Harrison's Caves, Bathsheba, Crane Beach and Resort

VirtualRain

Just a quick note to outline what we did for an enjoyable day in Barbados in case others are interested in something similar.

We rented a car from Stoutes Car Rental http://www.stoutescar.com/ which I would recommend. They are right at the pier and provided good service. $75 per day with taxes/permit (sans CDW) for a Mini Moke.

If you do rent a car, I'd recommend bringing your own portable GPS or have a navigator that's good with a map. The roads in Barbados are a windy maze and it's easy to get on the wrong path.

We went to Harrison's Caves which is spectacular as far as caves go. Although, I wasn't thrilled with the "tour". The only way you can see the caves is in a guided tour that takes you on an electric tram through the caverns. This can be good if you are mobility challenged, but it sucks for folks like me who prefer to do things at their own pace. I found the tour a bit rushed and frustrated that I couldn't setup my camera on a tripod to capture some of the great images that could have been had down there. Anyway, other than the Disneyland like amusement park ride aspect, it was an incredible site. The cost is high at $30 per person which must be the special pricing for cruise day because the price posted on the website is $50BDS ($25 USD).

Next we drove over to Bathsheba on the east coast and home to some cool rock formations on the beach including Mushroom rock. Definitely worth a visit.

Then we headed south to Crane Beach, which is ranked as one of the top 10 beaches in the world by at least one publication. It was spectacular to be sure, but even better was the Crane resort next door which welcomed us for drinks/lunch at the Carraige House which overlooks the ocean and spectacular pool area. Parking was free and once on the grounds, you are treated just like a guest.

We then headed back to the ship and I was wary of getting stuck in late afternoon traffic so asked for some routing advice from a taxi driver at the resort before we departed. It's super important that you plot a route that skirts downtown Bridgetown. If you are coming from the south as we were, the cruise ship is on the opposite side of town and crossing through downtown Bridgetown at 4PM is suicide. Look at taking a route the gets you north of Bridgetown before you hit the town core.

Overall, I would caution that driving in Barbados requires someone who's a good driver, quick thinker and has good navigational aids. It's not for the casual tourist. Alternatives to driving include public buses which are apparently excellent ways to get around and very affordable.

Archived