Vatican Gardens in winter/January?

stinesheri

Anyone do the Vatican Gardens in late January? What were your experiences? Pictures would help if anyone has any - most I found on line seem to be taken in spring/summer.

I don't expect flowers, and my personal 'garden' is mainly comprised of formal shrubs, which I love, but still wonder if it is worth it during a land based trip to Rome.

We did the Vatican Museums on the last trip, so not interested in that again, but will go back and tour the Basillica, as well as a trip to the top. Thanks!

The Vatican Gardens are only accessible by booking the guided tour via the Vatican Museum website or Tikitaly . The gardens are worth visiting all year round . They are spectacular by their immense size and are the type of gardens that are that classic Italian layout with the emphasis being on mainly shades of green in everything . Not to be missed . Numbers are limited per tour and only two tours per day thirty minutes apart each morning . Be sure to pre book on line in advance via the sources as indicated above.

PS: Don't wander off on your own whilst in the Gardens or all hell breaks loose. One clown in our group went missing when the tour was over and we were not allowed to leave until the Vaticano Security & Caribinieri found him. Then and only then after sitting around for 40 minutes were we allowed out as the group of 32 that had entered some hours earlier . The Security people and Caribinieri went into total Italian meltdown , lots of shouting , arm waving and so on till, they found he who had strayed from the flock .

Archived