Carnival Fascination March 28th - April 2nd

Carnival Fascination – A General Review

March 28th – April 2nd 2011

To Begin With: This is (was) my 8th Carnival Cruise and rather than providing a finitely detailed review of my cruise experience I have composed a rather general and perhaps narrowly specific review of my experience on the Carnival Fascination that occurred on March 28th – April 2nd 2011.

Pre-Cruise: My Wife and I traveled to Jacksonville from the Tampa Bay area leaving two days prior on Saturday, March 26th. We initially set off for the Ocala National Forest and hiked through one of the many nature trails. We have always enjoyed camping and since we have discovered cruising we have not spent too much time hiking and such so we gave this a try. Aside from some scrub brush and sand, nothing more was really seen or experience so we moved along towards Jacksonville were I had already booked a pre-cruise hotel – Jacksonville Plaza Hotel & Suites.

Jacksonville Plaza Hotel & Suites: Not a bad place, but not a top-notch “hotel” either. In fact, the Jax-Plaza is actually an older Microtel with their typical “micro” rooms that to me are perhaps just a bit smaller than our cruise ship suites. They also supplied a bare-bones breakfast in a “micro” eating area that was more like a Euro-style kitchen than a sit down eating area. Be that as it may, the Jax-Plaza’s park and cruise offer met our needs as we were able to save $$$ by parking at the hotel lot for free and be shuttled to/from JaxPort via the VIP shuttle service that was also provided too.

JaxPort: A rather simple and oversized metal tool shed (it’s much LARGER than a tool shed) type of construction that served it’s purpose very well although I can imagine that it may be more of a sweat box during the hotter months. The speed of getting through the line from start to finish was at best nominal, however as soon as you have you sail and sign cards in hand the JaxPort experience is quickly replaced by your entry onto the ship itself.

The Carnival Fascination: Sparing you the details of the ships décor and such, I found the Fascination to be in typical Carnival fashion and style, that being clean, efficiently run, and meeting all of the standards associated with a Carnival “Fantasy Class” ship. I was a bit disappointed with the Cruise Director – Trevor Block to be a bit sparse and not actively involved in many of the ships events and such. More often than not the Assistant Cruise Director participated and/or made many of the announcements during the cruise.

Food-Fun-Shows: I found food to be the usual Carnival fare that was very-very good and certainly not to be missed, except if you’re on a hunger strike J per se, but of high quality and well prepared. There was of course a variety of different (and the usual) fun activities including of course the men’s hairy chest contest, mixology challenge, and several trivia style contests. One thing that was missing was a Lido Deck sail away party; perhaps as it was just a bit overcast and misty. There were two comics aboard that quite frankly really were not that great; you needed to drink a lot more in order for the laughs to arrive. The two “big” shows were the 80’s – not over yet and “Hey Mambo” both that I’ve seen before on other ships but were still well performed.

Key West: Oddly enough, I chose this cruise because of the Key West stop not because I wanted to really go there, but rather that I did not want to drive for several hours from home in the Tampa Bay area. Turns out I was right as for me, Key West was pretty much just an island of bars for drunks. We did of course do the usual touristy things such as taking the City Trolley (hop on/off), toured the Hemmingway house and saw 44 cats that about half are polydactyl (6-toed), and visited the “winter” White House. Although we arrived at 0730 hours, we “had” to shove off at 1500 (3PM) as apparently all cruise ships must leave by then so as not to block the view of the sunset from the residents and visiting tourists.

Nassau: I’m not a big fan of Nassau or the overrated Atlantis for that matter so we took advantage of leaving the ship early and then quickly head to the “jitney stop” area (by the straw market on Bay Street) got onto jitney/bus #10 and headed to the Wyndham Hotel down on Cable Beach that is around 15-minutes away. We bought a day pass for $40 (per person) that included use of the beach, pool, chairs, towels, and a rather large and very nice buffet lunch (we ate way too much). We were there for several hours before going back to the ship. I spoke to another couple who also went to the Wyndham later on in the day and were able to get a day pass for just $20 (per) that DID NOT include the buffet. Also in port that day was the Carnival Fantasy (that does not have the add on balcony suites), the Queen Victoria (a VERY BIG ship), and an NCL ship.

