AT&T on the dream

BKJK

I have a question about cell service, I called att and I got the rates for all three ports. However , I was wondering during sea days , do you recieve any service? When we went years ago I think we just turned our phones off till we were in ports . Since we are leaving the kids this time at home I was hopeing we could get service....

Your phone will work just like at home - as long as you have international service activated. Cellular at Sea is the service provider on board - while at sea.

Here is a link that explains how it works: http://www.cellularatsea.com/guest_services.htm.

$2.49 per minute for calls and .50 per text (in and or out). Your minutes and rate package from home will not apply because as Cruise-Crazy stated it international roaming.

I have a question about cell service, I called att and I got the rates for all three ports. However , I was wondering during sea days , do you recieve any service? When we went years ago I think we just turned our phones off till we were in ports . Since we are leaving the kids this time at home I was hopeing we could get service....

BKJK,

You'll have no issues with signal in any of the locations you're traveling to; Nassau has a $19.98 per MB data rate that will kick in with any usage at all and you're better off using Cellular @ Sea. St Thomas is AT&T home coverage area and you can use your phone just like you're at home. I don't recall the provider in St Maarten, but it wasn't AT&T. On board you'll be using Cellular @ Sea. Service is good on board. After you leave port from St Maarten you'll hit AT&T as you pass St Thomas and San Juan, but your signal will be weak at best and will be in the wee hours of the morning. Your best bet for a day to call and check in would be from St Thomas.

Thank you so much, I was wondering one more thing, if you get a call and dont answer and someone leaves a voice message and you dont listen to it, do you still get a charge?

Thank you so much, I was wondering one more thing, if you get a call and dont answer and someone leaves a voice message and you dont listen to it, do you still get a charge?

BKJK,

Yes. If the phone is on and a number pops up, that's data. You'll also get dinged for the time your phone spends downloading the voice mail.

In my case I just see what the charges would have been because they're all covered with my plan, but my son's plans rack up the charges. :o

We keep phone on airplane mode. We text home once per day at sea. In St. Thomas we call home. Get the wii fi on board and you can email or even skype.

Depending on the phone - that may not solve the problem :cool:.

If/when you take it out of airplane mode to send the text and have not disabled the data features....it will download the data and you will be charged :eek:.

We keep phone on airplane mode. We text home once per day at sea. In St. Thomas we call home. Get the wii fi on board and you can email or even skype.

Crap! A "DDP" - Dreaded Double Post :cool:.

But....here is a thread that was on the NCL boards that discussed in detail "airplane mode" pros and cons - it might be helpful. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1378745 It is the same system - Cellular at Sea, with both cruise lines, so the information applies to Carnival cruises as well.

Archived