It's a "GLORIOUS" day in Glacier Bay, had a Crakin' good time Spirit 9/7/10 review

Koval

Those on this Sailing will understand the wording in the thread title.

By the time I finish, you all will know what I am talking about.

Starting with Seattle, who cares about the flight, we all have had them, and nothing new or different about ours.

Easy Peasy...

We had booked the Red Roof Inn near the air port, as I am cheap, and only needed a clean bed.

So we will start there, the rooms were very Clean, and nice.

It is NOT a luxury hotel, but for $60 total per room (2 queens)

what else do you need.

It did have free internet, but I was on Vac. no computer.

Although they do have one in the lobby.

Nice place to stay if your just sleeping, if you want to see the sights, not so much

as there is nothing there, it is at the airport. We did walk a mile to the Safeway for Pop and Wine...

Safeway has a very good selection of Wines, for those who like wine.

Our Room at the Red Roof, and the view was not bad either. (Sorry, the Photos were taken after we had used the room)

there is a Denney's about 3 blocks from the Inn, and they do offer room service, and have coffee, and maybe some danish in the mornings, I only checked out the coffee machine.

if you like, the instant lattes and mocha's you can get at the local gas station,

they have that type of Coffee machine.

Not bad, but the coffee at Denny's was good.

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

Because we decided to stay at the Airport, we needed to get to the Pier in the AM.

We used Nelson Shuttle, they were great.

We had been booked into the Best Western, before I found the deal at the Red Roof

We also had friends at the BW.

I kept changing the Shuttle route and # of Pax on Nelson, and they took it in stride

First we had 4 going from the BW,

then 6 from the BW

then 4 from the RR, and 2 from the BW

then 6 from RR and 2 from BW...

I would highly recommend them the next time you need a ride in Seattle

very friendly family owed type shuttle company.

Airport to pier was $12.50 PP

I have to work today, so I will try to get to Embarkation at Lunch, so I hope to see you all then...

Just stopping by to say hello and hijack your thread! Hehehehe

Marie - thank you for jumping in and becoming group leader on this trip. The hubby and I had an UNBELIEVABLE time!!! Words do not do Alaska justice....so for anyone who has ever had an inkling of wanting to go - DO IT! It is worth every penny. The ship is beautiful, God blessed us with some OUTSTANDING weather and the scenary and natural surroundings is something everyone has to see to appreciate!

As soon as my laptop wants to cooperate, I will get started on editing some of my 1700+ pics and post a few of my favorites. :)

Great review so far Marie! I am at the edge of my seat waiting for more! Time to break out the popcorn for this one! :)

Sorry for not get to it at Lunch, had a computer problem, not to mention a Parent problem LOL

Meaning my Dad needed help with getting some IRS stuff printed.

So the popcorn will have to wait till the morning.

Sounds great so far, but I have one question. Why the pic of the bathroom:confused:. lol

Can't wait for the rest of the review.

Because it looked nice and new, for the most part.

Hardwood floors, new paint, and pretty picture...

It was pretty nice for $51 +tax

Just stopping by to say hello and hijack your thread! Hehehehe

Marie - thank you for jumping in and becoming group leader on this trip. The hubby and I had an UNBELIEVABLE time!!! Words do not do Alaska justice....so for anyone who has ever had an inkling of wanting to go - DO IT! It is worth every penny. The ship is beautiful, God blessed us with some OUTSTANDING weather and the scenary and natural surroundings is something everyone has to see to appreciate!

As soon as my laptop wants to cooperate, I will get started on editing some of my 1700+ pics and post a few of my favorites. :)

Hi Shelly, did you have as much trouble knowing who was who (as in names) as I did on this cruise...

I would see people, but not remember their names...

I have to work on that for my Looney's Cruise.

And you are welcome about the leader role, but we all must thank Reggie,

he sure put in a good amount of time putting together those Tours.

and you are not hijacking, feel free to post your review and pics here or a new one.

It's all good

Lisa, It was not as cold as I thought it was going to be.

For the most part it was low 60's

In Glacier Bay it was colder, but the sun was out, and beautiful Or should I say "GLORIOUS"

I did see one or two people in shorts, but most had hats and gloves.

Might have been 45-50 in Glacier bay.

Lori, it was Beautiful, and we had a great time.

Hi Phil, I hope I can do it justice...Maybe with some photos :D

So, Nelson shuttle gets us to the Pier at about 11:30ish

as we enter there is no line to speak of, but we are ask to wait just a moment.

They were still getting the cattle lines in order.

After about a 2 min. wait, we got in the cattle line, and mosy'd on through as though we were in a line at Disneyland.

Never really coming to a full stop that I remember, until we got to the desk.

