Inspiration Bed Bugs

cwagner99

I don't want to start a panic but thought there are some that would like to have the information. I was watching the 11pm Tampa news last night just 7 days before my very first cruise on the Inspiration. There was a couple that took a recent cruise on the Inspiration and was telling of bed bugs in the cabin. There a video clip of one crawling on a robe. I have not searched for the news story online but it was on News Channel 8 and their website is tbo.com

Apparently they feel that Carnival didn't respond appropriately enough. Carnival said the cabin was inspected and no infestation was found. But that video kinda freaked me out a little bit. It looked exactly as they are shown and described on tv.

Still looking forward to my cruise but now will take extra precautions with clothing and luggage. Never a bad thing.

I haven't posted much here but have certainly been lurking and gathering information for a while. I appreciate all the info that has helped with planning my trip so thanks to all who post here and help us newbies.

Carnival, and every other cruise line, is very careful about such things. I'd expect that if there were bedbugs in their cabin they brought them on board with them.

If they found ONE insect (not even sure it was a bed bug...) that certainly doesn't indicate an infestation but more that it was imported, so to speak...

:)

Just my $.02....

Don't worry - Be Happy! Carnival (and any other reputable establishment providing sleep quarters to folks, ships, hotels, etc.) would be sure to get on this right away if it were a problem. Big money to be lost if they didn't.

just got off the ship yesterday and no bedbugs, sorry.

Prior to the Inspiration cruise, I had only cruised on Disney. I was prepared to be overly critical of everything.

My cabin was SO clean, it was almost sterile.

I had a great time and came away with nothing but praise!

Since the Inspiration will be moving west in a year, I need to book a few more cruises soon!

Thanks for the reassurances. An interesting tip they gave was to leave your luggage in a hot car in the sun and let it get up to 120 degrees and it will kill anything you may bring home from a hotel. If I survived a trip to New York City this summer with no bugs I can do it anywhere.

I saw the video, someone posted it on our roll call.

I'm still going darnit!!! Fire or bugs will NOT KEEP ME AWAY!! but I have to

agree with the others, Carnival would be on that like flies on S$^#$T. :D:rolleyes:

Thanks for the reassurances. An interesting tip they gave was to leave your luggage in a hot car in the sun and let it get up to 120 degrees and it will kill anything you may bring home from a hotel. If I survived a trip to New York City this summer with no bugs I can do it anywhere.

Doesn't make a bit of sense to me as it takes quite awhile for heat to kill all bedbugs. Sounds like a normal "news" report" found on local TV. At least around here, more sensationalism and worthless "tips" that are normally not correct.

I am a hotel manager and can tell you that the media has made guests very paranoid about bed bugs. Anything a guest sees they think is a bed bug now. Trust me, the staff is trained on inspecting the rooms for bed bugs every time they clean, and if they had found something they would have immediately treated the room. If there were bed bugs in your room you would have had bites all over your body (arms, legs, etc.) not just a few on your scalp. I can tell you from experience that guests are confusing all sorts of normal critters (beatles, stink bugs, etc) for bed bugs. 20% refund sounds like fair compensation to me based on what you have reported.

Fellow cruisers, there is no magic spray for bed bugs. My best recommendation for frequent travellers is to purchase an item called a Packtite. Unfortunately, it's on backorder right now, due to a huge demand. You put your suitcase inside it and it heats up, killing any bugs that might have "hitched a ride".

http://www.packtite.com/

Doesn't make a bit of sense to me as it takes quite awhile for heat to kill all bedbugs. Sounds like a normal "news" report" found on local TV. At least around here, more sensationalism and worthless "tips" that are normally not correct.

Actually it is a very good plan, because the heat kills them better than anything else. I would imagine the luggage would need to be in the hot car for a couple of hours to make sure it reached a temp that would kill them. The libraries with bugs in their books, have them sealed and heated, as well, and one of the tools is putting all of the clothing in the dryer, so the florida sun should work in much the same way.

This isn't so far-fetched. Just google "Carnival bedbugs".

It happens... At least it seems to.

Of course it happens, it happens in even the very best hotels. With the thousands of passengers staying at hotels and then staying in cabins I would be more surprised if it didn't happen.

I know whenever I stay in a hotel the first thing I do is check the seams in the box springs before I even bring anything into the room.

I am a hotel manager and can tell you that the media has made guests very paranoid about bed bugs. Anything a guest sees they think is a bed bug now. Trust me, the staff is trained on inspecting the rooms for bed bugs every time they clean, and if they had found something they would have immediately treated the room. If there were bed bugs in your room you would have had bites all over your body (arms, legs, etc.) not just a few on your scalp. I can tell you from experience that guests are confusing all sorts of normal critters (beatles, stink bugs, etc) for bed bugs. 20% refund sounds like fair compensation to me based on what you have reported.

I agree. I think Carnival was more than fair by refunding the 20% and I am not a "cheerleader":rolleyes: I don't think they had bedbugs at all because you are right they would have had numerous tiny bites and scabs if they had. One bite on their head could have been anything, or nothing at all.

Fellow cruisers, there is no magic spray for bed bugs. My best recommendation for frequent travellers is to purchase an item called a Packtite. Unfortunately, it's on backorder right now, due to a huge demand. You put your suitcase inside it and it heats up, killing any bugs that might have "hitched a ride".

http://www.packtite.com/

$300+ - I don't think so. You can do it yourself for a lot cheaper. There a lot more parasites out there than just bedbugs, many of whom are 2 legged varieties.

If you want your own bedbug detection kit buy some double sided carpet tape and put it down in likely spots - like parts of a bed where you won't roll over on it or it closets or wherever.

You'll find out soon enough if there are any critters to deal with.

I found this on MSNBC ....http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12133597/ns/dateline_nbc-dont_let_the_bed_bugs_bite

If you are traveling, always inspect your mattress for bed bugs by pulling back the covers and looking carefully at the seams and tufts for bed bugs or bed bug evidences (black fecal spots).

This is a good Q&A article.

I work in a large medical center and we have had bedbugs. The rooms that were affected were first treated with chemicals and when that failed they were heat treated. Bed Bugs are now a fact of life as unpleasant as it sounds.

Carnival sounds like that take reasonable precautions but life happens!

In2why and westmich have the right idea.

I'm sorry, but Sargent's idea of double-sided tape, probably wouldn't work.

A less expensive idea in treating luggage is to use duffle bags that can be put in the dryer. As soon as you arrive home, head straight to the laundry room. 30 minutes of high heat will kill them.

Archived