Overall: Yet another great Carnival cruise on another great Carnival ship. Next up on the list is the Carnival Valor that sets sail on July 3rd in Miami for 7-days through the Eastern Caribbean so perhaps we’ll meet again!

Thanks fot the review. On this specific itinerary, the ship needs to leave Key West early because of the distance it needs to cover to make it to Nassau at a decent time the following day (12pm).

On this specific itinerary, the ship needs to leave Key West early because of the distance it needs to cover to make it to Nassau at a decent time the following day (12pm).
Perhaps so, but as the OP alluded to, there is an ordinance on the books in KW that mandates cruise ships must vacate the Mallory Square Pier no later than two hours prior to sunset

Perhaps so, but as the OP alluded to, there is an ordinance on the books in KW that mandates cruise ships must vacate the Mallory Square Pier no later than two hours prior to sunset

I'm not sure about that. I have been on multiple cruises that have docked at Mallory Square and stayed well past sunset, as far back as 1996. In fact, I picked a specific itinerary because the ship stayed in Key West until 10pm (and, yes, we docked at Mallory Square that time as well).

Carnival has some reverse itineraries scheduled for this winter that call in Key West last and stay there until 8pm. Unless the ship will be docking at the Navy Pier, they wont be fulfilling the ordinance that you mention.

Royal Caribbean schedules the Majesty of the Seas to stay in Key West until 6pm and they always dock at Mallory Square, even during the winter months (when sunset is substantially earlier). This means that they would not fulfill the ordinance that you mention either.

Thanks for the review. I am getting excited about my first cruise which will be on the Fascination in 26 days. We are also booked at the Jacksonville Plaza Hotel. I was worred about our choice of hotels but decided it was just a place to sleep and park and should be fine. Your review has eased my mind somewhat. Did you find the shuttle efficient, timely and free to and from the port?

Thanks for the review. I am getting excited about my first cruise which will be on the Fascination in 26 days. We are also booked at the Jacksonville Plaza Hotel. I was worred about our choice of hotels but decided it was just a place to sleep and park and should be fine. Your review has eased my mind somewhat. Did you find the shuttle efficient, timely and free to and from the port?

Hi! Have you joined the roll call for the cruise yet?

Thanks for the review. We were on the Fascination last October will be back on her next month (can't wait !! )..

BTW - I had the same impression of Trevor Block as you did... I wouldn't have known him if I bumped into him, I only heard him making the odd announcement .. did see Squishy around though......

Carnival Fascination – A General Review

March 28th – April 2nd 2011

To Begin With: This is (was) my 8th Carnival Cruise and rather than providing a finitely detailed review of my cruise experience I have composed a rather general and perhaps narrowly specific review of my experience on the Carnival Fascination that occurred on March 28th – April 2nd 2011.

Pre-Cruise: My Wife and I traveled to Jacksonville from the Tampa Bay area leaving two days prior on Saturday, March 26th. We initially set off for the Ocala National Forest and hiked through one of the many nature trails. We have always enjoyed camping and since we have discovered cruising we have not spent too much time hiking and such so we gave this a try. Aside from some scrub brush and sand, nothing more was really seen or experience so we moved along towards Jacksonville were I had already booked a pre-cruise hotel – Jacksonville Plaza Hotel & Suites.

Jacksonville Plaza Hotel & Suites: Not a bad place, but not a top-notch “hotel” either. In fact, the Jax-Plaza is actually an older Microtel with their typical “micro” rooms that to me are perhaps just a bit smaller than our cruise ship suites. They also supplied a bare-bones breakfast in a “micro” eating area that was more like a Euro-style kitchen than a sit down eating area. Be that as it may, the Jax-Plaza’s park and cruise offer met our needs as we were able to save $$$ by parking at the hotel lot for free and be shuttled to/from JaxPort via the VIP shuttle service that was also provided too.

JaxPort: A rather simple and oversized metal tool shed (it’s much LARGER than a tool shed) type of construction that served it’s purpose very well although I can imagine that it may be more of a sweat box during the hotter months. The speed of getting through the line from start to finish was at best nominal, however as soon as you have you sail and sign cards in hand the JaxPort experience is quickly replaced by your entry onto the ship itself.

