Secret snorkel spot-Half Moon Cay

vacationfun

We have read on a thread somewhere (we look on a bunch of cruise websites so can't remember where) that there is a spot on Half Moon Cay that actually has reefs and some pretty decent snorkeling. Have been on HMC twice before back in 1998. We did not find anything much to see on the beach side--as in reefs, fish. Just a lot of sand and a rock wall. But someone said something about an area behind the beach. (?) Could that be a reference to the lagoon area? Can anyone enlighten us? Are snorkelers even allowed to go in the water anywhere except the beach?

We did take the cruise ship's snorkel trip one of those times we were on HMC, and even though there were 3 ft. seas that day, there was lots to see. Swam around with 3 huge sea turtles and saw nice reef and fish. But we'd much prefer to snorkel off the island if there's any good place to go.

Thanks in advance for your help!

There's some modest snorkeling on the beach side of the rock jetty that defines the channel for the tenders.

It seems to improve somewhat each year. I was last at HMC in November and there were a fair number of fish. You can swim out to that area easily.

HMC suffered from last year's hurricanes but recent reports indicate vegetation is returning. It's still a beautiful beach.

With 150 viewers already to this post SURELY someone has been adventurous and tried to snorkel somewhere OTHER THAN the beach! How about those who have gone on the stingray snorkel at HMC? Where was that held? Can you access the area off the island without a boat? Was there anything to see there other than the rays?

Seems like we read that someone who went on the guided kayak trip (was it kayaks?) in the lagoon observed that there were small coral heads there. Does anyone know if snorkelers are allowed in the lagoon?

If no one can volunteer anything more, then WE will have to be the guinea pigs for everyone else. But you'll have to wait until the end of the summer to get our report because we don't cruise until then... :-)

We swam with the stingrays at HMC. It was across the island. We took a truck there, very bumpy ride, and I did not pay any attention to where excactly we were. The stingrays were in a "pen" with fencing around (underwater fencing). There were some other fishes there as well, but nothing spectacular.

I was at HMC last October. Went snorkling with my daughter . She was 16 at the time. The area we went to was a short walk south of the beach area. There was not much to see. But the water was clear. Unlike the beach area, which was very cloudy. Wasn't fun for me because I was watching out for her the whole time. This beach was deserted. But it was fun.

• 2 weeks later...

We were there in March- and last year at the same time. There were definitely alot more fish this year. We found some decent snorkling over in the children's area, in front and around where the climbing toys are. There were tons of fish!

We even saw a baraccuda!!!

good luck

Archived