That was painless too

Then off to show my wine to the guy checking wine.

Mine was wrapped in plastic, because I had it in my checked luggage on the plane...

so the guy was trying to read something on the bottle through the plastic.

Maybe the amount of wine in the bottle, but you would think he would know just by looking.

I offered to take off the plastic, but he just handed it back, and off we went.

Did the "Photo" and Yea, we were now on board, and headed for the Lido deck for lunch.

Not very crowded, plenty to eat, and plenty of seating

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

Marie, so far looking great. I may end up in Alaska thru your eyes. I can't wait for more.

Cathy, you need a FB page, The photos are easier to load there :o I have about 150 loaded at the moment

I will put the best ones here. I took over 1000 :eek:

Now I really want to go next year.

You should have come this time!

It is very lovely...

although Oregon is so very Beautiful, allot of Alaska, this time of year reminded me of Home.

I am blessed to live in a place as Beautiful as I do.

We had some lunch on the Lido deck, I do not remember what I had...

I think I was to excited to eat.

But the rest of the gang hit the sandwich station.

It must have been good, as Chelle went there more than once during the cruise.

For some reason, and Chelle being on Antibiotics, we never did have a DOD :eek:

I think because we were in a colder climate, maybe cause Chelle couldn't I didn't who knows,

but hey we didn't miss them on the Sail and Sign card ;)

Speaking of Sail and Sign Cards, when you bring your husband,

you have to pay allot more at the end of the cruise, then if you just go with your Sister :eek:

I'll show more on that later :D What a shopper :o

After Lunch, around 1:15, we decided to see if we really had to wait til 1:30 for our Cabin,

so wondered down to deck 5, and low an behold they were ready for us.

Checked it out...

my first Balcony "SWEET",

not Suite :D and it was great. That extra little bit of room sure is nice.

Looks like nick is ready for his first nap on a Carnival Fun Ship in the last photo.

As you can see these are your basic first "I have a Balcony Cabin" Photos ;)

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

It really was glorious weather, wasn't it? We were in an aft cabin on deck 5. Our next door neighbor was able to keep his video camera running all day long on the balcony, so I imagine he has quite a bit of editing to do.

DH was one of the knuckleheads in shorts while in Glacier Bay. In fact, he wore shorts each day, even as we did our twenty laps on deck 10. :rolleyes: It was warm, but not that warm. Ketchikan was the only day that I stripped down to a t-shirt.

As an aside, this was my 9th Carnival cruise, and by far the best food that I've been served yet...and we never ate in the MDR.

It really was glorious weather, wasn't it? We were in an aft cabin on deck 5. Our next door neighbor was able to keep his video camera running all day long on the balcony, so I imagine he has quite a bit of editing to do.

DH was one of the knuckleheads in shorts while in Glacier Bay. In fact, he wore shorts each day, even as we did our twenty laps on deck 10. :rolleyes: It was warm, but not that warm. Ketchikan was the only day that I stripped down to a t-shirt.

As an aside, this was my 9th Carnival cruise, and by far the best food that I've been served yet...and we never ate in the MDR.

So did you pick up on the "Glorious" Day...It was magnificent weather, all but Juneau...and that was not terrible by any means.

I just think maybe a thesaurus would come in handy for the Ranger doing all the "Glorious talking" in Glacier Bay.

:eek: So your DH was the one in shorts, I didn't take his Photo, but my friend I think did.

We had great meals, only once in the MDR for lunch,

were we disappointed, the hamburgers were better on the Lido deck.

The DH was served a dried out burger with cold fries, and no ketchup.

We were seated at a long table for 12 and at least 1/2 had the burger and fries, all not looking very happy.

Then asking for Mustard and Ketchup, you would have thought we asked for something odd.

And instead of bringing it for the whole table, nope only one little cup of mustard, sent back for the Ketchup, and this went on till the fries were ready to be tossed in the Bay, and call icebergs...they were that cold :D

If ever you go on the Glacier bay Sailing, and they say, now we are sailing to the Next finger to see another Glacier, plenty of time to go get some lunch.

DO NOT, I repete DO NOT, go to the MDR for lunch

This is the day you eat on the Lido deck.

because soon as your order has been taken, and you feel as though you shouldn't leave, you hear

"Isn't it a "Glorious" Day in Glacier Bay,

now that you have had your lunch, come back out side and see the most Glorious Glacier of all...

And there you sit, waiting for the slowest ever service,

(I am sure it was not that slow, we just wanted to be on the lido deck,

not 3 people in from a widow facing the wrong way!)

for the not so great burger and iceberg Fries, and heaven forbid,

you wait even longer for that eclair you remember was so wonderful 2 years ago

on the very same ship in the very same MDR.. :eek:

Just don't go there on the "Glorious day" in Glacier Bay

Our other visit to the MDR for Lunch was great.