The Carnival Fascination: Sparing you the details of the ships décor and such, I found the Fascination to be in typical Carnival fashion and style, that being clean, efficiently run, and meeting all of the standards associated with a Carnival “Fantasy Class” ship. I was a bit disappointed with the Cruise Director – Trevor Block to be a bit sparse and not actively involved in many of the ships events and such. More often than not the Assistant Cruise Director participated and/or made many of the announcements during the cruise.

Food-Fun-Shows: I found food to be the usual Carnival fare that was very-very good and certainly not to be missed, except if you’re on a hunger strike J per se, but of high quality and well prepared. There was of course a variety of different (and the usual) fun activities including of course the men’s hairy chest contest, mixology challenge, and several trivia style contests. One thing that was missing was a Lido Deck sail away party; perhaps as it was just a bit overcast and misty. There were two comics aboard that quite frankly really were not that great; you needed to drink a lot more in order for the laughs to arrive. The two “big” shows were the 80’s – not over yet and “Hey Mambo” both that I’ve seen before on other ships but were still well performed.

Key West: Oddly enough, I chose this cruise because of the Key West stop not because I wanted to really go there, but rather that I did not want to drive for several hours from home in the Tampa Bay area. Turns out I was right as for me, Key West was pretty much just an island of bars for drunks. We did of course do the usual touristy things such as taking the City Trolley (hop on/off), toured the Hemmingway house and saw 44 cats that about half are polydactyl (6-toed), and visited the “winter” White House. Although we arrived at 0730 hours, we “had” to shove off at 1500 (3PM) as apparently all cruise ships must leave by then so as not to block the view of the sunset from the residents and visiting tourists.

Nassau: I’m not a big fan of Nassau or the overrated Atlantis for that matter so we took advantage of leaving the ship early and then quickly head to the “jitney stop” area (by the straw market on Bay Street) got onto jitney/bus #10 and headed to the Wyndham Hotel down on Cable Beach that is around 15-minutes away. We bought a day pass for $40 (per person) that included use of the beach, pool, chairs, towels, and a rather large and very nice buffet lunch (we ate way too much). We were there for several hours before going back to the ship. I spoke to another couple who also went to the Wyndham later on in the day and were able to get a day pass for just $20 (per) that DID NOT include the buffet. Also in port that day was the Carnival Fantasy (that does not have the add on balcony suites), the Queen Victoria (a VERY BIG ship), and an NCL ship.

Overall: Yet another great Carnival cruise on another great Carnival ship. Next up on the list is the Carnival Valor that sets sail on July 3rd in Miami for 7-days through the Eastern Caribbean so perhaps we’ll meet again!

We were also on the this cruise and agree with the OP on most things.

Jaxport: 45 minutes drop off to ship.Not bad.

Ship:Very clean and nice for her age.

Trevor:Had his family on board so maybe he was spending some time with them.

Entertainment: Agree 100% with Shotojuku.especially the comedians.

ShotoJuku: You sound like you are getting a little board with one line.We did with RCCL and that why we started cruising CCL.You might try a change.

May I ask what time you docked back in Jacksonville and what general time you got off the ship ?

TIA

The ship arrived about 6:30 and started self disembarkation about 8.We did it our self and was off the ship adout 8:30.Customs was a breeze.

ShotoJuku: You sound like you are getting a little board with one line.We did with RCCL and that why we started cruising CCL.You might try a change.

Board? Not a chance - I'm a Loyal Carnival Fan and plan (hope to) sail on many (if not every) ship in the CCL fleet.

Next month will be my 5th time on the Fascination and the last 4 times, Trevor has always been an elusive CD. I don't think it mattered that his family was on board.

He mainly graces us with his presence before the main shows in the theater. He usually leaves the other events to the fun team.

Next month will be my 5th time on the Fascination and the last 4 times, Trevor has always been an elusive CD. I don't think it mattered that his family was on board.

He mainly graces us with his presence before the main shows in the theater. He usually leaves the other events to the fun team.

If he is not doing his BEST, and his family comes first (as expected) then it DOES matter and perhaps he should find a new line of work that does not demand a lot of his time.

My Wife may have a copy or two; what were you looking to see?

I just wanted to read them to see the daily activities in advance. Sometimes we get so busy on the ship that we dont take the time to read them.

Archived