Jellyfish stings

jackiechan1

I recently snorkeled on Palancar Reef in Cozumel and the experience was nto as enjoyable because of the frequest jellyfish stings. This is the second time I have snorkeled here and the second time I have been stung. They told me it was due to the weather Both times it was windy) but when I have done other snorkeling excursions to other than Palancar Reef I didn't experience the jelly fish stinging. I am wondering if it is just at Palancar? I am going back in March for another cruise and am trying to decide where to snorkel. thanks for any info

To prevent jellyfish stings, either wear a diveskin, wetsuit, or some other type of all-over protection. Years ago, we had to waterski in jeans and flannel shirts on Chesapeake Bay.

Yes, you can see a lot of jellies - but there are teeny-tiny transparent babies to give you a suprise. Please bear in mind that there are many different animals out there, and that the sting we feel is their feeding and defense mechanism.

Most jellies that you will run into are relatively harmless to people. Comb jellies don't have a sting that we can really feel (Ctenophores). Moon jellies might be considered a low-sting experience. Sea Nettles will cause a display of bad language for most people (Chrysaora), and for howling, mess with the potent Man O'War (Physalia). The nasty (and sometimes fatal) Box Jellies live downunder in Australian waters.

No, I don't know what kind of jellyfish you ran into in Cozumel, but if you can identify it, I would love to know.

After you get stung, the handiest cure-all is (you're not going to believe this) urine. Yes, go right ahead and wee on it. There are a number of old standbys that work well (lemon juice, meat tenderizer, baking soda), and commercial anti-sting preparations are also available.

Why do such different remedies work?

The sting of a jellyfish comes from a protein. When you deform the protein, the stinging sensation decreases or stops. Thus, home remedies that work are either acidic (lemon juice, urine) or basic (baking soda, meat tenderizer).

For some more information on jellies, take a look at Jellieszone http://jellieszone.com/index.html

Happy snorkeling!

Wendy

Laura-

Chloraseptic sounds like a wonderful idea! Easy to use and multi-purpose. I don't know if the xylocaine cream would be available here in the states, though.

I wear at least a skin, lycra hood and gloves every time I get in the water.

The last time I wore just a swimsuit was diving off the beach in Ft. Lauderdale about 10 years ago. DH and another buddy were fanning moon jellies away from themselves, but mainly at me because I was in the middle. I managed to duck under most of them, but one ended up splat on the back of my neck and top of my shoulders, trapped under my 1st stage. Tentacle side to me, naturally.

Too bad we didn't have a video camera - I'm sure my gyrations getting the darn thing off my neck and out of my BC would have placed on one of the home video shows!

Wendy

I heard that a lotion product called Seasafe was a good preventive measure for Jellies & Sealice. Although I've never been attacked by the critters, I use the lotion everytime I'm in the water while on a cruise.

Sea lice are members of the same family of critters.

Cover up and you will be fine. Another trick is to grab a hose for a freshwater rinse after you get out of the water, and before you climb out of your suit.

After living in FL for 19 years, diving, fishing, swimming, and working in the water year-round, I've only run into sea lice twice. Really, don't worry about jellies all that much. Worry about sunburn!

Wendy

next up

Splendour of the Seas Apr 23 2005

I did a web search on this and the medical sites recommend for most any sting you get in the ocean to pour vinegar over the sting, let it stay for a few minutes then if there are any stingers in the skin pull out with tweezers or scrape off with a shell (do not touch with fingers). Then pour more vinegar over the area stung. Also meat tenderizer is recommended.:eek: I think it will be inconvenient to carry around vinegar, but could be worth it - especially with children.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have been living on a small caribbean island (Dominica) for the last 5 months, and I have been going snorkeling 2-3 times per week. When I first started snorkeling I did not think that there were any jelly fish around here. Then about 2 months ago I was snorkeling around 5:00 PM (about the time the starts to set here), and I felt an electric shock go up my arm. I look around to find that I am surrounded by walnut sized totally transparent jellies. I managed to get back to shore with only a few stings. Ever since then I have been stung at least once every time I go out. I'm guessing that their appearance is a seasonal ocurrence, and that they drift towards shore later in the day.

My wife tells me that she does not even feel them sting her, which confirms the idea that certain people have more reaction to jellies than others.

Basically, the best thing to make the pain go away for me is time (I usually have no pain by the time I get out of the water).

On the bright side, if you do get stung, you wont see it coming.

We were in Hawaii and my mom took the kids for 'one last walk' one the beach before leaving - as they walked in the surf they all got stung by the jellies - right before a 5 hour plane ride. We poured vinegar on their legs and the sting went away along with the redness and itch. I was stung earlier in the week, had no vinegar and the sting and itch lasted for several days, as did the redness on my arm.

Plain vinegar works.

Archived