket lines.

City of Inverness was nice. We opted to walk around downtown and the main shopping street, getting a take out lunch from Marks & Spencer (ate on the bus). Most of our tour group went to lunch and did not have time to walk around the city.

Culloden – Just drove by the site.

Cowdor Castle – There was not enough time at this stop and we did not go into the castle. We walked around the outside grounds. Our bus mates waited in line longer than they spent inside the castle.

This area of Scotland is beautiful. When we visit again, we will rent a car.

Archived