Never did make it for a formal Breakfast this time, maybe Jan. On the Liberty I will have time.

She was just a tad repetitive. ;)

My favorite announcement, by far, was from the Captain when he spotted the whales and Michelle was nowhere to be found. There she blows! That's a man that loves his job. DH is the guy in my avatar, so if the picture is of him, he's the knucklehead. :D

I think she was hungry or her former job was in a bakery.

The tops of the mountains are like Muffins and so on...

I think there might have been a reference to powdered sugar :p,

I don't remember all she said, but I was getting hungry listening :D

I shouldn't make fun, she was very informative,

but I will also say, I was glad when she said she would stop talking so we could hear and enjoy the Glaciers...

I thought Michelle did a very good job, but you are right, I was out on my Balcony, hoping to see something (Wrong side of the ship at the time)

When I heard the Capt., and yes, that was great!

What I also loved was the crew still coming out in amazement with their Cameras...

for the Whales, Dolphins, and the Glaciers...

I will be back tonight with more of the review, off to see the new baby...

I will interject here that my brother and his wife ate in the MDR while in Glacier Bay. They said they were about the third or fourth group to be seated (they arrived just before opening to get in line) and they said the service was just awful that day. It took forever and the food was not great. I ate the buffet a little late and had a great view and the crowds had already finished eating. My theory is that I saw lots of crew (deck 3) taking pictures and taking in the sights so food service may have been a bit off for lunch.

I did not eat in the MDR for breakfast or lunch at all during this cruise (menu was not that exciting) so I have no frame of reference but they were not at all happy with it GB day.

I think my brother was in shorts at some point too :eek:

Jen in SoCal

So did you pick up on the "Glorious" Day...It was magnificent weather, all but Juneau...and that was not terrible by any means.

I just think maybe a thesaurus would come in handy for the Ranger doing all the "Glorious talking" in Glacier Bay.

:eek: So your DH was the one in shorts, I didn't take his Photo, but my friend I think did.

We had great meals, only once in the MDR for lunch,

were we disappointed, the hamburgers were better on the Lido deck.

The DH was served a dried out burger with cold fries, and no ketchup.

We were seated at a long table for 12 and at least 1/2 had the burger and fries, all not looking very happy.

Then asking for Mustard and Ketchup, you would have thought we asked for something odd.

And instead of bringing it for the whole table, nope only one little cup of mustard, sent back for the Ketchup, and this went on till the fries were ready to be tossed in the Bay, and call icebergs...they were that cold :D

If ever you go on the Glacier bay Sailing, and they say, now we are sailing to the Next finger to see another Glacier, plenty of time to go get some lunch.

DO NOT, I repete DO NOT, go to the MDR for lunch

This is the day you eat on the Lido deck.

because soon as your order has been taken, and you feel as though you shouldn't leave, you hear

"Isn't it a "Glorious" Day in Glacier Bay,

now that you have had your lunch, come back out side and see the most Glorious Glacier of all...

And there you sit, waiting for the slowest ever service,

(I am sure it was not that slow, we just wanted to be on the lido deck,

not 3 people in from a widow facing the wrong way!)

for the not so great burger and iceberg Fries, and heaven forbid,

you wait even longer for that eclair you remember was so wonderful 2 years ago

on the very same ship in the very same MDR.. :eek:

Just don't go there on the "Glorious day" in Glacier Bay

Our other visit to the MDR for Lunch was great.

Never did make it for a formal Breakfast this time, maybe Jan. On the Liberty I will have time.

I am so sorry for being gone all day, man it is tough coming home from a cruise

All of a sudden you have to "do Life" again:eek:

And once again, I work tomorrow all day.

I hope Monday, the DH will go to work, my Parents will be on there way, and I will be better about getting this review done, at least on it's way to the Bay :D.

Sail away and the "Drill" coming up next ;)

After putting our carry on's in the cabin,

we went up to the Lido deck Aft of course to meet with some of the Roll call and Official Groups.

It was a Beautiful day in Seattle, I was afraid it would be the last of the Great weather,

I was pleasantly surprised as the week went on.

Not everyone came to the Mini Meet and Greet, but we were there, and ready to met those who came

Reggie, a TA with his own group, the "leader" basically of the Roll call had made some tour arrangements,

the Sail Away get together, our Meet and Greet, The Skagway and Vancouver tours I will talk about later.

(Highlights of my mom and dad's cruise for sure)

As for the drill, it was still held outside, no vest though, and under cover of the Balconies for the most part. we went to the Stations, listened, and poof it was over

Easy peasy again, now off to find more food...Kidding...:D

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

Archived